Gransnet forums

News & politics

Is this country going to the dogs?

(104 Posts)
Dinahmo Sat 11-Mar-23 19:10:21

A report in the Guardian just now about a 68 year old man, walking with his dog had an unknown liquid squirted into his eyes. Both have been treated for burns. The man who squirted jumped into a car and was driven away.

Every time I look at a paper or see the news attacks on people are being reported. The number seems to be increasing. I'm not including murders and rapes in this although they are increasing too.

JaneJudge Sun 12-Mar-23 11:53:19

these sort of attacks happen abroad too.

There was a program about Jaywick some years ago and it was very sad. Lots of people with complex issues being 'dumped' (for want of a better word) altogether in the same place. Many living in sub standard housing that was only meant for summer dwelling.

Casdon Sun 12-Mar-23 11:57:14

Objectively, the rolling back of the state has reduced the standards of public services. The NHS, education, policing, local authority services are all providing worse services to the public than they did 10 years ago. It’s all measurable. Some of the most obvious effects are seen around us every day - avoidable deaths, potholes, littering, public disorder and petty crime, increased poverty, etc.etc. Our international reputation is also shot. There’s no getting away from the measurables.

The biggest problem I see is the amount of time and resources now required to get the country functioning as it should again.

MaizieD Sun 12-Mar-23 11:58:25

GrannyGravy13

MaizieD

Added to the above the grass is always greener on the other side along with things were so much better when we were younger along with any similar tale and you get headers like the OP…

I have to say, as Essex born and bred, I don't recall no-go areas being reported in any of the coastal resorts when I lived there...

Google Jaywick MazieD it is allegedly one of if not the most poorest area in the U.K. drove through it last summer (I was lost as was my SatNav) not an experience I wish to repeat.

The main problem with Southend Sea Front (the middle area with Adventure Island, amusement arcades and The Pier) are the trains full of day trippers often rival inner city gangs who bring their drugs and violence with them added to which easy access to London and onwards it’s ripe for the taking between County Lines Gangs.

The locals tend to use the beaches at either end and avoid the masses, the local paper is an eye opener.

My response to you, GG13 was referring to your assertion along with things were so much better when we were younger along with any similar tale and you get headers like the OP… i.e that we who think the UK is deteriorating in many ways, are looking at the past with rose coloured glasses (I would, actually, dearly love some of them as they seem to make people able to tolerate all sorts of unpleasantness, but that's another story)

To get back. You said, basically, that we were fantasising about things being better when we were young. I respond that, as an Essex native until my early 20s I never saw or heard of no go areas in the coastal resorts. Not even in Jaywick or Southend...

But then, I did have to run the gauntlet of the squaddies on guard wolf whistling and commenting every time I walked past the barracks on the way into town. I think they call it 'harassment now and it only appears to be done by 'immigrants' or brown people

I can't see what relevance your response has.

JaneJudge Sun 12-Mar-23 12:01:53

MaizieD, look at this.

www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/132406589#/?channel=RES_BUY

I wonder how much the landlord is charging rent?

JaneJudge Sun 12-Mar-23 12:02:38

sorry it does actually say how much they are paying blush £624!!

JaneJudge Sun 12-Mar-23 12:05:23

Others

www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/125365649#/?channel=RES_BUY

www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/121119347#/?channel=RES_BUY

Infact there are loads when you look. They were never meant to be lived in permanently

GrannyGravy13 Sun 12-Mar-23 12:10:47

MaizieD

GrannyGravy13

MaizieD

Added to the above the grass is always greener on the other side along with things were so much better when we were younger along with any similar tale and you get headers like the OP…

I have to say, as Essex born and bred, I don't recall no-go areas being reported in any of the coastal resorts when I lived there...

Google Jaywick MazieD it is allegedly one of if not the most poorest area in the U.K. drove through it last summer (I was lost as was my SatNav) not an experience I wish to repeat.

The main problem with Southend Sea Front (the middle area with Adventure Island, amusement arcades and The Pier) are the trains full of day trippers often rival inner city gangs who bring their drugs and violence with them added to which easy access to London and onwards it’s ripe for the taking between County Lines Gangs.

