Gransnet forums

News & politics

Nicola Bulley 45y Old mum of 2 little girls missing from River Wyre area since last Friday morning at 9:15am walking her dog, Willow.

(797 Posts)
Urmstongran Tue 31-Jan-23 17:18:37

This, in the news is breaking my heart.
I hope she comes home safe soon - but every passing day is such a worry.

Urmstongran Fri 24-Feb-23 10:34:31

The date of the full inquest has been set for June 26 in Preston.

25Avalon Fri 24-Feb-23 10:13:41

All there is to know will come out at the inquest. Meanwhile let Nicola’s family hold the funeral and mourn her in peace. I do hope the press and others will respect this.

Urmstongran Fri 24-Feb-23 09:59:01

Yes I agree there has been too much speculation. I too think an open verdict will be reached by the Coroner GSM.

The finer details are none of our business. I just feel so very sorry that Nicola’s family are grieving a most horrendous death and such a shock for them to come to terms with and navigate.

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 24-Feb-23 09:07:56

As I said upthread, it’s very unlikely that the circumstances in which she came to be in the river will ever be known and the coroner will record an open verdict. The inquest will provide more background and detail the pathologist’s findings, but a verdict of suicide would only be given where there was no doubt that she had intended to take her life. At present we know of no evidence that that was the case.

M0nica Fri 24-Feb-23 07:18:51

I have seen no evidence to suggest that this lady committed suicide. Why are people always so uwilling to accept the simple and obvious explanantion for cases like this? She slipped, probably doing somethhing with the dog beside the river . She slipped and fell in. The water was very cold, she was wearing lots of clothes and boots. Read any expert description of how falling into cold water can effect and kill a person in a very short period.

argymargy Fri 24-Feb-23 06:29:33

While I agree that this thread is largely supportive, I do wonder why it has been decided here that Ms Bulley committed suicide because of the menopause? We never met her, we know nothing about her. Drowning yourself is surely a very difficult thing to do.

25Avalon Thu 23-Feb-23 23:21:13

Not necessarily GSM from my personal experience. I expect the family want to get on and have the funeral. We waited 4 years for an inquest but we’re allowed the funeral once the pm had taken place.

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 23-Feb-23 18:43:00

I would think that means the pathologist found nothing which might lead to suspicion that anyone else was involved.

25Avalon Thu 23-Feb-23 18:20:38

Nicola’s body has been released for a funeral. The Inquest is set for June. It’s good the inquest is so soon. Often people wait months or even years and live iIn limbo.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 22-Feb-23 18:01:50

Anniebach

I would like to say to all who have lost a loved one through suicide, my grief, my hurt, was not caused by my darling
Catherine, she would never hurt me, an illness robbed Catherine of her life and robbed me of my darling daughter and best friend. You all are victims of an illness not your loved one x

You have a beautiful soul Anniebach ❤️

Kate1949 Wed 22-Feb-23 18:00:11

That's a lovely post Annie. Yes it's illness. My brother left a note saying sorry.sad

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 22-Feb-23 17:14:52

She certainly is Norah. A very kind, compassionate and understanding lady of faith despite the hand life has dealt her, 💐

Norah Wed 22-Feb-23 17:12:29

Anniebach

I would like to say to all who have lost a loved one through suicide, my grief, my hurt, was not caused by my darling
Catherine, she would never hurt me, an illness robbed Catherine of her life and robbed me of my darling daughter and best friend. You all are victims of an illness not your loved one x

What a lovely thoughtful mum you are. flowers

Galaxy Wed 22-Feb-23 17:09:14

You speak beautifully about her Annie. flowers

Anniebach Wed 22-Feb-23 17:01:23

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 22-Feb-23 13:14:24

Thank you Dickens. I’m lucky though, I’m here. Poor Annie, Joseanne and Kate carry an enormous burden. I am grateful not to walk in their shoes. My situation isn’t comparable and I only wanted to give some insight into the mind of one suicidal person from personal experience, but I am humbled by the kindness I have been shown.

