Gransnet forums

News & politics

Harry in the High Court.

(124 Posts)
Calendargirl Mon 27-Mar-23 13:52:28

Prince Harry has appeared at the High Court along with other celebrities re their court case against Associated Newspapers in a privacy case.

I wonder where he’s staying?

At least he didn’t have to slip in by the back door in an attempt to go unnoticed.

welbeck Mon 27-Mar-23 22:11:17

no one is in the dock.
nor are there any prosecutors.
there are several plaintiffs (now called claimants).
it is a civil action not a criminal trial.

Glorianny Mon 27-Mar-23 22:13:49

Good for Harry to turn up, in spite of all the negativity about him, to support and stand with the others involved in this. Just shows that some people in the RF recognise that the "Never respond" policy is sometimes completely wrong and taking a stand is necessary.

Oreo Mon 27-Mar-23 22:19:57

He may be only standing up for himself tho, not supporting others.
Not that I care.

DiamondLily Tue 28-Mar-23 08:56:05

Bearing in mind how much the DM bang on about how we need to get shot of the long standing Human Rights Act, and that full freedom of the press to report, is very vital, to expose the wrong doing of the rich and powerful, I wonder how they justify this:

www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/mar/27/daily-mail-parent-company-invokes-human-rights-act-to-stop-naming-of-journalists

🙄

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 28-Mar-23 09:02:02

I don’t think for one moment that H is here ‘to support and stand with the others’.

Smileless2012 Tue 28-Mar-23 09:39:04

Neither do I GSM.

Anniebach Tue 28-Mar-23 09:42:40

Harry supporting others ? 🙄

Ilovecheese Tue 28-Mar-23 10:21:57

No reason why he shouldn't be there to support others, you just don't want to believe it.

Glorianny Tue 28-Mar-23 10:22:44

Germanshepherdsmum

I don’t think for one moment that H is here ‘to support and stand with the others’.

So his very presence hasn't brought more publicity to the case? He isn't sitting with the rest of the claimants? I thought you had a legal background GSM surely one of the things which matters when anything comes to court is the number of claimants who appear to put their case.
If you are there you are by your very presence offering support to the others.

I realise it is incredibly hard for some people to give any credit at all to Harry.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 28-Mar-23 10:31:38

Harry is there for Harry. What is important is the veracity of each claimant’s claim, not the sheer number of claimants.

Chestnut Tue 28-Mar-23 10:43:24

Cold

pascal30

If it's true it's an appalling breach of privacy, I'd hate to have my conversations listened to by strangers for their profit and exploitation.. I can completely understand that all the prosecutors would want to be in court..

I bet his family are saying the same thing about their private family moments ... as well as that girl he had sex with in the field

I think he has a brass neck for complaining about privacy after the way he exploited his family and friends for money in his book and Netflix series. Has he ever considered the pain he has put everyone through? Once again, the total hypocrite.

Grantanow Tue 28-Mar-23 10:50:56

The Daily Wail has had it coming. I hope this finishes it like the News of the World was finished.

Chestnut Tue 28-Mar-23 10:55:12

Grantanow

The Daily Wail has had it coming. I hope this finishes it like the News of the World was finished.

We need the Daily Mail just as we need the Guardian. And don't forget the many worthy campaigns they have run over the years. They are not all bad.

Ilovecheese Tue 28-Mar-23 11:02:30

If the excessive bad behaviour from the Daily Mail can be stopped, and Prince Harry can assist in that, the paper would not be in any danger. I agree we need a varied press, though I wish it was a bit more balanced.
But this intrusion into people's privacy is just plain wrong, whoever they are.

Anniebach Tue 28-Mar-23 11:05:34

Harry needs to change his own behaviour before criticising others.

Glorianny Tue 28-Mar-23 11:33:45

Anniebach

Harry needs to change his own behaviour before criticising others.

As far as I am aware Harry has never hacked into private phone calls, published details of the private lives of ordinary citizens or intruded on the grief of a bereaved family.
He has published his own story which I believe is a fundamental part of free speech.
The way the Daily Mail has behaved is disgusting and is nothing to do with free speech or a free press.

Glorianny Tue 28-Mar-23 11:38:45

Germanshepherdsmum

Harry is there for Harry. What is important is the veracity of each claimant’s claim, not the sheer number of claimants.

You don't appear to understand that this is a group litigation and not one brought by individuals.

Sparklefizz Tue 28-Mar-23 11:43:36

Glorianny As far as I am aware Harry has never ....... published details of the private lives of ordinary citizens ....

Actually Harry revealed a number of other people's personal details in his book - the woman he had sex with in a field who had to "out" herself because people were curious and gossiping, details about past girlfriends without getting their permission, etc etc He's not nearly as careful with other people's privacy as he demands for himself.

maddyone Tue 28-Mar-23 11:44:49

You don’t think that Harry has published private details of citizens? Or is it okay if those citizens happen to be famous/well known/royals?

The hypocrisy of Harry’s behaviour is absolutely breathtaking. He wants privacy but no one else is entitled to privacy! Astounding!

maddyone Tue 28-Mar-23 11:46:04

That was addressed to Glorianny.

Well said Sparklefizz.

Joseanne Tue 28-Mar-23 11:49:28

Have you read Spare Glorianny? Cover to cover? There are plenty of private conversations recorded in there, in addition to Harry's skewed slant on them.

FannyCornforth Tue 28-Mar-23 11:49:44

Grantanow

It bounced right back as The Sun on Sunday!

It’s a crying shame about Doreen Lawrence, considering the sterling work that The Daily Mail did to bang Stephen’s killers to rights.

Print journalism is a thoroughly grubby business, especially as it’s now so competitive

Glorianny Tue 28-Mar-23 11:55:42

He wrote about what happened to him. It isn't illegal nor should it be. It might have been good manners to contact the people he was mentioning but no one who writes their autobiography usually does this.
It isn't a question of privacy it is a question of the legality of obtaining information by illegal, underhand and unacceptable methods.
Honestly I've never seen prejudice so obviously applied to a case. Really you should be ashamed of yourselves.
What you are in fact saying is that no one is entitled to publish their own story and if they do so they must expect other organisations to use any methods they choose to investigate and intrude on their lives.
Doreen Lawrence wrote her story- And Still I Rise, so I suppose she deserves press intrusion as well?

merlotgran Tue 28-Mar-23 11:56:27

As far as I am aware Harry has never published details of the private lives of ordinary citizens

Oh yes he has.

Grany Tue 28-Mar-23 11:59:03

There is far too much secrecy in RF historians have to pay hundreds of thousabds their own money to fight their case to open up RF history and the cover ups deny what our history is all about. What have RF got to hide. Glad Harry told his story lift the lid on "royal "source "Palace said briefing to press. And Charles and Cam have Daily Fail as their PR