Gransnet forums

News & politics

Proposals for an octopus farm in Spain

(47 Posts)
Dinahmo Wed 29-Mar-23 15:39:28

I've just read about proposals for a new octopus farm in Spain. They will crammed into tanks and then frozen alive. They are intelligent sedentary creatures who are able to solve a variety of tasks

Avaaz have started a campaign and I am attaching a link

secure.avaaz.org/campaign/en/ban_octopus_farming_loc/?cXxfwbb

Also - here's a link to an item in euro news

www.euronews.com/green/2022/02/24/an-environmental-disaster-europe-will-soon-be-home-to-the-world-s-first-octopus-farm

Oopsadaisy1 Tue 04-Apr-23 10:42:41

Signed and shared on FB

HiPpyChick57 Tue 04-Apr-23 09:52:52

Signed and shared on Facebook.
How can they do this to intelligent sentient creatures.
There’s no humane way to kill them. Well in fact I don’t believe there’s a humane way to kill any animal!
They will be subjecting these beautiful creatures to terrible cruelty, both in the conditions they will be kept in and then when they’re killed.
Heinous greedy people that what it amounts to. 😡

Kalu Sat 01-Apr-23 23:32:05

Signed 😢

Anniel Sat 01-Apr-23 21:29:10

Shared on FB and signed petition. How cruel can mankind get!!!

Shizam Sat 01-Apr-23 20:36:03

I have signed. Sad they are even thinking of doing this. We know so much now, and yet, the humans keep doing the bad thing..

Dianehillbilly1957 Sat 01-Apr-23 17:34:50

Why are humans SO cruel?!

Shirls52000 Sat 01-Apr-23 17:30:29

It’s dreadful, I signed a while ago

Buntymart Sat 01-Apr-23 17:28:11

I cannot believe how inhuman this is! Please sign and share.

Maremia Sat 01-Apr-23 17:25:00

Thanks for this information. It's very sad, and at a time when Westminster has just signed a deal, CPTTP, that will allow the lowering of food production standards, so it could get worse for animals in the food chain in the UK. Have just signed your petition and it is at 708,000 plus. Hope it succeeds.

2507C0 Sat 01-Apr-23 16:39:49

Heartbroken that humans still think this is okay in the face of everything we know and the recent pandemic, not to mention how utterly cruel and despicable it is. Humans seem to think up new and awful ways to exploit our fellow animals and there seems to be no conscious or humanity involved. These poor little souls will suffer from beginning to end. 😭

Jaye53 Sat 01-Apr-23 16:27:53

Have willingly signed and twittered.its got tremendous amounts of signatures! Spain and its bullfighting bloody history too sad

Shinamae Sat 01-Apr-23 16:04:02

Signed and shared.
So much cruelty to animals in this world. I saw a photograph awhile ago of a matador, sat down with the bull, looking at him with all those swords stuck in him, as if to say “why did you do this to me”? and apparently the Matador never faught another bull, well, it’s not fight is it it’s a slaughter 🤦‍♀️

NanaDana Sat 01-Apr-23 15:55:58

What a horrific idea. Sadly, Spain has a less than impressive record as regards cruelty towards animals, and this simply adds to it. In his new documentary, Miguel Angel Rolland the Spanish film-maker has chronicled some of the 16,000 religious festivals across Spain that he says involve the torture of animals. Not an easy watch. I will most certainly be signing the petition. Shameful.

Maxine16 Sat 01-Apr-23 13:59:47

Signed and shared. Absolutely horrific idea!

Gillycats Sat 01-Apr-23 13:30:45

Thanks Dinahmo for highlighting this. It is shocking but no less shocking than poor farm animals. Pigs are very intelligent too, their suffering is beyond belief.

grannydarkhair Sat 01-Apr-23 13:29:32

Over 700, 000 have now signed.

grannydarkhair Sat 01-Apr-23 13:28:08

Signed and shared.

pinkquartz Sat 01-Apr-23 13:25:19

I have signed. I never would eat squid or octopus......they are intelligent and sensitive creatures. Perhaps some TV progs, showing how they are, including changing colour, could help to educate people on this disgusting plan.

glammagran Sat 01-Apr-23 13:23:16

I have just signed the petition. I was horrified to read about this in the news a week or so ago. Coincidentally, on our October cruise, we will be stopping at La Coruña which is where the proposed octopus farm will be.

shoppinggirl Sat 01-Apr-23 13:19:14

I was in Morrisons one day and passing the fish counter was horrified to see packs of baby squid in the reduced section for 50p because no-one wanted to buy them. I'm sure by the end of the day they would just have been binned. Seems to me nothing is sacred if there's money to be made. One of the reasons I'm a veggie.

Buntymart Sat 01-Apr-23 12:23:11

I've signed and shared as well.
Absolutely disgusting... can't bear it!

HannahLoisLuke Sat 01-Apr-23 12:13:54

Barbaric idea. I’ve signed and shared.

Funnygran Sat 01-Apr-23 11:58:16

It sounds horrific. I’ve read many times that they are intelligent but solitary creatures. Thank you for sharing the link. I’ll sign the petition.

Cat4 Sat 01-Apr-23 11:47:13

Thats awful. I have put the link onto
my Face Book page

Moggycuddler Sat 01-Apr-23 11:42:42

Just appalling. I am pretty much vegan anyway because of cruelty to animals for food. But such intelligent creatures with such a huge capacity for suffering - awful to think of.