Dickens Wed 22-Feb-23 13:06:51

Germanshepherdsmum

All sympathy offered on this thread has been very obviously genuine. There has been no wallowing in the misery of others, but recognition of grief and despair and much empathy and heartfelt support. I trust that those critical people who have said they will not post on the thread again will be true to their word.

I suspect it was one of those 'flying visits' to make a point, brook no argument, and fly off again!

How a thread can be judged without the comments being read, I've no idea. It's a bit like deciding you don't like a book because of its title - not reading it - and then passing judgement on it!

I think you're right. The majority of posts are heartfelt and genuine and there's a sense of having raised awareness of a very real problem for many women at different stages of their lives, and I for one am humbled reading the posts from those like annie and, not least, yourself. flowers

25Avalon Wed 22-Feb-23 08:27:47

Nicola’s sister has vowed to spread the love for Nikki. We should do likewise on GN but I think most of our posts already do despite the odd remark otherwise. This thread has so much empathy, kindness and empathy, tinged with sadness for some who’ve experienced similar happenings. God bless you all.

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 22-Feb-23 08:08:35

All sympathy offered on this thread has been very obviously genuine. There has been no wallowing in the misery of others, but recognition of grief and despair and much empathy and heartfelt support. I trust that those critical people who have said they will not post on the thread again will be true to their word.

Joseanne Wed 22-Feb-23 07:59:08

There's room for every person on every thread to discuss things agreeably, even though we don’t actually agree. I've seen threads on here about someone in the news having say a miscarriage or a marriage break up, then posters are prompted to discuss their own painful experiences referring to how that individual might be feeling, ven though we don't know them. I don't think it is being intrusive to offer sympathy to anyone.
When receiving sympathy on here I don't think it is a fake gesture, in fact this discussion has made me think I will reciprocate all the more when a poster wants to open up about something they have experienced.

BlueBelle Wed 22-Feb-23 04:54:48

Glorianny

Anniebach

Yet you read the posts Glorianny

Actually I haven't Anniebach. It's a subject I found distasteful from the thread title. Then listening to the family statement on the news it struck me how many seem unable to do anything but wallow in other's misery.

As you say you haven’t read the posts Glorianna why on earth are you commenting at all Please do explain why you feel the need to be on a thread you find distasteful
It doesn’t make sense at all

nanna8 Wed 22-Feb-23 01:38:27

A bit of reverse psychology going on with Glorianny? Rather sad. The vast majority of posts seem compassionate on this thread but I suppose we all interpret things in a different way.

JaneJudge Tue 21-Feb-23 22:23:08

I agree Dickens, the posts I read were quite the reverse of that post and just posters/real people recalling their own experiences where their own families have received horrible comments and judgement too following situations such as these

Dickens Tue 21-Feb-23 20:33:39

Glorianny

I'm sorry but using Nicola as an excuse to discuss something you should be able to to talk about without reference to a particular person, someone you do not know. shows two things. Firstly that expressing personal experiences is still taboo and secondly that GN is just another exploitative social media outlet. although one in which older women use professed sympathy to be intrusive.
By all means let's have these discussions, but to do so by utilising someone else's tragedy, no matter how sympathetic you may feel you are being, is just wrong.
Try putting yourself in Nicola's family's shoes. Would you want anyone talking about your loved one?
And I don't propose to post any more. If someone wants to discuss mental health issues I would contribute to such a thread.

I'm sorry but using Nicola as an excuse to discuss something you should be able to to talk about without reference to a particular person...

It is because of Nicola that we are talking about depression, suicide, and the menopause.
If you had read the posts you would see that at least three people have had profound personal experiences with both depression and suicide and the comments have been as much about them as about Nicola.
It is, as others have pointed out, quite normal for people to respond to dramatic and traumatic events by talking about them. It is how you talk about these events and the people involved that matters, not the fact that you are. You think it is wrong, others obviously don't agree with you.
You haven't read the posts. Perhaps you should have done before passing judgment.

Iam64 Tue 21-Feb-23 20:33:06

As you haven’t read the thread Gloryannie, it may be wise not to accuse others of contributing to an exploitative social media outlet…..older women use professed sympathy to be intrusive.
I have read the thread and your analysis seems far from reflecting what the vast majority of posters have said.