Gransnet forums

News & politics

Emergency Alert!

(93 Posts)
62Granny Sun 19-Mar-23 18:12:11

Apparently on the 23rd of April I the early evening every mobile phone will receive an Emergency Alert notification and sound . Even if your phone is on silent it will still come through and you won't be able to use the phone until you acknowledge receipt of it, the Government is gaining access our phones whether we want it or not apparently they will use it to notify you of flooding or huge fires in your area but what next, are we entering an era of Government propaganda being put out via our phones? I am not happy about this but short of getting rid of my mobile I don't see a way out.

winterwhite Wed 29-Mar-23 21:58:12

Not unhappy with the idea tho see that it could be over done.

But no one says how we acknowledge it? Just press OK? Is there a time specified that I’ve missed? I hate sudden blasts making me jump out of my skin.

Grantanow Wed 29-Mar-23 17:43:33

I hope Braverman doesn't start using it to tell us how many immigrants are 'invading' the UK.

cornergran Sat 25-Mar-23 03:38:39

We already have Environment Agency flood warnings to our landline and my mobile. Living next to a river in a coastal town we’re very pleased to get them. The proposed new system feels like a useful extension, not something sinister.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 22-Mar-23 16:31:00

I have just posted on the other similar thread.

it is not the Government sending you the Alert it is your service provider

If it’s successful it could be used in future by the Environment Agency for floods, Fire Service for fires and I guess the Police if there has been a terrorist attack in your area, all through your service provider.

Jaxjacky Wed 22-Mar-23 16:30:41

Sorry, wrong thread, I’ve requested removal.

Jaxjacky Wed 22-Mar-23 16:29:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AreWeThereYet Wed 22-Mar-23 16:19:52

This technology has been available (and discussed) for quite a while. It was originally planned to be launched last year, and I think I read about trials being held in Reading and (I think) Suffolk. It's old technology already used in other European countries and in the US.

People who have working smartphones on them will get warnings of possible emergencies like flooding, fires, landslides in the area they are in I believe. Possibly even major train/motor accidents that leave routes cut off and areas that need to be avoided.

I don't understand all the conspiracy theories.

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 22-Mar-23 15:56:31

Armageddon!

Callistemon21 Wed 22-Mar-23 15:34:47

Germanshepherdsmum

Where did you find about this? It seems very unlikely.

DH told me about this and I didn't believe him but apparently it is true.

www.gov.uk/government/news/launch-of-life-saving-public-emergency-alerts

So what happens if it's in the depths of a handbag with a flat battery?

effalump Wed 22-Mar-23 15:31:21

With all the talk of WWIII, I think the EBS for floods, extreme weather, etc. is just a cover. In case no-one's noticed, the world banking systems are on the edge of collapse and it may be that a total lockdown to avoid civil unrest might be required for a few days. As far as WWIII. I really cannot see anything like that happening. What would be the point, there would be no winners. You know how much our governments like to scare the hell out of us. Or at least certain MPs.

Dee1012 Tue 21-Mar-23 11:21:30

I work with victims of domestic abuse and if anyone has a phone hidden from an abusive partner, it's important that emergency alerts are switched off.
These people could be risking a real safety net for them as it can be an important part of safety planning.
I've yet to see any information from DA groups about this!

FannyCornforth Tue 21-Mar-23 10:47:08

You’d be surprised nanna8
Lots of clowns use those disposable bbq things in the middle of heatwaves

nanna8 Tue 21-Mar-23 07:16:16

The fire alerts are really good and can save lives. They tell you when to be alert and when you should leave. I don’t think you get many bushfires in the UK,though.

Anniel Tue 21-Mar-23 03:01:03

I think some grans jump in with their conspiracy theories without reading that you can switch the damned thing off if you want, so if you can tackle any old disaster that comes along then fee free literally. And if you do not have a mobile no worries! I only found out last week that I had not put my health information and contacts on my mobile. I put them on even though the police or authorities here would think to look but if I was still in London those details could help in an emergency.

rubysong Mon 20-Mar-23 23:04:02

They're a bit vague with their 'early evening'. I am in an afternoon concert that day. It could be chaos!

Silvergirl Mon 20-Mar-23 20:28:20

This is a good thing as we sometimes get a poor signal in my area. We grudgingly let BT upgrade us to a “wonderful” digital phone which turned out to be much less reliable than the old landline. Had to pay for the privilege too. Very annoyed afterwards in case we need to call an ambulance at some point.

Linbap Mon 20-Mar-23 20:26:19

I'm in the US. The settings on my phone allow me to choose what warnings I get.
I've had that feature for several years. So far, I've only gotten tornado alerts (very helpful) and Amber alerts for children in danger. The latter ones have led to the safe recovery of quite a few kidd and I'm glad they have them.
I think if the government wanted to send us propaganda, they would find a way. And as far as spam goes, there are such strict rules about when these warnings can be used, unnecessary messages just don't happen.

Marydoll Mon 20-Mar-23 20:12:54

GrannyGravy13

So am I MaryDoll

GG, I do love a good conspiracy theory! wink

If it saves lives, it can only be a good thing.
Regradless of whether you read/accept the alerts, anyone with the know how and/or authority, can access your personal info on your devices, without your permission.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 20-Mar-23 20:05:12

So am I MaryDoll

Marydoll Mon 20-Mar-23 19:57:34

For those sceptics and doubters, this is an extract from the Govt. website.

By broadcasting from cell towers in the vicinity of an emergency, the alerts are secure, free to receive, and one-way. They do not reveal anyone’s location or collect personal data.   Alerts can only be sent by authorised Governmental and Emergency Services users. Successful live tests of the service have already taken place in East Suffolk and Reading.

I'm quite surprised at those who think it is not a good thing.

Gundy Mon 20-Mar-23 19:43:09

Cherrytree59 True dat… mobiles in the US do all go off at the same time when there is a real emergency. You especially notice it in the grocery store.

Real emergency: a severe tornado warning; car collision(s) where roads have been closed for emergency vehicles; active shooter in the neighborhood; amber alerts for kidnapped children (pictures/info/license plate #) to be on the lookout for… and such.

I am happy to be notified. For those who aren’t happy thinking the govt is too intrusive… you need to realize that they already have your info whether you like it or not. These govt agencies alert the neighborhoods where the problems are - keeping you safe.
Cheers!
USA Gundy

JudyBloom Mon 20-Mar-23 18:54:18

Another tyrannical move, setting up for more control when they decide there will be another 'pandemic'. It's getting all too much.

PerkyPiggy Mon 20-Mar-23 18:28:20

I think it's a good idea. It would have been helpful when Storm Arwen was on its way.

Arto1s Mon 20-Mar-23 18:16:26

We already have this in the USA, but can decide whether or not to switch on to the notification system. I did, by choice, and think it is a useful tool to have.

Candelle Mon 20-Mar-23 17:01:23

I missed this announcement yesterday and am grateful for the OP bringing the subject up here or I would probably jump out of my skin on the 23rd. I will let my friends and family know in case they are unaware, too.

Overall I think this is an excellent idea if indeed it has saved lives where the system is in use.

Yes, the timing could be misconstrued (Russia... China etc) but as I can see no possible way I can stop any nasty coming my way I will continue to shut those thoughts out!