The locals tend to use the beaches at either end and avoid the masses, the local paper is an eye opener.

My response to you, GG13 was referring to your assertion along with things were so much better when we were younger along with any similar tale and you get headers like the OP… i.e that we who think the UK is deteriorating in many ways, are looking at the past with rose coloured glasses (I would, actually, dearly love some of them as they seem to make people able to tolerate all sorts of unpleasantness, but that's another story)

To get back. You said, basically, that we were fantasising about things being better when we were young. I respond that, as an Essex native until my early 20s I never saw or heard of no go areas in the coastal resorts. Not even in Jaywick or Southend...

But then, I did have to run the gauntlet of the squaddies on guard wolf whistling and commenting every time I walked past the barracks on the way into town. I think they call it 'harassment now and it only appears to be done by 'immigrants' or brown people

I can't see what relevance your response has.

Well if you cannot remember I cannot help you. We have had a family home in this village (not big enough to be classed as a town) for 50 years come May.

My first post was quite simplistic, but I will elaborate for you.
Each generation tends to think that things were better in their day when in all probability they were just different, no better, no worse.

Bad news like lies always travel quicker and further than good news and the truth, always has always will. The arrival of the internet has made this more so.

It sure how I can make either my post or view any clearer?

GrannyGravy13 Sun 12-Mar-23 12:12:31

JaneJudge

Others

www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/125365649#/?channel=RES_BUY

www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/121119347#/?channel=RES_BUY

Infact there are loads when you look. They were never meant to be lived in permanently

There was a programme made there some years ago, which was very revealing.

JaneJudge Sun 12-Mar-23 12:13:32

I know, it was really sad and someone even died sad

Germanshepherdsmum Sun 12-Mar-23 12:15:56

My husband was brought up just outside Southend and lived nearby until his late twenties. I visited the town once in the sixties. We went back for a day trip a few years ago. It had changed beyond recognition. Not a safe place nowadays, very different to the place we remembered.

MaizieD Sun 12-Mar-23 12:54:29

Germanshepherdsmum

My husband was brought up just outside Southend and lived nearby until his late twenties. I visited the town once in the sixties. We went back for a day trip a few years ago. It had changed beyond recognition. Not a safe place nowadays, very different to the place we remembered.

Well, according to GG13, it seems that Southend has always been a sink of (immigrant driven?) iniquity and we are just misremembering with rose coloured glasses on.

MaizieD Sun 12-Mar-23 12:57:10

Well if you cannot remember I cannot help you.

I said "I don't remember" in the sense of "It never bloody happened". GG13. Are you being deliberately obtuse?

Germanshepherdsmum Sun 12-Mar-23 13:23:46

I’m sure Southend has always had its fair share of crime, as with any large conurbation and particularly given its proximity to London - but it has changed radically over the last 40+ years.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 12-Mar-23 13:24:58

MaizieD

^Well if you cannot remember I cannot help you.^

I said "I don't remember" in the sense of "It never bloody happened". GG13. Are you being deliberately obtuse?

Well I am not being rude or abrupt.

I have never said that ^Southend has always been a sink of(immigrant driven?) iniquity)

I remember going with my Grandparents as a child and taking my own children there when they were younger.

You are welcome to twist my words to suit you MaizieD , but honestly I would expect more from you.

It is a fact that Eastern European Gangs are running the drugs rings and County Lines, there were numerous stabbings in the height of the summer last year, hence the mobile knife arches now being deployed as and when the police get the nod. There are still lovely beaches and places to go either side of the main drag of Southend Sea Front.

I went to a Grammar school in inner London, I grew up with those whose parents, friends and family knew and mixed with the Krays. My mother had an inner London pub, I can assure you that it was not all a green and pleasant land back in the olden days

MaizieD Sun 12-Mar-23 14:32:45

GrannyGravy13

MaizieD

Well if you cannot remember I cannot help you.

Well I am not being rude or abrupt.

