Gransnet forums

News & politics

No you CANT

(55 Posts)
paddyann54 Mon 29-May-23 21:02:46

Include GLASS in your DRS ...but Wales can and England will when they get theirs up and running ,,next year?
The Westminster government are quite frankly acting like nutters ,trying to control devolved decisions already passed by the Scottish government
.Including glass would take @ 54 million bottles and jars off the streets ..you know like we did for a long time here take it back and get a small payment .
Apparently the whole union act or whatever its called is being dragged out AGAIN to suit them .All they'll do is get backs up and make us more determined to get away from them
Why is Westminster full of complete assholes?
It didn't stop Thatcher imposing the poll tax on us so why should it stop the safe disposal of GLASS.cLOWNS!!

Oreo Tue 30-May-23 12:57:41

Foxygloves

Could you please explain what the heck this is about?

It might be clearer if it was in Gaelic😄

Callistemon21 Tue 30-May-23 12:50:38

I must say when we lived in an East Coast City, we had to take our glass to a depository a few miles away and sort it into colours until ....the collection van was caught tipping all the sorted into the same lorry.

Yes, I remember taking it to the recycling bins at a local supermarket and it all had to be separated by colour!

SueDonim Tue 30-May-23 11:45:39

I expect it was visitors who threw all this waste around. www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-65745184

NotSpaghetti Tue 30-May-23 11:38:27

Come back paddyann!

Bella23 Tue 30-May-23 11:22:51

It does differ in England from county to county or district council. Visitors are appalled that we only get two plastic bags for household rubbish[rural area lots of foxes and rats around} there can be quite a mess on the grass verges if the jackdaws have been out and we are not allowed to put vegetables peelings etc. in the garden waste bin.
Our glass is curbside fortnightly and a depository in the village.
I must say when we lived in an East Coast City, we had to take our glass to a depository a few miles away and sort it into colours until ....the collection van was caught tipping all the sorted into the same lorry.confused. My DDs who live south have completely different systems.

Aveline Tue 30-May-23 11:15:24

Another reason for joined up thinking by grown up governments. No chance in Scotland. 😑

Callistemon21 Tue 30-May-23 11:02:50

Glorianny

I don't understand why Scotland can't do this on their own. Maybe the government thinks there will be gangs of Scots staging raids over the border into England to grab all the glass from our recycling bins. Or northerners will take their bottles North.
On the other hand it could just be Westminster messing about as usual.

I don't understand why Scotland can't do this on their own
Me neither. I would have thought it was a devolved issue.

Gangs of Marauding Scots coming over the border stealing our empties 😁
They can have them, saves us lugging them to the front kerb on recycling day!

Glorianny Tue 30-May-23 10:57:46

I don't understand why Scotland can't do this on their own. Maybe the government thinks there will be gangs of Scots staging raids over the border into England to grab all the glass from our recycling bins. Or northerners will take their bottles North.
On the other hand it could just be Westminster messing about as usual.

Maggiemaybe Tue 30-May-23 10:55:40

Callistemon21

We used to have a bottle deposit scheme here in the UK when I was a child, I remember!

We did. I can’t remember how much we got back, though I recall carrying a pop bottle all the way to the pictures to get money off at the Saturday matinees. smile

We have our milk delivered in glass bottles too, as do our DC in different areas. It’s not at all “niche”. And ours is from a local farm and no dearer than from the supermarket.

nanna8 Tue 30-May-23 10:53:57

Anyone remember
R. Wright’s ginger beer
Goes off pop
With a penny on the bottle
When you take it to the shop!
A skipping game in the 1950s, nothing new about recycling bottles !

Visgir1 Tue 30-May-23 10:48:10

Grammaretto

Some of you will be old enough to remember when we put out our empty glass milk bottles.

Milk was delivered daily in glass bottles.

We don't seem to be returning to those days except in niche areas but what a huge saving it would be for the planet if we could refill our milk/ wine/ beer bottles.

Like they do in other countries.hmm

I still have a Milkman/person my milk is in Bottles, also Yoghurt.
Quick wash put out collected. Costs a bit more but I would rather do that, than all the plastic.

Callistemon21 Tue 30-May-23 10:39:02

We used to have a bottle deposit scheme here in the UK when I was a child, I remember!

Elegran Tue 30-May-23 10:38:22

GrannyGravy13

I am in the S E England and we have had a doorstep recycling bi weekly glass collection for well over twenty years.

So have we in my part of Scotland, GG13, and in a lot of other parts - I can't answer for all regions. The purpose of this latest project in Scotland is to discourage the habit of some people (I hope they are visitors who don't know any better) of "chucking drinks containers including even bottles, and takeaway containers out of car windows , as Seadragon says. If they have paid 20p for the container they are eating and drinking out of, perhaps they will keep it until they can get back that 20p.

