Gransnet forums

News & politics

Boris Johnson

(282 Posts)
travelsafar Wed 22-Mar-23 15:41:29

Am watching the questioning of BJ at the moment, it is making me cringe. Any one else feel the same???

MayBee70 Wed 22-Mar-23 18:08:10

As has been pointed out by someone on Facebook it was ok for Downing Street to organise a leaving do attended by lots of people for someone at a time when only 6 people could attend the funeral of a loved one.

grannyactivist Wed 22-Mar-23 18:09:53

Harriet Harman’s question towards the end got to the heart of the matter.

“If I was going at 100 miles an hour and I saw the speedometer saying 100 miles per hour, it would be a bit odd, wouldn’t it, if I said somebody assured me that I was not?”

Mr. Johnson’s insistence that the gatherings that occurred to ‘say goodbye’ to work colleagues, furnished with drinks and nibbles, were necessary work events must be galling to the relatives of people who didn’t attend funerals of loved ones.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 22-Mar-23 18:20:19

👀 this is heartening

Nick Robinson

@bbcnickrobinson
·
45m
No-one watching the quizzing of
@BorisJohnson
can be in any doubt that the committee will now conclude that he recklessly misled MPs by repeating & relying on assurances that rules and guidance had not been broken inside Downing Street

Fleurpepper Wed 22-Mar-23 18:22:27

NO parties were essential for work- anywhere. No leaving dos either- nowhere. Not even 'leaving dos' for loved ones- aka funerals. The picture of the late Queen sitting on her own will resonate with so many of us forever.

Harris27 Wed 22-Mar-23 18:29:04

He’s so slick and very good at getting people on his side. He’s been sacked from most jobs mmm I wonder why? People thought he was charismatic but I just think he lies very well. Ask his previous wife…it was probably all her fault.

25Avalon Wed 22-Mar-23 18:33:50

What happens next?

ParlorGames Wed 22-Mar-23 18:37:45

Give the man a shovel......he can dig a bigger hole.

Iam64 Wed 22-Mar-23 18:42:19

He’s a very skilled liar, who lacks empathy and is an ace manipulator. He’s charming until he’s rattled, then the irritation shows.

I hope the image of Her Majesty, sitting alone at Prince Phillips funeral remains in the minds of people who feel sympathy to his endless repetitive statements about the need to encourage/support staff working hard. Come on Johnson, we remember nhs, social care etc working flat out,no drinks occasions to encourage them.

Urmstongran Wed 22-Mar-23 18:53:22

Well (maybe unsurprisingly) I felt for Boris.
The knives are out.
At least he has Lord Pannick batting for him.
I truly believe he looked upon No.10 as a very busy work ‘bubble’. Almost a family - they worked such long hours and were (work related) close to each other.
Even media photos were taken on a Friday evening ... nothing hidden because ‘rules were followed’.
I think Boris bashers are hoping to hinge something on him personally.
He is a libertarian in the good sense of the word.
I believe he did nothing wrong (or at least was advised by the Civil Servants ‘all is fine’).
Yes, he’s lazy.
But he trusted his advisers. That’s what they are they for, surely? Or why have them?

Fleurpepper Wed 22-Mar-23 18:58:37

What is it about a 'leaving do' being a social event/Party and NOT an essential work event?

Where were 'leaving parties' allowed. Your comment applies equally (much much more so actually) about hard working work bubbles, care homes, hospitals.

The good sense of the word!?! Unbelievable.

Wyllow3 Wed 22-Mar-23 19:00:39

I think blaming his advisors is a very low tactic frankly.

He made the rules. Any decent leader would stand up, admit mistake, and apologies, not attempt to hide being others.

That's the way to gain respect.
That's what differentiates humility and dignity from attempting to "slide out" of something.

Urms, can you not see the implications of "almost a family?"
When actual families could not meet for a funeral?

What kind of a defence is that?

Wyllow3 Wed 22-Mar-23 19:01:20

hide behind others

Casdon Wed 22-Mar-23 19:02:12

"If anyone thinks I was partying during lockdown, they're completely wrong."

Ladyleftfieldlover Wed 22-Mar-23 19:04:52

I think nurses and doctors worked rather longer hours and were in constant danger of infection. I don’t think Boris’s little parties were acceptable at all. He thought he should say goodbye to colleagues who were leaving but remember HM Queen. She was totally isolated at her husband’s funeral. It was the same for others who had to have socially distanced funerals for their loved. Death beds consisted of an iPad or iPhone. No, B Johnson has lied. He had no excuse for what he did. At those daily press conferences he was announcing the latest rules. Surely he must have listened to what he was saying to the country.

grumppa Wed 22-Mar-23 19:09:03

I don't think Johnson 'intentionally' deceived or misled the House. He couldn't have cared less whether he deceived MPs or not.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 22-Mar-23 19:14:38

ug there are standards that we are entitled to expect from the country’s leaders. Libertarian or not standards matter, and no one is above the law.

Johnson had the best possible support paid for by us don’t forget, so his performance will have been rehearsed over and over. All his statements were written by his lawyers.

M0nica Wed 22-Mar-23 19:18:19

Couldn't bring myself to watch it, but reviewing the evidence presented I feel they should be able to get him on 'reckless' if not 'deliberate'

Interesting article in one of the papers today, doing a wander round his constituency described his support as deep, but narrow, those who liked him thought him without fault, but there were not that many of them.

Iam64 Wed 22-Mar-23 19:18:53

I’m with grumppa, Johnson doesn’t give a flying fig

Siope Wed 22-Mar-23 19:24:17

(or at least was advised by the Civil Servants ‘all is fine’)

With respect: were you even listening? He was NOT advised by civil servants. He was given suggestions by two of his own political appointees, both of whom were communications advisers, about how to manage the media interest in the parties. He then used that proposed messaging in Parliament as if it was fact.

Fleurpepper Wed 22-Mar-23 19:25:15

Our late Queen, sitting on her own, without her ACs, at her husband's funeral...

and 1000s of others.

GrannySomerset Wed 22-Mar-23 19:26:16

I don’t think BJ is even aware that he is lying - just says the first thing that comes into his head to get him off the current hook. Certainly reckless and without any thought for others. Look at how he is trying to blame others even when there is evidence that he chose to ignore advice. Sorry, Urms, I think perhaps the sun has got to you today.

winterwhite Wed 22-Mar-23 21:17:09

I think they will come up with some other adverb such as carelessly or thoughtlessly. Came across clearly that he never gave it a moment’s thought. Only saw a few bits but thought he was feeble and bumbling. Just shows that the most expensive lawyer in the country can do nothing with a non-existent case.

But I do think these comparisons with the queen are beside the point. As though objections would have been made if she’d had someone with her. I’ve think she just wanted to be alone, and understandable.

Lovetopaint037 Wed 22-Mar-23 21:35:26

If he had come clean in Parliament and admitted that rules had been broken but the pressure was huge in no 10 etc etc etc Things would never have come to this and (horror of horrors he may have still been PM). Looking at the tv it seems that some of his constituents believe this is about no 10 having a few parties. They seemed to have missed the point that it is about Johnson lying to Parliament.

Rosie51 Wed 22-Mar-23 21:36:33

Comparisons with the Queen are not beside the point. It was suggested that Boris offered her dispensation to break the rules, but she said she would abide by the rules just like everybody else, and she did. We now know that number 10 wasn't keeping the rules, including the night before the Duke of Edinburgh's funeral.

Wyllow3 Wed 22-Mar-23 21:46:54

That was shocking.