Gransnet forums

News & politics

Thank you Britain for signing up to destroy my home

(63 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Sat 01-Apr-23 06:04:15

Where shall I go once it is all gone?

The UK’s latest trade deal with Asia will see the UK abandon European regulations and previous tariffs on palm oil at the behest of Malaysia – a country notorious for its rife logging, resource extraction, exploitation, corruption and land-grabbing.

Signed today, the Comprehensive and Progressive Agreement for Trans-Pacific Partnership (CPTPP) will bring a mere 0.08% to Britain’s economy at the expense of environmental safeguarding against a product linked to mass deforestation.

The demand for palm oil has decimated forests across south-east Asia.

ronib Sat 01-Apr-23 10:44:38

In reply to ww2

ronib Sat 01-Apr-23 10:47:47

volver3

This is what I'm trying to say:

The UK doesn't buy 1% of its palm oil from Malaysia, it buys 1% of Malaysia's palm oil. These 2 things are not the same.

Kemi says palm oil is a good product. How? What makes it good?

The tariff situation does not scale; if there are no tariffs at all the we will buy more of it and hence cause more damage.

Just because Kami says it, doesn't make it true.

1 per cent of Malaysia’s palm oil bought by the Uk? Maybe go attack the other 99 per cent if you want to stop deforestation?

Wheniwasyourage Sat 01-Apr-23 10:51:53

Apparently it is a good thing to buy products where the palm oil is sustainable but with this terrible deal are we still going to be able to tell sustainable from unsustainable?

Of course we should have stayed in the EU, nanna8, but you won't convince some people. I am in complete despair about what we are doing to our planet, and am inclined to agree with FannyCornforth that perhaps we, as a species, need to be removed.

paddyann54 Sat 01-Apr-23 10:52:28

There are none so blind as those who will not see Ronib sadly you wont be the only person on here willing to stand and watch the earth destriyed because "Kemi "or some other selfservative thinks its OK .
Your grandchildren wont thank you for THIS !!

Wheniwasyourage Sat 01-Apr-23 10:52:42

A lot of whataboutery there, ronib.

volver3 Sat 01-Apr-23 10:53:32

So what you're saying is that we should just not bother because we won't make any difference? At what point will we become relevant. 5%? 10%?

We will be lending our support to a trade that is indefensible. We're not leading the way by showing how awful it is, we're saying its OK because it makes money.

Global Britain is it? What a disgrace we are.

MayBee70 Sat 01-Apr-23 10:53:54

ronib

Daisymae

This was the driver to leave the EU. An avoidance of checks and balances. Let's just line our pockets and to hell with the repercussions.

I wonder why it’s okay to keep the UK in poverty? The EU is not perfect and in any case, we’re out of it. I really object to being stuck with the mindset that keeps this country from moving on and up.

And how exactly have we moved up since we left the EU?

Kandinsky Sat 01-Apr-23 11:18:21

Unless you walk or cycle to your holiday in the Maldives, I don’t think you’re really that bothered about saving the planet.

volver3 Sat 01-Apr-23 11:24:08

Planet will be fine it's the people you need to worry about.

I have no grandchildren, so I'm not worried about them.

Wonder if you have descendants Kandinsky?. They'll be OK knowing that when there was still time to stop climate change, Grandma K thought it was better to make fatuous jokes on social media.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 01-Apr-23 11:26:35

Kandinsky

Unless you walk or cycle to your holiday in the Maldives, I don’t think you’re really that bothered about saving the planet.

Judgemental comments cut no ice I’m afraid, as you know nothing about me or my life.

Keep to the subject without being personal, you will find it a much better way forward.

JackyB Sat 01-Apr-23 11:36:22

My first thought was "since when was the UK in the Pacific?"

ronib Sat 01-Apr-23 11:41:32

MayBee70 Kemi Badenoch is apparently international trade secretary and her job is to make new trade deals with the global community.

I admit it has been quite slow in getting started but this is where we are as a country. Sky News has a very small clip of an interview with her.

