Gransnet forums

News & politics

The Five Demands

(83 Posts)
choughdancer Sat 25-Mar-23 12:10:46

I definitely support all these demands; if they were carried out I believe that our country and our world would be fairer, safer places.

A REAL PAYRISE FOR ALL

After years of real-term wage cuts, workers up and down the country are choosing between feeding their children or heating their homes, from nurses and teachers to rail workers and posties, these past few months have seen record levels of industrial action in the UK.

Everyone has a right to live and work with dignity. That means giving nurses, teachers and public sector workers an above-inflation pay rise, implementing a minimum wage of £15 per hour, banning zero-hours contracts and reversing cruel benefit sanctions.

DEMOCRATIC PUBLIC OWNERSHIP

As millions struggle to pay their energy bills, fossil fuel giants are taking home record profits. Private profiteering is plunging people into poverty and destroying our planet. Alongside water, rail and mail, it’s time we put energy back where it belongs: in public hands.

Democratic public ownership will empower communities, bring prices down and kickstart a Green New Deal that invests in sustainable energy.

HOUSING FOR THE MANY

On average, British renters spend 30% of their income on rent. Over one million households are waiting for council and social homes, whilst quarter of a million people are homeless. Housing is a human right, not a commodity – everyone deserves a decent, safe, warm and affordable place to live.

We need an immediate rent freeze and reduction, an end to no-fault evictions and an urgent mass council home building programme.

TAX THE RICH TO SAVE THE NHS

After years of austerity and privatisation, our NHS is on its knees. It’s time to end outsourcing, invest in a fully public system of universal healthcare and build a National Care Service.

The government says there's no more money for our NHS - but they're wrong. We can give our public services the money they need by introducing a wealth tax, raising income tax on the top 5% of earners and making corporations pay their fair share.

WELCOME REFUGEES AND A WORLD FREE FROM WAR

Refugees are being scapegoated for an economic crisis they didn’t create. We must work towards a world of peace, free from nuclear weapons where conflicts are resolved through diplomacy and negotiation. We need a humane migration system based on dignity, compassion and care, which gives asylum seekers the right to work, healthcare and housing.

The refugees of today are our doctors, teachers and neighbours of tomorrow.

thecorbynproject.com/demands/?link_id=1&can_id=0beeb0c6424ffd5fe79b086eda1894fc&source=email-inequality-is-a-political-choice-2&email_referrer=email_1856871___subject_2367821&email_subject=our-5-demands

Yammy Sat 25-Mar-23 15:57:55

Germanshepherdsmum

*Yammy*, by googling your username anyone can find your posts under that username, they can’t find out who you are.

"They can't find out who you are", or can they? Some people have contacted me to be careful and they have left! People give clues to where they live inadvertently I admit, they also give information about being away on holiday etc. I was just passing on the warning I have been given.

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 25-Mar-23 16:00:28

No they can’t identify you from your username but you may post details which would enable someone who knows you to realise who you are.

Yammy Sat 25-Mar-23 17:44:43

I have not been identified myself, I hope I am careful enough but have been warned on occasions lately and I was passing it on. I might be having a foggy time but did not realise that if you googled your user name your postings will come up, as they found out. My DDs have called it an "OH Mother" moment.hmm all my secrets are still safe.

Norah Sat 25-Mar-23 17:50:41

Yammy

I have not been identified myself, I hope I am careful enough but have been warned on occasions lately and I was passing it on. I might be having a foggy time but did not realise that if you googled your user name your postings will come up, as they found out. My DDs have called it an "OH Mother" moment.hmm all my secrets are still safe.

I also attempt to be quite cautious. Details obscured.

Our daughters say "Mum, you're looking at that? silly you."

MaizieD Sat 25-Mar-23 18:34:56

While I realise that it's possible that I could be identified I'm not altogether sure why anyone would want to identify me...

Unless we were approaching some sort of dystopian situation where one could be arrested for one's political leanings,,,

MaizieD Sat 25-Mar-23 18:37:53

P.S I think that meetups could be potentially more dangerous...What if one of the lovely grans were a 5th columnist?

Oreo Sat 25-Mar-23 18:55:31

I hear you Yammy👏🏻
I don’t say much online, no really personal stuff especially what you do for a job or where you live or pics or anything .
Def not a meet up either.

choughdancer Sun 26-Mar-23 09:23:47

MaizieD

While I realise that it's possible that I could be identified I'm not altogether sure why anyone would want to identify me...

Unless we were approaching some sort of dystopian situation where one could be arrested for one's political leanings,,,

I can't see the problem with someone possibly knowing who I am; I'm not giving away any financial information, nor contact details. And why would anyone want to, anyway; I'm not very interesting!

Should I fear a posse of grans finding out where I live and marching up to my door and shouting at me about my opinions? I hope I would welcome them in and make them cups of tea.

If anyone wants to con me out of money or learn all my passwords or anything else, they will need far more than recognising me as someone they've met or who lives near them.

dogsmother Sun 26-Mar-23 09:42:07

There’s anonymity for those who need it. Those of of us who don’t need it can be a little more reckless. I don’t believe I’ve given enough to come to any harm….

Katie59 Sun 26-Mar-23 10:18:14

Utopia, a world free from want does not and will not exist, there are far too many that will sit back an exploit the industrious.
The “right” to a good life, is not balanced by the “responsibility” to contribute as much as you can, that is just as prevalent at low incomes as high incomes.

MaizieD Sun 26-Mar-23 11:26:36

Utopia, a world free from want does not and will not exist,

Which doesn't mean that we can't try to get as near to it as possible.

