Gransnet forums

News & politics

Asylum seekers unhappy at Stratford- upon- Avon Hotel

(162 Posts)
lemsip Sat 25-Mar-23 21:16:36

And asylum seekers are also frequently unhappy about languishing in sometimes isolated hotels, and unable to work due to strict rules, a MailOnline investigation has found.

Typical were asylum seekers staying at the three-star Grosvenor Hotel in Stratford-upon-Avon, Warwickshire, who told of their unhappiness about their living arrangements.
one said: 'It's awful here and there are too many problems. We don't want to be living all together in a hotel, we want a house so we can be independent.'

Speaking in the grounds of the hotel which had a multi-million-pound refurbishment before closing to paying guests five months ago, she moaned: 'No one likes living here.

'We all hate it and we are shut in our rooms all day with nothing to do. The hotel is very, very bad. We want a proper home.'

anna7 Mon 27-Mar-23 17:23:06

What stats Volver? The stats I've seen say 80 to 90% of asylum seekers are young males. I am not against genuine asylum seekers by the way but I do think it's complicated subject and I understand that people have genuine concerns

volver3 Mon 27-Mar-23 17:18:49

....from which you conclude its only men coming now. There's the reasoning power of your average anti-immigrant person right there....

Jackiest Mon 27-Mar-23 17:18:24

Just because they are young men does not mean they are economic migrants. When there is a war it is the young men that are forced to fight and be killed, often for a cause they do not agree with. So yes it is quite reasonable for them to be fleeing the country quick before they are rounded up to fight.

Biscuitmuncher Mon 27-Mar-23 17:16:19

volver3 it's funny how my daughters haven't been followed and harrassed by refugee families

volver3 Mon 27-Mar-23 17:08:43

Biscuitmuncher

Glorianny but it's just young men coming now

It's not though

I thought of linking to the stats, but what's the point? You'll just ignore them.

Biscuitmuncher Mon 27-Mar-23 17:05:25

Glorianny but it's just young men coming now

MaizieD Mon 27-Mar-23 17:04:31

Well, it's that never ending conflict. Everywhere, people are moaning about the amount of taxes we are now paying (highest rates since the 1950's, I think), coupled with the rocketing cost of living.

In order to put money into building much more social housing, or pay more in Housing benefit for overpriced private rentals, we would need to raise taxes still further

This is where I really wish that I could convince more people of the fact that taxes don't fund government spending; that the government spends first, then taxes back the money it has spent. That the government creates its own money and the effective limit to creating money is a lack of resources to spend it on.

Then we could turn this whole scenario on its head and instead of believing that tax has to be taken before anything can be 'bought' (e.g house building) we could be happy about a government that proposed to spend on projects to improve life for everyone in our society. This would not only boost the economy by boosting jobs, wages and all the private companies that supply goods and services to state enterprises, but it would also increase the tax take because there would be more money in the economy to tax back.. Without having to raise tax rates at all...

There was billions wasted during the pandemic, but that money has gone - it will never come back.

There certainly was £billions wasted. It won't come back because it's gone into the pockets of people like the lovely Baroness Mone who having landed us with huge quantities of over priced and useless PPE carefully stashed her 'cut' away where the tax man can't get at it...

But the £billions created by the government for financing the pandemic is proof in full sight that governments don't need to tax before they can spend... (and it isn't 'owed' to anyone, either)

Glorianny Mon 27-Mar-23 16:45:15

To all those who want to send everyone back I would rather see 10 economic migrants temporarily able to enter the country than see one family escaping from a war zone, one woman fleeing persecution and rape, or one orphaned child trying to find family, refused asylum.
There is a house near me where the Kinder transport children stayed, and another which housed children fleeing the war in Spain. We had principles then.

MaizieD Mon 27-Mar-23 16:42:40

Forsythia

I know nothing about Michelle Mone. I’d wait until a true and honest picture emerges. I would take anything you say as gospel.

How many ex servicemen and homeless do you house Volver? Let’s hear it.

Here's some information about Mone and PPE

news.sky.com/story/michelle-mone-who-is-she-and-what-is-the-ppe-controversy-swirling-around-the-tory-peer-12762756

www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/dec/09/revealed-the-full-inside-story-of-the-michelle-mone-ppe-scandal

Biscuitmuncher Mon 27-Mar-23 16:15:07

Its modern day slavery big money is being made somewhere

DiamondLily Mon 27-Mar-23 15:18:59

icanhandthemback

When my British born cousin fled an abusive and coercive marriage in the US and came home with her 4 children, she also had to stay in a hotel for months and months before she was rehoused. She wasn't overly happy but she was relieved that she had a roof over her head, a school for the children and was safe. If your alternative is being shot at, being bombed, being executed for having the wrong sexuality or other such awful, I would think that being safe would be your first priority. However, I do think it is incumbent on us to speed up the system because living in cramped conditions isn't easy when you are in the best of mental health.

