Gransnet forums

News & politics

Sharing Our NHS data - I’m not happy

(13 Posts)
Grantanow Thu 06-Apr-23 15:42:25

I think the advantages outweigh the disadvantages. Individuals can opt out. Research in the UK involves private companies as well as universities.

Marydoll Sat 25-Mar-23 10:59:07

I too am grateful that my data was analysed and appropriate measures taken due to my CEV and immunocompromised status, including informing my LA that I was vulnerable and may have required support during the pandemic.

I easily accessed vaccines and promptly received anti viral treatment in hospital during the pandemic.
Without the technology to do this, I would have been in a risky position indeed.

I was also approached about trialling new heart medication, based on my records, which could have improved my quality of life.

The best part of all is that no matter which hospital I visit (and there are a few) my records can be accessed immediately.

Years ago, I attended hospitals in two different health boards and only paper records were available.
Neither establishments knew what the other was doing.

volver3 Sat 25-Mar-23 10:48:27

Fleurpepper

Initially, probably. And then ...?

They're a data analytics company.

Maybe somebody will do something nefarious with the information they've got, but as for me, I'm quite happy that the NHS used state of the art tech to manage the rollout of the vaccine.

Fleurpepper Sat 25-Mar-23 10:40:36

Try and get medical Insurance in the USA if you are a certain age and with pre-existing conditions. Try Bupa/Spire here too!

Fleurpepper Sat 25-Mar-23 10:39:55

Initially, probably. And then ...?

Grannybags Sat 25-Mar-23 10:02:38

Voice of reason again Volver

volver3 Sat 25-Mar-23 09:35:00

Palantir are a software company that provide software for controlling, for example, the roll out of vaccine and planning for the availability of services. Your data will be anonymised and probably aggregated.

Stop panicking. They won't know about your ingrowing toenail.

foxie48 Sat 25-Mar-23 09:23:04

www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/about-the-nhs/opt-out-of-sharing-your-health-records/

If you don't want your records to be shared you, the above link guides you through what you need to do.

Redhead56 Sat 25-Mar-23 08:57:00

It irritates me because I can’t even access my own medical records. We are supposed to be able but every time I ask at the health centre the response is my computer must lack the software!
Sharing our records with outside interests must obviously give them benefits. It does make me wonder what that can be and yes it is irritating we should have the choice to say if we want this info shared.

fancythat Sat 25-Mar-23 08:45:22

Or it is decided someone is going to work out too costly for something or other.

Fleurpepper Sat 25-Mar-23 08:42:46

Until you try to, or as it may happen soon, have to - take private health insurance (or currently, life insurance). Sorry, but I truly believe you have not thought this through GSM.

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 18-Mar-23 18:12:21

I really couldn’t care less if my medical information is shared.

ayse Sat 18-Mar-23 17:47:08

www.opendemocracy.net/en/palantir-peter-thiel-nhs-england-foundry-faster-data-flows/

I’m not happy and rather concerned that our NHS data may be shared with a ‘spy tec’ American company.

I believe our data could be used by UK based research NOT private companies in the USA.

I understand that our data is rather valuable as it holds info about the majority of the UK population over many years. IMO, it should not be given/sold to the highest bidder. If this has to be used I would prefer it to be used for the common good by our research institutions.

It makes me spit! They are unprincipled thieves!