Gransnet forums

News & politics

Guy Verhofstadt says “Happy Brexit Day”

(215 Posts)
Urmstongran Tue 31-Jan-23 17:38:15

It’s a journey, not an event.
It’s only been 2 years - 11 months were tied to EU legislation.
We’ve ‘saved’ £198 BILLION not being part of the European furlough and QE packages.
I’m glad we’re out.
“Things can only get better” 🎵 🎶 as the song said!

MaizieD Mon 06-Feb-23 13:15:04

glammagran

The richest country in the world gets the biggest share of EU money. Look it up.

I'm sure you could do better than that, glammagran.

How about a link to your source for that statement?

glammagran Mon 06-Feb-23 13:02:56

The richest country in the world gets the biggest share of EU money. Look it up.

FannyCornforth Sun 05-Feb-23 09:28:17

vegansrock over the couple of years, the workings of the Active List have got steadily worse and worse.
It doesn’t seem to function properly at all.
It’s just a random selection of threads that have been posted on over the course of a day or so

FannyCornforth Sun 05-Feb-23 09:24:36

effalump

Guy Verhofstadt! Doesn't he just remind you of the office letch? The one that stinks of booze and cigarettes and only speaks to a woman's breasts and probably licks his lips often. EEEuw!

Yes, definitely not Guy Verhofstadt.
And it’s spelt EU wink

vegansrock Sun 05-Feb-23 07:13:57

Whenever I comment on a Brexit thread they never seem to move up the active list is there a reason for this ? I am repeating this in the hope it moves!
It’s been three years since the UK officially left the EU and two years since the end of the transition period:
• Brexit is costing the UK economy one million pounds per hour (ONS)
• Brexit means we have around £20 billion a year less available for public spending (Full Fact/UK Statistic Authority)
• £200 added to yearly household food bills (CEP)
• 4/10 British farms forced to leave crops rotting in fields (NFU)
• £900bn in assets transferred out of the UK (New Financial)
• The IMF has forecast that the UK will be the only advanced economy that will shrink this year, including Russia which is still under international sanctions.
• In the Omnisis weekly Brexit sentiment tracker, 62% of people would vote to re-join the European Union if there was another referendum. (Feb 23)

MayBee70 Sat 04-Feb-23 23:05:45

effalump

Guy Verhofstadt! Doesn't he just remind you of the office letch? The one that stinks of booze and cigarettes and only speaks to a woman's breasts and probably licks his lips often. EEEuw!

I can only assume that you don’t have the faintest idea who Guy Verhofstadt is confused?

varian Sat 04-Feb-23 18:20:54

Err No, effalump That's Nigel Farage.

effalump Sat 04-Feb-23 17:08:30

JaneJudge Sat 04-Feb-23 12:39:40

I wont forget Nigel on TV the following morning after the result laughing that the money on the side of the bus, what a lot of people had voted for, would not be going to the NHS after all. It may explain why my dentist is no longer an NHS dentist and my GP surgery has announced it is closing as it is no longer viable to run service.

Lucky me

MaizieD Sat 04-Feb-23 12:29:04

suelld

Whitewavemark2 - I said all this at the time - it has, as I said, been a disaster based on lies . But no one listened to me?
shock. wink. Why? ! ?

I expect that no-one listened to you because you're not a well known lying journalist, loveable TV panel game participant and former Mayor of London grin

suelld Sat 04-Feb-23 11:31:19

Whitewavemark2 - I said all this at the time - it has, as I said, been a disaster based on lies . But no one listened to me?
shock. wink. Why? ! ?

Callistemon21 Fri 03-Feb-23 22:43:26

All that was on the ballot paper was leave /stay

Yes.

Some voters may have been happy to stay in a single market but were concerned about the further political integration of the EU but there was no option for that.

It was poorly devised and carried out, a stark choice.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 03-Feb-23 22:06:44

I think it simply proves that referendums are a very bad idea.

