Gransnet forums

News & politics

Boris Johnson

(282 Posts)
travelsafar Wed 22-Mar-23 15:41:29

Am watching the questioning of BJ at the moment, it is making me cringe. Any one else feel the same???

Iam64 Sat 25-Mar-23 20:08:39

I believe you are aware the difference between referring to age and being rude and provocative

volver3 Sat 25-Mar-23 19:22:16

Hang on pal, I'll get you a shovel....

Oreo Sat 25-Mar-23 19:19:10

It’s not rude to refer to old age on this site surely? It’s a site really for seniors after all and I’ve noticed many having golden wedding anniversaries and so on.
Many retired people don’t have an active life, it all depends on health really and if not working didn’t see or hear what went on during lockdown.Some are so hostile to the point I was making about rule breaking and thought it had to be a tiny minority cos they ‘didn’t see any’.
Am so bored with this subject now but really can’t understand all the fuss around it.
Boris deserves all he gets btw.

MaizieD Sat 25-Mar-23 19:14:05

It wasn't the fact that there were rule breakers. I have no doubt at all that there were. It was the implication that there was a huge number of rule breakers.

If there had been 1million rule breakers it would have been about 1% of the UK population. Sounds like a lot, numerically, but not a very significant percentage.

Iam64 Sat 25-Mar-23 19:06:25

Oreo

Late 70’s?
I should think that’s reasonable from what I’ve read on here that quite a lot are.
Nothing wrong with that.It does mean though, that being retired and worried about Covid they didn’t know quite as much that went on during the lockdowns.

Oreo. I was 71 in first lockdown. Till the previous year I’d been working part time. I also volunteer for a charity which means being in contact with a range of people.
More to the point, I’ve adult children who tend to the party animal socially. In lockdown they didn’t party. Two were key workers, long hours, huge stress. Another desperately trying to keep a new business afloat while home educating and scarcely any money coming in.
I live in a mixed area. We had not parties. We met people socially distanced enjoying the exercise ‘allowed’. Many finding our countryside for the first time.

I’m stunned that you think it’s ok to be rude to posters simply becsuse they disagree with you. Being as old as your mother in no way invalidates anything posters say.

DaisyAnne Sat 25-Mar-23 18:51:16

MaizieD

DaisyAnne

MaizieD

^ Even Johnson cannot do this. His political career is finished.^

Well, I don't know about that, DaisyAnne. I was interested (horrified) to see this this morning

www.politics.co.uk/week-in-review/2023/03/24/week-in-review-a-cornered-boris-is-a-dangerous-boris/

Do you know who Josh Self is Maizie?

No idea, DaisyAnne. Nor do I know the particular bias (if it has one) of Politics.co. Possibly it's leftish as I get email notifications from them.

I just thought it was an interesting view after most commentators I read have written him off. I posted it to see if anyone thought it might be a possibility

It's not one that I would like to see enacted, but Johnson isn't known as the 'greased piglet' for nothing...

I think it's wise not to take things for granted. I don't think Johnson is the problem though but Sunak may be. I found the first bit of this interesting:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rA51bRzcx4

It is Marr's view of the questioning and possible view the committee will take.

Oreo Sat 25-Mar-23 18:32:21

Do I need to speak to the mods about this weirdness Fleurpepper
Is this the talked about cliques on this site?
So you and a few others didn’t like me saying anything about all the rule breakers in the country, even tho it sure as hell existed.

MaizieD Sat 25-Mar-23 18:29:34

DaisyAnne

MaizieD

Well, I don't know about that, DaisyAnne. I was interested (horrified) to see this this morning

www.politics.co.uk/week-in-review/2023/03/24/week-in-review-a-cornered-boris-is-a-dangerous-boris/

No idea, DaisyAnne. Nor do I know the particular bias (if it has one) of Politics.co. Possibly it's leftish as I get email notifications from them.

I just thought it was an interesting view after most commentators I read have written him off. I posted it to see if anyone thought it might be a possibility

It's not one that I would like to see enacted, but Johnson isn't known as the 'greased piglet' for nothing...

