Gransnet forums

News & politics

David Attenborough programme episode censored by the ‘political right’?

(23 Posts)
Grantanow Sun 12-Mar-23 23:53:49

If the extra episode is of good enough quality for iPlayer then the BBC should show it on free to air television. It would reach a wider audience and the BBC would be seen not to give in to Tory lobbying.

Fleurpepper Sat 11-Mar-23 09:05:21

Perfectly fine here and so well said. It is all linked anyhow.

MawtheMerrier Sat 11-Mar-23 09:02:22

Sorry - posted on wrong thread!

MawtheMerrier Sat 11-Mar-23 09:01:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

yggdrasil Sat 11-Mar-23 07:54:59

Impartiality for the BBC means doing whatever the Govt says, regardless of the truth.
This is a disgusting travesty of what the BBC was founded for and was intended to be

Whitewavemark2 Sat 11-Mar-23 07:12:23

With regard to the “truth” or otherwise about the 6th episode, that remains to be seen.

Of course the BBC will push back denying that it was fearful of pressure from the political right - it would be surprising if it had not done so given its much beleaguered impartiality rule which has become so tattered over these past few years..

I am afraid that whilst people like Sharp remain in place as chairman the BBC is left wide open to the charge of right wing pressure.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 11-Mar-23 06:58:57

The BBC is not having a good week is it?

MaizieD Sat 11-Mar-23 00:20:44

The BBC has also published a statement saying that Fiona Bruce's appalling 'it was only once' statement was just 'setting the context' for the studio audience and the viewers...

And the context was what? That hitting a woman and breaking her nose just the once is absolutely fine?

Really? but REALLY? !!

I find you very hard to believe, BBC. Have you published one lying statement or two?

Zoejory Fri 10-Mar-23 22:12:12

This is totally inaccurate, there is no ‘6th episode’. Wild Isles is – and always was - a 5 part series. We acquired a separate film for iPlayer from the RSPB, WWF and Silverback Films about people working to preserve and restore the biodiversity of the British Isles.
@guardian

BBC press office tweet.

Zoejory Fri 10-Mar-23 22:10:27

The Guardian obviously prints what its readers want to read. Bit like the Mail I suppose. I'm not sure if Bristol Live is reliable but here goes.

I did a spot of googling and found this.

However, after the story was published earlier today (March 10), the BBC issued a statement saying the reports were untrue. It added that the plan for the series - produced by the BBC's Natural History Unit in Bristol - to have five episodes, but with a separate film produced just for the iPlayer.

www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/celebs-tv/bbc-slams-attenborough-wild-isles-8239631

Oreo Fri 10-Mar-23 22:00:45

MaizieD

I don't want to rain on everyone;'s parade but I have seen it pointed out on twitter that the 6th episode wasn't part of the planned series, which was always gong to be in 5 parts. The sixth episode was funded separately by charities and filmed independently. The BBC only ever planned to put it on IPlayer.

I do not know the truth, or otherwise of this. Conflicting screen shots were posted during the twitter exchange.

But why let the truth get in the way of a good ranty story😄

Whitewavemark2 Fri 10-Mar-23 21:13:16

MaizieD

I don't want to rain on everyone;'s parade but I have seen it pointed out on twitter that the 6th episode wasn't part of the planned series, which was always gong to be in 5 parts. The sixth episode was funded separately by charities and filmed independently. The BBC only ever planned to put it on IPlayer.

I do not know the truth, or otherwise of this. Conflicting screen shots were posted during the twitter exchange.

Read the full guardian article, that shows that episode 6 was definitely “ cut”

vegansrock Fri 10-Mar-23 21:07:59

But has it been cut from iplayer? Why shouldn’t we be incensed by this cover up? Nature is being destroyed, waterways ruined and the government want to cover it up?

Galaxy Fri 10-Mar-23 21:05:18

I did wonder if I was being incredibly naive but I just thought it sounded unlikely.

MaizieD Fri 10-Mar-23 21:03:23

sodapop Fri 10-Mar-23 19:06:18

BBC impartial = oxymoron.

Shinamae Fri 10-Mar-23 18:57:00

Already a thread on this subject

Daisymae Fri 10-Mar-23 18:48:17

I think that it's quite obvious who's in charge of the BBC and the message that it's sending, or rather not sending. Where I live I can see farm land being swallowed up by housing developments every month, children who swam in the local river became ill. It has to stop. We have to care.

Ladyleftfieldlover Fri 10-Mar-23 15:42:21

Unbelievable.

Fleurpepper Fri 10-Mar-23 15:40:05

Incandescent is the right word! And they have the cheek to say they want the BBC to be impartial!!!

LadyHonoriaDedlock Fri 10-Mar-23 15:33:05

Sorry, we cross-posted but you were there first I think, Quokka

I too am incandescent. See my own remarks in my own thread.

westendgirl Fri 10-Mar-23 15:23:20

Exactly this, who indeed? Of course the Telegraph seems to be stirring.What are they afraid of ?
It smacks of censorship.

Quokka Fri 10-Mar-23 15:15:25

www.theguardian.com/media/2023/mar/10/david-attenborough-bbc-wild-isles-episode-rightwing-backlash-fears

I’m incandescent. Who the hell do they think they are appeasing?