Gransnet forums

News & politics

Boy handcuffed in Superdrug targeted because of his race, mother says

(55 Posts)
GagaJo Thu 23-Mar-23 20:35:14

Yet another Black man (teenager this time) violently handled in public. This time not by the police, but by private security who the police are backing.

'Former Downing Street aide Kirsty Buchanan has called for a national review of the use of private security staff, saying her child had been targeted because of his race, and that the behaviour of the security guards was dangerous.

Speaking to the Guardian, Buchanan said her son was not shoplifting in the Superdrug and was confronted by “aggressive” security staff, known as rangers. “They grabbed his arm, threw him on the floor, sat on him and tied his hands with plastic handcuffs,” she said.'

www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/mar/23/boy-handcuffed-civilian-security-staff-shop-chichester-superdrug

JaneJudge Sun 26-Mar-23 16:12:05

This may surprise some of you but The boy's mother Kirsty Buchanan was once political editor at the Sunday Express and is a former adviser to Theresa May and Liz Truss. She has now called for a probe into the use of private security guards

MerylStreep Sun 26-Mar-23 16:13:36

kircubbin2000

As usual no mention of a father here.

Most of the pond life that murdered Steven Laurence had a father that came from the same pond 😡

Doodledog Sun 26-Mar-23 16:19:13

JaneJudge

This may surprise some of you but ^The boy's mother Kirsty Buchanan was once political editor at the Sunday Express and is a former adviser to Theresa May and Liz Truss. She has now called for a probe into the use of private security guards^

Good. I would do the same if I, or one of my children (or their father, come to that) had been treated like that. I would want the guards charged with assault.

eazybee Sun 26-Mar-23 16:54:26

I would be mortified if my child had been arrested on suspicion of assault and I would wait until I had heard all the evidence from both sides before I made accusations of racism.

As it was, he did two stupid things as a teenager which brought him to the attention of the police, both times his fault; he was severely told off with my support, and punished. Both times the Police said, privately, don't be too hard on him, he's learned his lesson, which he had.

HousePlantQueen Sun 26-Mar-23 19:05:29

kircubbin2000

and?

HousePlantQueen Sun 26-Mar-23 19:09:06

JaneJudge

This may surprise some of you but ^The boy's mother Kirsty Buchanan was once political editor at the Sunday Express and is a former adviser to Theresa May and Liz Truss. She has now called for a probe into the use of private security guards^

Interesting Jane, now how does the work with those of you who think this is all a storm in a leftist Guardian teacup? Like to have a rethink about your frankly racist comments?

Allsorts Sun 26-Mar-23 19:11:57

I’m fed up with people throwing racism at everything. If they are doing wrong, they need apprehending, you’re not talking about little children, where I live students descent like locusts and shop lift, even take the beauty samplers and testers. Parents stick up for their children regardless of the facts.

GagaJo Sun 26-Mar-23 19:29:24

How do you feel about Black men dying in police custody Allsorts? Or how would you feel about about your grandson being pinned to the ground and handcuffed by someone with no legal authority to do so?

The boy hadn't left the shop. Even if he had intent to do so, it isn't shop lifting until they have left the premises. Therefore, according to the law, he wasn't stealing.

Doodledog Sun 26-Mar-23 19:46:18

I think that according to the law he was assaulted. I hate the idea of thugs being licensed to attack members of the public (or fine them, for that matter). It is the thin end of a worrying wedge.

There is absolutely no justification for people of one colour being over-represented in stats on arrest, assault or anything else at the hands of actual authorities, never mind at the hands of privately hired security guards.

Also - it is the role of parents to advocate for their children. If he were mine, I would stick up for him as best I could, even if I had a go at him when we got home. It’s what parents do. If we don’t think the best of our children who will?

HousePlantQueen Sun 26-Mar-23 20:00:29

Even if we remove the potential race issue here, the fact is that a young man was wrestled to the ground, in a shop, by non Police personnel. I am very uncomfortable about that.

Doodledog Sun 26-Mar-23 20:13:52

Yes, that’s what I was getting at. It’s worse if there is also a racial element, but it’s bad regardless.

Madgran77 Sun 26-Mar-23 20:22:44

kircubbin2000

And your point is?

NanaDana Sun 26-Mar-23 20:24:58

I'd like to see ALL available video , including the store's, before expressing an opinion on this. Not sure that a 15 second video can tell the whole story. Witness statements are also needed. Not enough to go on at the moment.

Galaxy Sun 26-Mar-23 20:31:26

It's not a young man either, hes a child.

Madgran77 Sun 26-Mar-23 20:31:55

The article in The Times detailed that the boy and his friend entered a shop to buy shampoo. The boy was aware that 2 security guards were immediately following them as they moved through the shop and stood watching as they looked at shampoos. He made a flippant remark about being followed and watched (which embarrassed "clever" 15 year olds will do, wont they) . The 2 security guards jumped on him as a result of this, pinned him to the floor and used plastic wrist ties to tie his wrists behind his back. His friend tried to pull the security guards off him. Police were called and they were both arrested. Police have suggested that a shop keeper was assaulted, which is strongly denied. Police refused to speak to the 15 year olds mother, she could not establish where he was for some considerable length of time. He was kept in a cell for several hours and eventually interviewed with a responsible adult.
I cant post the link because The Times is subscription

GagaJo Sun 26-Mar-23 20:45:32

It's a frequent thing, being followed while Black in shops.

HousePlantQueen Sun 26-Mar-23 20:47:22

Galaxy

It's not a young man either, hes a child.

Agreed, my mistake

JaneJudge Sun 26-Mar-23 20:50:05

My youngest CHILD is 15 🧒 not a young man, he’s a child. He goes to school and I was his clothes and his Dad makes his lunch
He’d be traumatised if wrestled to the floor by a strong man and handcuffed whilst out shopping

JaneJudge Sun 26-Mar-23 20:50:50

I wash his clothes 🙈

Doodledog Sun 26-Mar-23 20:57:03

IMO, assuming we have the full story (by which I mean that the boy was not armed and did not pose a credible threat to the security guard) the guard should be charged with assault. The court should decide whether the reason for the assault was racially motivated and if so there should be an additional sentence for that.

Hog tying someone after wrestling them to the floor is a huge over-reaction to a suspected theft of shampoo. The fact that the boy was 15 makes it worse, and holding him without notifying his mother worse again.

Madgran77 Sun 26-Mar-23 21:25:07

Hog tying someone after wrestling them to the floor is a huge over-reaction to a suspected theft of shampoo. The fact that the boy was 15 makes it worse, and holding him without notifying his mother worse again

I agree Doodledog.

Oreo Sun 26-Mar-23 21:55:19

I agree too.
I think sitting on a suspect is a real dangerous thing to do as well.

Galaxy Sun 26-Mar-23 22:06:57

I wasnt having a go Houseplantqueen smile, just important to remember that its a child being restrained by adults.

HousePlantQueen Mon 27-Mar-23 10:36:20

Galaxy

I wasnt having a go Houseplantqueen smile, just important to remember that its a child being restrained by adults.

I agree Galaxy, can you imagine the furore if it had been an elderly man dithering around expensive razor blades (which are the most shoplifted item in shops such as Superdrug, I believe)

Jennylee Wed 12-Jul-23 05:48:11

kircubbin2000

Horrible comment. Speaks volumes about the poster.