Gransnet forums

News & politics

Ugandan MPs pass bill imposing death penalty for homosexuality

(57 Posts)
Blossoming Wed 22-Mar-23 11:21:37

This is a horrible regressive step. I hope the president vetoes it, but his views are known to be anti homosexuality.

www.theguardian.com/world/2023/mar/21/ugandan-mps-pass-bill-imposing-death-penalty-homosexuality

Iam64 Sun 26-Mar-23 20:02:49

Who said you can’t express an opimion

Blossoming Sun 26-Mar-23 19:41:58

^isnt it a bit colonialist to be expressing outrage at a democratic country over the decisions it makes?

Well said^

Oh sorry, did I dare to express an opinion?

NanaDana Sun 26-Mar-23 19:17:47

Primitive, barbaric legislation, based on outdated so-called moral judgements that have no place in civilised society. It's somewhat irrelevant to suggest that the roots of this initiative originate in Colonial value systems. That may be so, but most of society has rightly moved on since then. Uganda became independent in 1962. Surely 63 years is more than enough time to develop a more enlightened outlook? If the U.N. is truly serious about championing human rights, sanctions should be applied to any country which chooses to introduce such appalling victimisation.

Shelflife Sun 26-Mar-23 19:09:38

Thankyou Summerfly, you are correct. Precious children indeed!

Summerfly Sun 26-Mar-23 19:05:16

Shelflife. Our children are so precious. It doesn’t matter what hand they’ve been dealt, they’re ours and we love them. 💐

Summerfly Sun 26-Mar-23 19:03:10

Whoops! Didn’t mean to send that again 😁

Iam64 Sun 26-Mar-23 19:02:46

I’m equally horrified by the states in America who ban abortion, prosecute women - is that a but colonial as well?

Summerfly Sun 26-Mar-23 19:01:52

Thanks Namsnanny 💐

Shelflife Sun 26-Mar-23 18:31:07

Summerfly, I know how you feel. I also know how our wonderful son felt as he came to tell me he was gay. He had struggled for so long and I felt as his Mum I should have known - I didn't! He has a lovely partner and we rejoice in their happiness. Obviously the persecution of gay people breaks my heart.

Summerfly Sun 26-Mar-23 18:13:56

Thanks Namsnanny. 💐

Namsnanny Sun 26-Mar-23 14:29:44

I'm so glad for your family summerfly
We should all thank our lucky stars we live in the west.

Summerfly Sun 26-Mar-23 14:24:06

As the mother of a wonderful, decent and caring daughter who is a lesbian, I struggle when I hear of such horrific acts being done to gay people. My daughter struggled for many years with her sexuality, called herself a freak and tried hard to be “normal”. She isn’t a freak at all. It’s just who she is. She has a lovely partner and I as her mum am just so proud of her and all that she has achieved, and that she’s found happiness at last.

Namsnanny Sun 26-Mar-23 13:48:41

DaisyL

It is awful but we have to remember that it is only very recently that it was illegal in this country and many people went to prison for homosexuality. We have changed out minds but we cannot expect the rest of the world to jump just because we say so!

Baggs...
isnt it a bit colonialist to be expressing outrage at a democratic country over the decisions it makes?

Well said.

Judib Sun 26-Mar-23 09:54:44

Probably nothing. does the west need them for anything?

Milliedog Sat 25-Mar-23 15:40:17

@Iam64 Christians are those who love and follow Jesus. What He said about the 'eye for an eye' old testament passage is found in Matthew 5 verse 38 - 48
'You have heard that it was said, ‘Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.’ But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also. And if anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, hand over your coat as well. If anyone forces you to go one mile, go with them two miles. Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you.'

undines Sat 25-Mar-23 15:37:37

Gross human rights abuses and cruelty are the business of everyone all over the world
Outrage is click bait but it is still outrage Baggs I’m not sure homosexuality IS an ‘aberration’. It happens in the animal kingdom and may be Natures way of population control

grandtanteJE65 Sat 25-Mar-23 13:28:36

MaizieD

I was horror struck to see this in my paper this morning. It's barbaric.

What will the International community do, I wonder?

Nothing, politically or diplomatically, as no country has the right to interfere in another's internal affairs.

What we can do as individuals is to refuse to buy anything made in Uganda and exported to our countries.

Remember when we stopped buy South African products during Apartheid?

It is to be hoped that our various governments will provide asylum to Ugandan homosexuals who wish to move to more tolerant places, but I shan't hold my breath waiting for that to happen, as I deem it sadly unlikely in the present climate vis-á-vis immigrants!

Iam64 Sat 25-Mar-23 13:01:24

FGM is illegal in Uganda. Its Christian leaders used the bible to outlaw the practice. Some tribes still practice fgm and happens in the UK despite it being illegal and alien to its culture

Iam64 Sat 25-Mar-23 12:57:34

I hope the majority of Christians don’t follow every word milliedog. We’d be back to an eye for an eye and worsening

Oreo Sat 25-Mar-23 12:53:34

It is appalling, just as many things are in various countries.
Beaten to death in Iran and Afghanistan for all sorts of non reasons. Because they feel like it, for not toeing the party line,
Being dressed in the wrong clothes, being gay, wearing lipstick.

Oreo Sat 25-Mar-23 12:50:19

DaisyL

It is awful but we have to remember that it is only very recently that it was illegal in this country and many people went to prison for homosexuality. We have changed out minds but we cannot expect the rest of the world to jump just because we say so!

All leaders of countries should have that message on their desks DaisyL 👏🏻👏🏻

Cossy Sat 25-Mar-23 12:33:27

Just barbaric, inhuman and appalling !

Dillonsgranma Sat 25-Mar-23 12:26:52

Oh dear. But then again they still believe in mutilation of little girls. FGM
And it’s easy to forget that it homosexuality was against the law in this country until very recently really. Noel coward was imprisoned

Dressagediva123 Sat 25-Mar-23 12:01:50

I agree - the world seems to be reversing into the Middle Ages. Poor souls who have to hide there love for each other

DaisyL Sat 25-Mar-23 12:00:53