Yes, the system needs to be speeded up for everyone's sake.

Genuine refugees need to be helped into building a new life. Fleeing in fear of your life must be awful.

Those that aren't genuine refugees need to be sent back - we can't really accommodate economic migrants.

But, unfortunately, the Home Office seem to work at a snail's pace.🙄

icanhandthemback Mon 27-Mar-23 15:02:27

I also think this business of being unable to work is a crying shame and very short sighted. My sister's Turkish husband, who originally had come over as an au pair and talked my sister into marrying him, when he applied for leave to stay was not able to legally work for a couple of years. However, he found plenty of work in the black market amongst the Turkish Community until he was allowed to stay.

icanhandthemback Mon 27-Mar-23 14:59:12

When my British born cousin fled an abusive and coercive marriage in the US and came home with her 4 children, she also had to stay in a hotel for months and months before she was rehoused. She wasn't overly happy but she was relieved that she had a roof over her head, a school for the children and was safe. If your alternative is being shot at, being bombed, being executed for having the wrong sexuality or other such awful, I would think that being safe would be your first priority. However, I do think it is incumbent on us to speed up the system because living in cramped conditions isn't easy when you are in the best of mental health.

Mollygo Mon 27-Mar-23 14:53:17

Quokka

Most want to work. Let them while their applications are being processed. Can you imagine being confined by the limits of a tiny budget with nothing to do? Day after day.

It’s a recipe for trouble.

Greta Mon 27-Mar-23 14:46:25

Should something be done about all the empty properties in this country?

DiamondLily Mon 27-Mar-23 14:19:40

Well, the government say that the hotel stays are due to end in the next week or so, and the migrants will be moved/placed in disused army/services barracks.

One council has sought an injunction to prevent any being sent to their area:

And, therein lies the problem.

www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/mar/26/council-takes-legal-action-to-stop-asylum-seekers-being-sent-to-essex-airfield

Quokka Mon 27-Mar-23 14:19:17

Most want to work. Let them while their applications are being processed. Can you imagine being confined by the limits of a tiny budget with nothing to do? Day after day.

MayBee70 Mon 27-Mar-23 14:05:57

volver3

MayBee70

Forsythia

I know nothing about Michelle Mone. I’d wait until a true and honest picture emerges. I would take anything you say as gospel.

Isn’t it the responsibility of governments to take care of ex servicemen and the homeless? They did provide accommodation for the homeless at the start of the pandemic which I hoped would continue but they seem to have forgotten about them again.

Its the responsibility of the government to look after asylum seekers too. Its just that some people don't like that fact.

Precisely….

DiamondLily Mon 27-Mar-23 13:58:25

volver3

DiamondLily

According to reports out today, the government are giving police new powers to move on (and hassle), our homeless/rough sleepers, under this latest new anti-social behaviour crackdown.

If anyone is unhappy in a hotel, perhaps they could just swap with someone that's stuck in a shop doorway. I'm sure some of them would welcome being in a hotel.🙄

www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2023/03/26/rishi-sunak-get-tough-anti-social-behaviour/

So all these homeless people that we could be spending money on and putting up in hotels - the government has decided to hassle them have they? Give them a hard time?

When will people see that the reason we have homeless people on the street and lack of services isn't that the money's being spent on asylum seekers, its that the government doesn't want to help them?

Well, it's that never ending conflict. Everywhere, people are moaning about the amount of taxes we are now paying (highest rates since the 1950's, I think), coupled with the rocketing cost of living.

In order to put money into building much more social housing, or pay more in Housing benefit for overpriced private rentals, we would need to raise taxes still further.😗

There was billions wasted during the pandemic, but that money has gone - it will never come back.

The reality is that the government probably won't raise taxes again, before the election, so there still won't be the house building we need.

So, I still don't know what the answer is as it is becoming untenable with so many in inadequate temporary housing or homeless.

A government or party viewing up the next election will always play to what public opinion seems to be - and the majority (in most polls), support slashing/stopping migrants, especially those coming over the Channel.

Even Labour have said they will tighten up on it.

volver3 Mon 27-Mar-23 13:48:44

MayBee70

Forsythia

Isn’t it the responsibility of governments to take care of ex servicemen and the homeless? They did provide accommodation for the homeless at the start of the pandemic which I hoped would continue but they seem to have forgotten about them again.

Its the responsibility of the government to look after asylum seekers too. Its just that some people don't like that fact.

volver3 Mon 27-Mar-23 13:47:47

I know nothing about Michelle Mone.

Well that's clear enough.

Forsythia Mon 27-Mar-23 13:42:11

I didn’t bring that up MayBee. You’d better ask Volver why she did.

MayBee70 Mon 27-Mar-23 13:40:41

Forsythia

Forsythia Mon 27-Mar-23 13:36:59

Wouldn’t take anything you say as gospel.

Forsythia Mon 27-Mar-23 13:36:34