Gransnet forums

News & politics

Prince Harry v The Mirror in phone hacking case

(576 Posts)
lemsip Sun 04-Jun-23 08:17:31

When Prince Harry gives evidence in the Mirror phone-hacking trial on Tuesday, he will become the first senior royal to be cross-examined in court since the 19th century. Based on what happened earlier in the trial, it is unlikely the prince will enjoy the experience.

maddyone Sun 04-Jun-23 13:45:28

I agree with you Jabberwok. He has revealed fairly intimate details of his family life, and mundane and boring details of his family life, and details that could potentially put himself and his family at risk (how many kills he got in Afghanistan, if it’s even true!) I wonder why he didn’t think of this possible risk when he revealed these details, whilst simultaneously demanding IPP status and police protection when in Britain.

JaneJudge Sun 04-Jun-23 13:46:56

My home phone was hacked a couple of decades ago. I wouldn't wish it on anyone. It is a horrible experience

Anniebach Sun 04-Jun-23 13:48:39

Did the world want to know The Prince of Wales had been
been circumcised !

Smileless2012 Sun 04-Jun-23 14:09:21

I think that's the worse thing he came out with Annie, such a very personal thing to publicise.

Smileless2012 Sun 04-Jun-23 14:15:36

Obtaining information of a private nature by 'phone hacking is despicable as is the sharing of something immensely private and personal, when it's shared by someone who was thought to be trustworthy.

Siope Sun 04-Jun-23 14:39:22

Jaberwok

But the press weren't to know that Harry would in fact trash his own family and behave with calculated cruelty to his once much loved dying grandparents, (phoney racism among other things) cause his father deep sorrow, humiliate and trash the privacy of his own brother and SIL and so on. I doubt his mother would be proud of him. Disgusting man ,I hope he loses big time and runs back to America with his tail between his legs and never comes near this country again.

Can you please clarify for me that you are saying it’s okay to (allegedly) commit criminal acts against people you disapprove of?

Is there some kind of limit to that, or shall we just give up on any suggestion of equal before the law?

Jaberwok Sun 04-Jun-23 14:40:47

Harry has made millions of dollars at the expense of the RF, which he must do to support his lavish life style, and no doubt will try to replenish his coffers by more revelations. While I understand that his lack of any ability to make money honestly must be a handicap for him, to resort to tell all gossip and lies surely must be humiliating and tacky way to make money,especially for a Prince of the Realm. How does he look at himself in the mirror knowing the grief he's caused or is he completely insensitive even when two much loved relations are actually dying. His behaviour is quite beyond me! At least his mother for all her antics, never ever trashed the RF or was disrespectful to the late Queen and P.P. Neither has Prince Andrew or indeed the late D of Windsor again, for all their dubious antics.

Siope Sun 04-Jun-23 14:53:41

I gather you disapprove of him Jabetwok But what does any of that have to do with whether some of the British press broke the law?

Glorianny Sun 04-Jun-23 15:08:03

What it seems from this thread is that any mount of law breaking is permissible if you are royal, providing you don't dis your family and write a book about them. Hang on though-didn't someone called Charles do that? And someone called Diana. So just following in his parents' footsteps.

As for ignoring the illegality of the phone tapping and just taking the money like William did. I think that is despicable. If you are rich enough and powerful enough to take on the media you have a moral duty to do so. If you don't, you accept that it is OK to commit a crime, and you are effectively accepting the proceeds of that crime. Not a good look for a future king.

Jaberwok Sun 04-Jun-23 15:17:53

William will make an excellent King time come. As for Harry, I think I just despise him for the lowlife he has become. My guess is that this court case has more to do with making money than the moral high ground. Williams settlement all went to charity ironically including the Invictis games. Doubt much of Harry's settlement if he gets one will be going to the same causes.

lemsip Sun 04-Jun-23 15:24:30

Glorianny can't you just write what you want to say without dissing the 'thread' which you have then made yourself part of!

Anniebach Sun 04-Jun-23 15:26:53

Harry is acting out of moral duty 😂,

Glorianny Sun 04-Jun-23 15:34:00

lemsip

Glorianny can't you just write what you want to say without dissing the 'thread' which you have then made yourself part of!

No I can't if people post nonsense about law breaking and comments which approve of despicable things like phone hacking then I am going to challenge them.

Jaberwok Sun 04-Jun-23 15:54:37

No one has said they approve of phone hacking,what I have said is that after all this time I doubt Harry's motives for this court case are purely altruistic. Annie, surely you are not questioning Harry's moral duty??!! hmm.

Smileless2012 Sun 04-Jun-23 16:07:25

No one's said they approve of 'phone hacking Glorianny so you don't need to challenge it.

Callistemon21 Sun 04-Jun-23 16:15:27

Smileless2012

No one's said they approve of 'phone hacking Glorianny so you don't need to challenge it.

Phone hacking is wrong. No-one is disputing that, are they.

If you are rich enough and powerful enough to take on the media you have a moral duty to do so
Or perhaps maintain a dignified silence.
Harry is not powerful is he? Rich, yes.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

Anon

Anniebach Sun 04-Jun-23 16:16:15

Jaberwok Harry and moral duty do not sit well together

Callistemon21 Sun 04-Jun-23 16:18:02

Actually, I doubt many of us can remember what was hacked and printed in the media from Harry's phone because it has all been superseded by his own recent utterings.

Callistemon21 Sun 04-Jun-23 16:18:47

Glorianny

lemsip

No I can't if people post nonsense about law breaking and comments which approve of despicable things like phone hacking then I am going to challenge them.

Who has done that?

margauxbordeaux Sun 04-Jun-23 16:24:52

Totally against phone / mobile hacking or any other form of hacking .. This is ILLEGAL.

Hope that Harry is able to have success in this case.

2 wrongs never make a right ..

lemsip Sun 04-Jun-23 16:29:23

Harry is just one of very many celebs in the same case!
obviously because it'll be his turn in the witness box this week it will be interesting.

lemsip Sun 04-Jun-23 16:31:31

margauxbordeaux

Totally against phone / mobile hacking or any other form of hacking .. This is ILLEGAL.

Hope that Harry is able to have success in this case.

2 wrongs never make a right ..

well of course we are all against it, you are not alone in that! it's illegal, who didn't know that? that's why they are all in court!

Jaberwok Sun 04-Jun-23 16:33:08

Indeed they don't Annie. I do hope your new home is proving successful. I think it must be as you sound much happier, which is excellent. flowers

Aveline Sun 04-Jun-23 16:42:42

Whatever the outcome of this court case, his appearance in court, the questions asked and the response to his answers in the media etc will provide him with more stories to sell. Who put him up for the week or so, who his supporters are and whether or not contact was made with his family is all grist for another Oprah moment and Spare 2 the sequel. He can't lose.

margauxbordeaux Sun 04-Jun-23 16:50:15

Lemsip,

I really was not following the case however, I had read 2 or 3 articles in The Guardian.

So I am reading all the posts to better understand the entire scenario.