All that was on the ballot paper was leave /stay and the U.K. voting population made probably the most serious decision that has been made in the U.K. perhaps since the decision to go to war, without having a clue what Brexit meant.

We all thought we did, but we were all wrong weren’t we?

All that it has achieved is a country seriously divided, a political class who is mistrusted and no longer respected or believed and an economy that is smaller.

We need a post-Brexit reconstruction, but this time one that is intelligent, with an eye to bringing the country together behind a common cause, giving us optimism for the future.

Oreo Fri 03-Feb-23 21:30:46

It doesn’t matter how many Andy’s voted to leave the EU or how many of them voted to stay, they were all entitled to a vote.
You may wish that the vote was only given to intelligent people who understand things such as politics, economics and so on, but democracy isn’t like that.
Brexit soured relations with EU member countries but it looks like things are starting to be more ‘cordial’ now and European countries either in or out of the EU need to stick together, the war in Ukraine proves that.

Dickens Fri 03-Feb-23 21:12:07

Greta

Yes, MaizieD, I heard the LBC conversation. I think the guy was called Andy. At one stage I thought he must just be winding JOB up. But no, he actually believed what he said. It makes you wonder how many more Andy's voted to leave.

th.bing.com/th/id/OIP.XlaTlbU46DOjg9G4fVJkzwHaE8?pid=ImgDet&rs=1

Greta Fri 03-Feb-23 18:56:48

Yes, MaizieD, I heard the LBC conversation. I think the guy was called Andy. At one stage I thought he must just be winding JOB up. But no, he actually believed what he said. It makes you wonder how many more Andy's voted to leave.

DaisyAnne Fri 03-Feb-23 16:50:42

Urmstongran

Actually you talk a lot of sense DaisyAnne. As you say, we have left. Now we have to make the best of it. Long term, I believe we will.

Long term, I also believe we will, but not under this government who are running it down, bit by bit.

Mamie Fri 03-Feb-23 16:17:23

The EU is not punishing people. The UK asked to become a third country and that is indeed what it has become. Our Australian and American friends have always been registered when they come into the EU and had to be careful not to overstay. The UK is now in the same situation.
Etias should ultimately make things quicker.
Our French residency cards, like ID cards, already have our photo and fingerprints; that is why we don't need to get our passports stamped.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 03-Feb-23 15:47:12

maddyone

We should definitely have a closer relationship as Whitewave suggests and that will mitigate some of the problems, but with the EU bent on punishing us, as outlined in my earlier post re entry to EU for us and entry to the UK for their citizens, I don’t see how that will happen.

All that will come out and be decided.

We will of course have to concede stuff, but we were always prepared to do that until as I said the headbangers got control.

Get rid of the extremes and common sense and a recognition over what is best for the U.K. will prevail I am sure.

Unfortunately I am now going out for the evening so will leave this conversation.

MaizieD Fri 03-Feb-23 15:46:33

maddyone

We should definitely have a closer relationship as Whitewave suggests and that will mitigate some of the problems, but with the EU bent on punishing us, as outlined in my earlier post re entry to EU for us and entry to the UK for their citizens, I don’t see how that will happen.

They are treating us as the third country we became on leaving the EU.

We, I'll remind you, despite promises to the contrary, used EU citizens living in the UK as bargaining cards. Which was highly dishonourable.

All this talk of 'punishment is, I regret to say, infantile.

maddyone Fri 03-Feb-23 15:41:57

Whitewavemark2 Fri 03-Feb-23 15:30:15

Whitewavemark2

😄😄😄

That was to maizie

Whitewavemark2 Fri 03-Feb-23 15:28:53

Absolutely, but this will not happen very quickly - if at all- and almost certainly not in my life time (77).

It takes a minimum of 10 years from application.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 03-Feb-23 15:27:22

😄😄😄

Maremia Fri 03-Feb-23 15:26:48

Or, Whitewavemark2 we could mitigate even more of the damage by REJOINING!!!