Since most people would agree that the economy of the UK is in poor shape, I would like to know why global trade agreements are such a bad policy?

nanna8 Sat 01-Apr-23 11:48:01

India, China, Europe and Pakistan are the top 4 importers of palm oil so what I said about the UK leaving the EU was likely wrong.

volver3 Sat 01-Apr-23 11:49:02

Can you explain how this deal improves our economy ronib?

NB - we already have trade deals with all but two of the countries in the bloc, Chile and Malaysia I think. Happy to be proved wrong.

MaizieD Sat 01-Apr-23 11:52:38

Doesn't dropping the tariff on Malaysian palm oil mean that we might in future buy more of it? Isn't that the point of lowering tariffs in trade agreements; to encourage other countries to buy more of your products?

Another thing about this 'deal' is that it reintroduces those secret courts in which a party to the agreement can take another party to court if that party's laws make it difficult for them to sell their products to them. Wasn't there a huge fuss abut this a few years ago when there was talk of us joining this partnership?

So if the UK banned the use of palm oil in certain products Malaysia could take us to this secret court to get the ban overturned because it harmed their trade with us... And we'd all be none the wiser...

Whitewavemark2 Sat 01-Apr-23 11:57:38

The EU are giving this trade bloc consideration, - watch how they will use their muscle to get the deal they want and not one that is forced on them because they are economically weaker.

MaizieD Sat 01-Apr-23 12:00:47

volver3

NB - we already have trade deals with all but two of the countries in the bloc, Chile and Malaysia I think. Happy to be proved wrong.

Oh, come on, volver. It's going to improve our GDP by a massive 0.08% over 10 years. Set against the 4% annually we will lose through leaving the EU.

What's not to like? grin

volver3 Sat 01-Apr-23 12:01:36

😁

GrannyGravy13 Sat 01-Apr-23 12:01:51

MaizieD the U.K. started banning palm oil in certain products in 2020 (Google)

The EU imports 9.4% of Malaysian palm oil on the grounds that it doesn’t add to deforestation/harm the environment according to several articles on Google.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 01-Apr-23 12:05:35

MaizieD

volver3

Oh, come on, volver. It's going to improve our GDP by a massive 0.08% over 10 years. Set against the 4% annually we will lose through leaving the EU.

What's not to like? grin

I read it was actually 0.008% so even better 😄😄

MaizieD Sat 01-Apr-23 13:43:12

GrannyGravy13

MaizieD the U.K. started banning palm oil in certain products in 2020 (Google)

The EU imports 9.4% of Malaysian palm oil on the grounds that it doesn’t add to deforestation/harm the environment according to several articles on Google.

I wonder if the EU just imports a quota or is unlimited.

ronib Sat 01-Apr-23 13:55:09

Unexpectedly busy with grandchildren just now…. Shall catch up with this thread later on….

Callistemon21 Sat 01-Apr-23 15:15:40

ronib

volver3

This is what I'm trying to say:

The UK doesn't buy 1% of its palm oil from Malaysia, it buys 1% of Malaysia's palm oil. These 2 things are not the same.

Kemi says palm oil is a good product. How? What makes it good?

The tariff situation does not scale; if there are no tariffs at all the we will buy more of it and hence cause more damage.

Just because Kami says it, doesn't make it true.

1 per cent of Malaysia’s palm oil bought by the Uk? Maybe go attack the other 99 per cent if you want to stop deforestation?

That's why I suggested we could have made a difference here, not by attacking the other countries in the group but by holding discussions about sustainability, environmental concerns about deforestation and loss of habitat for orangutans.

However, would the other countries have listened?

MerylStreep Sat 01-Apr-23 15:20:15

Callistemon
Do want the short answer or the short answer: no and, eh, no.
Sad but true.

HousePlantQueen Sat 01-Apr-23 15:23:31

ronib

MayBee70 Kemi Badenoch is apparently international trade secretary and her job is to make new trade deals with the global community.

I admit it has been quite slow in getting started but this is where we are as a country. Sky News has a very small clip of an interview with her.

Since most people would agree that the economy of the UK is in poor shape, I would like to know why global trade agreements are such a bad policy?

so what happened to all the trade deals that were just waiting to be signed on 17th June 2016? You know the day when certain people were cheering about the decision to leave the EU.