We certainly won't achieve it by demonising some sections of society and by defending the 'rights' of another section to monopolise as much of society's resources as they can lay their hands on.

choughdancer Sun 26-Mar-23 13:14:37

MaizieD

^Utopia, a world free from want does not and will not exist,^

Which doesn't mean that we can't try to get as near to it as possible.

We certainly won't achieve it by demonising some sections of society and by defending the 'rights' of another section to monopolise as much of society's resources as they can lay their hands on.

Well said MaizieD!

Yammy Sun 26-Mar-23 13:19:45

A friend booked a taxi to take them to the local airport on two weeks holiday. The taxi driver talked to them about where they were going. When they came home their house had been completely cleared out, and the taxi driver had not been checked by the company and had used an alias.
Some people give far too much away about themselves and even their actions. How do you know you have not been identified? Do you expect them to contact and tell you?
Thanks, Oreo for seeing what I am getting at.
If you don't mind being identified carry on as normal if you wish to remain anonymous be careful.

choughdancer Sun 26-Mar-23 13:27:24

Yammy

A friend booked a taxi to take them to the local airport on two weeks holiday. The taxi driver talked to them about where they were going. When they came home their house had been completely cleared out, and the taxi driver had not been checked by the company and had used an alias.
Some people give far too much away about themselves and even their actions. How do you know you have not been identified? Do you expect them to contact and tell you?
If you don't mind being identified carry on as normal if you wish to remain anonymous be careful.

Surely this issue deserves a thread of its own? It's got nothing to do with my original post!

Grany Sun 26-Mar-23 14:13:34

Agree choughdancer a fairer world. We were cheated out of a JC and a Labour Government Senior paid staffers in labour were working against Labour. Good that a leaked report showed what they did. Now the right are in opposition with Stanmer a liar The notable top barister Forde was interviewed said labour had not responded nor acted on his many recommendations there exists a hierarchy of racism in Labour Starmer only interested in getting rid of anti racist Jews who support Palestine Starmer is authoritarian and undemocratic and establishment

Yammy Sun 26-Mar-23 17:15:19

choughdancer

Yammy

Surely this issue deserves a thread of its own? It's got nothing to do with my original post!

It has everything to do with your original post, if you inadvertently give details about yourself and your political views are apparent when you provide opinions on your original post.
I actually discussed with someone if I should put my original post on and they agreed.
Nothing to do with Gransnet but they did not realise just like I didn't that you and your opinions on anything you answer can be found on Google by a quick Google search.
You are asking people to give their political opinions I pointed out that they would go down forever and be very easily found..

MaizieD Sun 26-Mar-23 18:06:02

You are asking people to give their political opinions I pointed out that they would go down forever and be very easily found..

So you are foretelling a dystopian future in which we will be harmed by expressing our political opinions on social media?

What do you know that we don't?

I think I've more chance of being identified on twitter, where I do post in my own name than from what I say on Gnet...

DaisyAnne Sun 26-Mar-23 18:20:30

I would be interested to know exactly what "Democratic Public Ownership" actually means choughdancer. How does it differ from old fashioned nationalisation?

DaisyAnne Sun 26-Mar-23 18:45:26

Germanshepherdsmum

Some people just don’t think their idealistic demands through - if they did they would realise that some of the consequences would adversely affect them, not just ‘the rich’.

That would be true of all those with extremist views GSM. Even people on GN, both on the far right (shades of the 1930s) and the hard left (shades of the early 1900s), will make such extraordinary claims.

Germanshepherdsmum Sun 26-Mar-23 18:46:59

Extraordinary?

Mollygo Sun 26-Mar-23 18:47:01

I’d query parts of number 3 HOUSING FOR THE MANY

On average, British renters spend 30% of their income on rent. Over one million households are waiting for council and social homes, whilst quarter of a million people are homeless. Housing is a human right, not a commodity – everyone deserves a decent, safe, warm and affordable place to live.
Yes, but . . .
Whilst people choose to have more than one home just to get away to for a holiday, particularly in tourist or small village areas, some people don’t even stand a chance of finding somewhere to rent.

We need an immediate rent freeze and reduction
not sure how that would work

an end to no-fault evictions Yes

and an urgent mass council home building programme.
Yes. (I don’t want a lecture on who authorised the right to buy council houses.)
If the houses built were council houses, there would be less chance for new houses to be bought by those who don’t need a home, just an investment.
Where would the funding for these council houses come from? Our rates have just gone up to account for filling in potholes among other things. Would ring-fenced funding from the government in power provide the source?

Barmeyoldbat Sun 26-Mar-23 18:54:35

Why anyone would want to identify me is a mystery, my gc don’t call me Barmeyoldbat for nothing!

DaisyAnne Sun 26-Mar-23 19:05:40

Germanshepherdsmum

Extraordinary?

Is that about my spelling again?

HousePlantQueen Sun 26-Mar-23 19:14:09

volver3

www.epi.org/blog/inflation-minimum-wages-and-profits-protecting-low-wage-workers-from-inflation-means-raising-the-minimum-wage/

Why increasing the minimum wage doesn't imply a detrimental effect on prices. That's an old right wing excuse that doesn't work any more.

that excuse was used by Victorians who stuffed children up chimneys and had children crawling around looms in the mills. Most of us who are economically literate know the reasons given for non implementation of a fair minimum wage are political and nothing more. Well, maybe ignorance too.

Germanshepherdsmum Sun 26-Mar-23 19:18:46

You know full well it isn’t. Why is questioning these demands extremist or extraordinary? I question them but am neither extremist nor extraordinary in my opinions.