England and Wales were supposed to be organising the same thing, including the administration of the financial side, but are two years behind - so Scotland, whose scenic roads get spoilt by litter flung from tourists's cars, must apparently wait to completely implement the scheme until E & W catch up.

I too remember the days when children and young people could supplement their pocket money by taking back lemonade bottles and jamjars for their neighbours and collecting the small deposit. Some of them became what seemed, to the rest of us, to be comparatively affluent from their "round".

Callistemon21 Tue 30-May-23 10:37:59

AGAA4

Our recycling is collected every week here in Wales. Labour government?

Our glass is collected fortnightly in this County as is garden waste. Garden waste costs quite a lot extra to be collected; we pay annually for one or more bins.

Other waste/recycling is collected weekly.

growstuff Tue 30-May-23 10:35:06

The first time I went to Germany, 55(?) years ago, I was impressed by the recycling. They had bins for everything in the days when everybody in the UK just dumped everything in the same bin.

Most impressive was the bottle deposit scheme. It was only a small amount, but most people did keep their bottles and took them back for a refund. Others obviously couldn't be bothered, so binned their bottles. Children went through the bins looking for bottles and earned themselves a bit of extra pocket money.

If Germany could do it all those years ago, why has it taken the UK (not just Scotland) so long to catch up?

henetha Tue 30-May-23 10:29:17

That's right, Callistemon21. We were quite fearful at first, but it's second nature now. smile Our council has quite a good record for recycling.

Grammaretto Tue 30-May-23 10:29:09

Some of you will be old enough to remember when we put out our empty glass milk bottles.

Milk was delivered daily in glass bottles.

We don't seem to be returning to those days except in niche areas but what a huge saving it would be for the planet if we could refill our milk/ wine/ beer bottles.

Like they do in other countries.hmm

AGAA4 Tue 30-May-23 10:24:30

Our recycling is collected every week here in Wales. Labour government?

Callistemon21 Tue 30-May-23 10:23:19

henetha

In south Devon we have been collecting glass, also plastic, cardboard, paper, old cartridges/batteries, rags, cans, aerosols, food waste, etc. for ages. Years for most of it, including glass.

I remember when it all began.
There were strict rules and huge fines for people who didn't separate their rubbish and my poor old MIL got herself in a real tizz, at one time wondering if she might get arrested for putting the wrong thing in her bin.

Callistemon21 Tue 30-May-23 10:21:10

Casdon

Wales is very hot on recycling, and we already have the 3rd highest recycling rate in the world, capturing 87.3% of glass bottles and jars through household collections, ours is taken weekly where I live.

We have been told that the returns scheme will operate here from 2025, and that is to be a UK wide scheme, so you can return a bottle anywhere. I don’t understand why Scotland couldn’t go earlier, unless the government envisage us all driving up there with cars full of bottles to get the refunds in the meantime?

unless the government envisage us all driving up there with cars full of bottles to get the refunds in the meantime?

It would cost us more in fuel!
Although we could go on holiday to Bonnie Scotland with a bootful of empties 😁

henetha Tue 30-May-23 10:19:59

In south Devon we have been collecting glass, also plastic, cardboard, paper, old cartridges/batteries, rags, cans, aerosols, food waste, etc. for ages. Years for most of it, including glass.

Callistemon21 Tue 30-May-23 10:18:12

seadragon

I understood paddyann54's post perfectly on first reading but perhaps only because I was equally incensed by the UK govt's petty restriction which feel like "just showing who's boss". However, I am also incensed by the slow progress Scotland has made nationally in the sector having found an excellent recycling scheme in Comrie and Perthshire 20 years ago which extended to the self catering cottage we stayed in. Separating waste for recycling was made super easy and fun! Our 'recycling' in the far North even now is shipped further North...largely for dumping.... and the predilection for ?visitors of chucking drinks containers including even bottles, and takeaway containers out of car windows. Recently saw a heap of fag ends by the road side recently obviously chucked from a car ashtray...just yards from a bin.....and don't get me started on dog poo....

🤔 ?visitors chucking rubbish out of cars?

It's an assumption easily made, I suppose, as we sometimes think the same as we see our local AONB littered with fast food trays and pop bottles. angry
But it could be locals too.

As fast as some conscientiously clear up after themselves, other people just don't care

Callistemon21 Tue 30-May-23 10:10:08

I understood paddyann54's post perfectly on first reading but perhaps only because I was equally incensed by the UK govt's petty restriction which feel like "just showing who's boss"

Most of us in the RUK wouldn't have realised.

Maggiemaybe Tue 30-May-23 08:32:03

In my part of Yorkshire we have a weekly collection of paper, card, glass, plastics, tins including aerosols, foil, food waste, small electrical items, old shoes and textiles. In separate boxes and bags. Laudable and easy enough when you get used to what goes where. But fun? Never! grin

GrannyGravy13 Tue 30-May-23 08:19:35

I am in the S E England and we have had a doorstep recycling bi weekly glass collection for well over twenty years.