Gransnet forums

News & politics

I see Liz Truss is set to relaunch her bid for leadership

(176 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Sat 04-Feb-23 11:12:21

Well, good luck with that!

The country can’t afford her.

varian Sat 18-Feb-23 17:59:11

Truss should have the self awareness and the humility to hang her head in shame and retire from front line politics/

Grantanow Mon 13-Feb-23 09:16:33

Perhaps she could be offered a prime ambassadorship - say Penguinland or failing that, the Moon.

Callistemon21 Sun 12-Feb-23 15:14:28

If I ever meet Iacob I'll try to remember some phrases.

Casdon Sun 12-Feb-23 14:59:21

I bet you remember enough to translate a few mottoes though Callistemon21, which was all he was asked to do? I think most of us actually do know more Latin than we think, ,because it’s used as the basis for other words, I’m quite good at translating Latin names for plants - not that it’s much use for mottoes!

Callistemon21 Sun 12-Feb-23 14:54:06

There is no apostrophe in Romans, autocorrect!

Callistemon21 Sun 12-Feb-23 14:53:14

Casdon

Siope

To be fair, Rees-Mogg himself has publicly said he doesn’t speak Latin at all.

I wonder why, he went to Eton, so he should be able to at least speak the basics, as we ordinary people who learned French at school can.

I learnt Latin to 'A' level but I can't ever remember having Latin conversations at school, as we did with French.

Reading, reading out loud, translating, but not chatting as the Roman's would have done.

I've forgotten most of it too. But I am older than J R-M

HousePlantQueen Sun 12-Feb-23 14:48:42

JRM is all talk, a pretentious prig.

Siope Sun 12-Feb-23 12:55:40

Because he’s quite thick? He said in an interview that he wished he did know Latin, so I wonder why he never bothered to learn? I didn’t even start studying it until I was in my 30s, despite always wanting to. It wasn’t offered at my comprehensive, or even at evening classes locally until then, but if I had Rees-Mogg’s money, I’d have found a private tutor years before. I suspect he doesn’t actually care about it at all, it’s all just part of his ‘I am superior’ languid toff act.

Casdon Sun 12-Feb-23 12:41:38

Siope

I wonder why, he went to Eton, so he should be able to at least speak the basics, as we ordinary people who learned French at school can.

Siope Sun 12-Feb-23 12:23:48

Siope Sun 12-Feb-23 12:19:45

Jacob Rees-Mogg has never shown any evidence of being able to speak Latin. He drops quotes into his speeches and tweets, but when an LBC presenter quizzed him in some simple Latin, the only answer JRM could translate was his school motto.

Johnson does the same with Greek (and he gets it wrong often anyway).

M0nica Fri 10-Feb-23 22:39:10

Boris Johnson and JRM?

Glorianny Fri 10-Feb-23 11:44:46

varian

If only she'd had help from Jacob Rees Mogg - she might have got the Latin right.

But she'd still have got everything that actually matters as wrong as ids possible to be wrong.

OMG Liz Truss and JRM!!! Can anyone think of a worse combination?

varian Thu 09-Feb-23 18:04:31

If only she'd had help from Jacob Rees Mogg - she might have got the Latin right.

But she'd still have got everything that actually matters as wrong as ids possible to be wrong.

Chocolatelovinggran Thu 09-Feb-23 17:36:44

Dickens, she can't say mea culpa because it's Latin, and she had a Truly Terrible Education during the left wing government of the famous leftie Margaret Thatcher. Fellow students disagree, and she did gain a place at a prestigious university but hey - it must be true, right?

Anniel Thu 09-Feb-23 16:46:47

Just saw you post Mamie, great comment!

Mamie Wed 08-Feb-23 09:46:18

Glorianny

Could we have a "Bring back the lettuce" campaign? I'm sure it can do as well as any of them.

Lettuce pray. 😂

Luckygirl3 Wed 08-Feb-23 09:30:15

The woman is deluded. Anyone with half a brain would quietly fade into the background.

Glorianny Wed 08-Feb-23 09:29:01

Could we have a "Bring back the lettuce" campaign? I'm sure it can do as well as any of them.

Katie59 Wed 08-Feb-23 09:23:04

M0nica

Shall we start a 'Bring back Teresa May' campaign? grin

No, yesterdays woman, we are just going to have to muddle through with Sunak, if he believes a cabinet reshuffle is going to fix anything he will be disappointed

M0nica Tue 07-Feb-23 21:45:31

Shall we start a 'Bring back Teresa May' campaign? grin

HousePlantQueen Tue 07-Feb-23 21:30:36

Whitewavemark2

👀

grin

M0nica Tue 07-Feb-23 21:10:43

At least we now know that she is not a conviction politician, she is someone in it only for what she can get out of it.

She must have known that what she said would destabilse and and undermine the party she professed to support, but she didn't care, all she was interested in was herself and her career.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 07-Feb-23 18:26:44

👀

Siope Tue 07-Feb-23 15:28:13

‘Fisking the Trussay’ from the FT (not paywalled), is a delightful analysis:

www.ft.com/content/290bdbaf-549e-4cca-8628-05bd5768b00f