Fleurpepper Sat 25-Mar-23 18:04:44

Oh come on! Bells on.

Oreo Sat 25-Mar-23 17:59:36

Welcome back from where?
Why would I or you ignore posts?

DaisyAnne Sat 25-Mar-23 17:57:51

Welcome back, by the way. I think I will go back to ignoring your posts again though.

Oreo Sat 25-Mar-23 17:56:17

DaisyAnne
Your replies to me seem ill thought out too.
Mexican stand off then.

Oreo Sat 25-Mar-23 17:53:54

Fleurpepper

Your name is relatively new, but you do sound so so familiar.

Pound shop Farages are indeed not funny at all, and thank goodness, seem to have totally lost the support of those who were conned to support them. Johnson, the ERG, Vote Leave, Brexit are very clearly linked. Even if you refuse to see it (although I am sure you are very aware of it).

FFS what’s that supposed to mean? Some kind of weirdo threat? What are you on?

DaisyAnne Sat 25-Mar-23 17:53:03

Oreo

Am damn sure he lied.
I didn’t vote for Brexit but am bored with reading constant references to it from those who use it as a stick to beat others with.
This is one thread that didn’t reference it, til now.

Why do you see passing on the outcome of a recent poll as using a stick to beat others with? It's not an opinion, it's information. What each person wants to make of it is up to them.

Your replies seem ill thought out Oreo. You will find I tend to reciprocate in the tone used towards me as it is obviously the one the poster feels comfortable with.

DaisyAnne Sat 25-Mar-23 17:43:46

MaizieD

Fleurpepper Sat 25-Mar-23 17:42:59

volver3

Fleurpepper

OH FFS! Just because we are in our 70s doesn't mean we live an isolate life and are not fully aware of wht goes on around us. My ACs are late 40s and early 50s- and we talked about what was happening around them right through the pandemic.

Most of my good friends are much younger than me too.

I'm 61. I was 58 when COVID came, and still working full time.

Am I to consider myself young? 🤣🤪

Very, yes- lucky you. Age is but a number, hey smile

Fleurpepper Sat 25-Mar-23 17:42:19

Your name is relatively new, but you do sound so so familiar.

Pound shop Farages are indeed not funny at all, and thank goodness, seem to have totally lost the support of those who were conned to support them. Johnson, the ERG, Vote Leave, Brexit are very clearly linked. Even if you refuse to see it (although I am sure you are very aware of it).

Oreo Sat 25-Mar-23 17:40:51

Y’know it doesn’t matter if anyone who supports Boris think he didn’t lie.
Up to the investigation after all.

Oreo Sat 25-Mar-23 17:38:45

Am damn sure he lied.
I didn’t vote for Brexit but am bored with reading constant references to it from those who use it as a stick to beat others with.
This is one thread that didn’t reference it, til now.

Oreo Sat 25-Mar-23 17:34:52

😃😃😃😃😃

DaisyAnne Sat 25-Mar-23 17:31:44

Oreo

Back to Brexit already?😄 That’s irrelevant to this thread too.

To make it as clear, as you seem to need clarification, this thread is titled "Boris Johnson". The OP asks how we feel about watching him try to prove he didn't lie to Parliament.

My post explained how NO section of the population shows a majority think he didn't lie, except those who voted for Brexit.

Your reply isn't funny, no matter how many smiley faces you put on it. It is simply inaccurate.

Fleurpepper Sat 25-Mar-23 17:02:40

Linked to the ERG, the far right of the Party, and as the previous head of the ERG said so well 'Pound shop Farages' - coming from him, it was quite amazing to hear. He should know, and knew the likes of Widdecombe, Francois and Bridgen.

MaizieD Sat 25-Mar-23 17:01:25

Fleurpepper Sat 25-Mar-23 17:00:48

It is what it is. Evidence indicates quite clearly that those few who still support him, are the same and none other, that still support Brexit.

All those things are linked, whether you like it, or are prepared to face it, or not.

Oreo Sat 25-Mar-23 16:49:41

Back to Brexit already?😄 That’s irrelevant to this thread too.