Gransnet forums

News & politics

Really. Is this what the country needs ?

(110 Posts)
westendgirl Mon 06-Mar-23 10:19:32

What do Grans think of Boris Johnson putting forward his father for a lordship .

Callistemon21 Fri 10-Mar-23 22:47:08

Casdon

His dog is called Dilyn, not Dilwyn - a different name altogether. It means ‘to follow’, but the dog was already called that by the charity he was adopted from.

Thanks Casdon

I was confused, thinking Dilwyn must be the name of a crony of Boris's.

LadyHonoriaDedlock Fri 10-Mar-23 13:27:10

I see he's having another go at getting Paul Dacre through, after he's previously been rejected as unsuitable.

Maybe I'm naive but politicians should have no business handing out gongs to the people who are supposed to be holding them to account. Nor should they be hobnobbing with them on their private yachts or accepting the use of their Caribbean retreats.

Freedom of the Press is fine when it's about protecting the rights of citizens to hold the feet of their governors to the fire. It's not all right for global media barons to do the governing.

Casdon Fri 10-Mar-23 13:12:57

His dog is called Dilyn, not Dilwyn - a different name altogether. It means ‘to follow’, but the dog was already called that by the charity he was adopted from.

Grantanow Fri 10-Mar-23 13:06:36

I never said Dilwyn was an unsatisfactory name being Welsh in origin. I can't help it that the Buffoon chose the name for his dog. Dogpile has several meanings other than a pile of dog faeces. One is 'a disorderly pile of people' which could well reflect this incompetent Tory government.

MawtheMerrier Fri 10-Mar-23 10:47:00

Fleurpepper

Do the people who are honoured with the Legion d'Honneur take part and have a decision making role, in the Governement???

No of course not, and nor do the thousands (hundreds of thousands?) of MBE’s, OBE’s, CBE’s, Knights, Dames, Orders of Merit, Companions of Honour etc

Comparing apples and oranges.

Fleurpepper Fri 10-Mar-23 08:58:37

Do the people who are honoured with the Legion d'Honneur take part and have a decision making role, in the Governement???

M0nica Fri 10-Mar-23 08:39:46

Even the French, those arch-republicans, have the Legion d'Honneur.

There is nothing wrong with the honours system, almost every country has one, it is just that ours is corrupt and outdated and needs revising.

Nominations must be taken out of political or individual hands, and while I am quite happy that a knighthood is the top of the heap. I think the title 'Lord', as an honour should only be used by people nominated to the second house for a fixed term and only used while they are active members.

vintage1950 Thu 09-Mar-23 17:59:14

I think that the House of Lords is very useful, especially its committees. There aren't many hereditary peers left and it would probably be a good idea to get rid of those. We do need a second Chamber to examine bills passed by the Commons. Life peers bring a wide variety of experience to the job.

Callistemon21 Thu 09-Mar-23 14:31:56

Grantanow

It's disgraceful. Next on his list will be Sir Dilwyn of Dogpile.

There is nothing wrong with the Welsh name Dilwyn and there is no need to associate it with dog sh*t.

Farzanah Thu 09-Mar-23 13:56:04

I think it’s a great idea from Johnson because it highlights how this time warped shabby system of bestowing honours, for dubious reasons, for what it is, and hastening the day when it will be abolished.

Fleurpepper Thu 09-Mar-23 13:27:46

Fleurpepper

Please sign the petition and share, share, share - thanks

chng.it/kHPycZwJPP

Over 250.000 - keep going, keep sharing.

Grantanow Thu 09-Mar-23 11:20:45

It's disgraceful. Next on his list will be Sir Dilwyn of Dogpile.

Zuki Wed 08-Mar-23 19:02:24

In not aware his Dads done anything to deserve any award but there are lots of people in the house of lords who just have a dog collar aren't there and then there's S u e Gray getting a top job with Labour she wasn't supposed to have any political bias Then there are all these presenters and newsreaders like on Gb news
wearing dog collars why Wil nurses be on next wearing they uniform to read the news .No don't give the Dad of Norris recognition when no one knows what it's for and get rid of the house of lords they aren't necessary are they

MaizieD Wed 08-Mar-23 11:51:11

Goldieoldie15

And his still unpublished, despite many promises to do so, Russia report. I would also like it to be revealed who exactly financed the Brexit campaign. Those things do not come cheap

The Russia Report was published in, IIRC, July 2020.

It can be accessed here:

isc.independent.gov.uk/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/20200721_HC632_CCS001_CCS1019402408-001_ISC_Russia_Report_Web_Accessible.pdf

Fleurpepper Wed 08-Mar-23 10:03:15

If you think this is a farce, please sign the above petition, and make it BIG

foxie48 Wed 08-Mar-23 09:20:51

And yet again...why was he in Italy visiting Lebedev's father who is ex KGB, without his aides when he was Foreign Secretary?????????

Goldieoldie15 Tue 07-Mar-23 22:01:46

And his still unpublished, despite many promises to do so, Russia report. I would also like it to be revealed who exactly financed the Brexit campaign. Those things do not come cheap

Fleurpepper Tue 07-Mar-23 21:57:28

www.change.org/p/rishi-sunak-should-block-boris-johnson-s-plan-to-give-an-honour-to-his-father?utm_content=cl_sharecopy_35602784_en-GB%3A4&recruited_by_id=6b40c320-bcf1-11ed-a2db-b9ac00a734d6&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink&utm_campaign=psf_combo_share_initial&share_bandit_exp=initial-35602784-en-US

Fleurpepper Tue 07-Mar-23 21:48:57

over 141.000 signed- what a message sent! Keep it going.

Shizam Tue 07-Mar-23 21:44:40

Johnson is one of the worst things ever to have happened to Britain. A corrupt sociopath who has charmed his way into every powerful part of this country. Cannot stand him. Or his father.

Grandmama Tue 07-Mar-23 18:33:33

The honours system appals me. Why should people be honoured for simply doing their jobs? Or giving money to the political party in power? Or cutting the PM's hair (I think Camerons's barber was honoured). Any honours should be for those doing entirely voluntary work. The House of Lords is far too big. Some of them attend, get their allowance for it but contribute nothing. However I think there are people in the HoL who are savvy and do a good job picking through what the HoC sends them when new laws are being debated.

TanaMa Tue 07-Mar-23 18:14:38

The whole thing needs to be discontinued. Over the years so many titles dished out to the wrong people, including 'pop stars'!!

Parsley3 Tue 07-Mar-23 18:00:25

According to Rachel Johnson, Stanley has done sterling work for the Conservative party and environmental issues. The family seems to have forgiven him for breaking his wife's nose but unfortunately since his son taints everything he touches, I doubt if Sir Stanley of Entitlement with be gracing the news any time soon.

foxie48 Tue 07-Mar-23 17:54:50

I've also signed and shared on fb. It's up to 68K.

varian Tue 07-Mar-23 17:48:32

I'm surprised he's not suggesting that his dad should get a hereditary peerage - Earl or Duke maybe. How about Earl of Scandal or Duke of Dissemination?