I have never said that ^Southend has always been a sink of(immigrant driven?) iniquity)

I remember going with my Grandparents as a child and taking my own children there when they were younger.

You are welcome to twist my words to suit you MaizieD , but honestly I would expect more from you.

It is a fact that Eastern European Gangs are running the drugs rings and County Lines, there were numerous stabbings in the height of the summer last year, hence the mobile knife arches now being deployed as and when the police get the nod. There are still lovely beaches and places to go either side of the main drag of Southend Sea Front.

I went to a Grammar school in inner London, I grew up with those whose parents, friends and family knew and mixed with the Krays. My mother had an inner London pub, I can assure you that it was not all a green and pleasant land back in the olden days

I am really not sure how to get the meaning of what I was saying across to you. I was not recalling my younger days through a haze of golden memories, I was telling you how it was.

It's a bit insulting for you to insinuate that I was suffering from some sort of memory loss just because I used the phrase, 'I don't remember...' it wasn't an expression of senility; it was saying it wasn't like that 50 years ago...

I am completely baffled by the fact that you keep on reverting to what it is like now in response to my posts. We know that, it's been repeated often enough on the immigration threads. I'm also aware of the desperate state of Jaywick Sands. It's been talked about in The Guardian and I'm on a local Essex facebook page.

Curtaintwitcher Sun 12-Mar-23 14:39:47

These days there is less control by authority and a working police force. This allows people to follow their natural instincts which in many cases, is to be violent. It is a sad reflection on human nature but is sadly true. People need rules, laws and control. When left to their own devices, humans cannot be trusted to behave decently.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 12-Mar-23 14:55:07

MazieD I give up…

As the late Queen Elizabeth II was alleged to have said recollections may vary

HousePlantQueen Sun 12-Mar-23 14:55:18

JaneJudge

MaizieD, look at this.

www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/132406589#/?channel=RES_BUY

I wonder how much the landlord is charging rent?

That's disgraceful! I think we can assume that the landlord is dumping the property as it is highly unlikely to meet new EPC regulations. The rent of £624 is presumably the maximum payable in housing benefit. I dread to think how much the tenants are paying in their efforts to keep that place warm and dry. It is like something out of Call the Midwife.

sandelf Sun 12-Mar-23 15:00:34

Absolutely not. Crime is at an historical low, read about crime during the world wars, or any real history and you will see the evidence. And it is MUCH harder to get away with today - media and forensics. What has changed is we hear about so much more.

Casdon Sun 12-Mar-23 15:33:00

sandelf

Absolutely not. Crime is at an historical low, read about crime during the world wars, or any real history and you will see the evidence. And it is MUCH harder to get away with today - media and forensics. What has changed is we hear about so much more.

Recorded crime is now increasing.
www.gov.uk/government/statistics/crime-outcomes-in-england-and-wales-2021-to-2022/crime-outcomes-in-england-and-wales-2021-to-2022

Germanshepherdsmum Sun 12-Mar-23 16:02:38

It certainly is, I don’t know how anyone could think it’s at an all time low. It’s not easier to get away with either, unless you’re talking about a serious assault or murder - the police don’t even respond to some crimes as they are too busy.

sandelf Sun 12-Mar-23 16:40:47

So how many people do you know who were assaulted, raped, subject to exposure when you were a young person who did not report it - because it was too dangerous to go to Police and speak of such things (if one knew the words to use) and of course one grew up knowing that these things only happened to bad girls who asked for it. So there's one whole area of crime that is now reported when it was not. To be honest even today I would not report such things alone - but I would report. As a youngster I remember men exposing themselves to me in our local town - had no idea it was a crime... with a name. A girl in 6th form with me was raped - pregnant, - expelled from school missed her A levels etc - totally changed the course of her life and she and her parents said not a word.

Germanshepherdsmum Sun 12-Mar-23 16:47:10

I knew of nobody.

Oreo Sun 12-Mar-23 18:35:29

That’s because they never breathed a word of it.

Oreo Sun 12-Mar-23 18:37:03

Things change, many times for the better but sometimes for the worst.A golden age never existed.