Gransnet forums

News & politics

Burnham - rejoin Europe in one shape or form?

(6 Posts)
Wyllow3 Wed 30-Sept-26 22:20:42

Yes, I agree, things are too much in confusion. I'm just glad we could be able to better trade with Europe our neighbours and in terms of how awful Trump is I want us to draw closer to our real allies.

I'm not bothered about their growth figures. I just want ourbusinessmen and women and farmers and so on to be able to trade well, to sell our stuff, to buy ore easily, to move things quicker, not to incur customs fees, nor all the red tape currently facing people, and promote less and less reliance on the USA.

Flippin2 Wed 30-Sept-26 22:20:20

No to rejoining

Whitewavemark2 Wed 30-Sept-26 22:01:28

We have a few options open. One being the Swiss agreement. The other being the Norwegian route. I think it unlikely st present that we will become fully paid up members again.

Aely Wed 30-Sept-26 22:00:03

Yes, the EU is different now. It's worse. If you think they are doing so much better than us, their GDP increase in 2025 was 2.4%, ours was 2.2% so little difference. France managed to grow by about 0.8% but that far exceeded the 0.2% growth in Germany.

Ireland accounted for roughly 40% of EU growth all on its own but that is because it is a hub for multi-national corporations, mainly American. Trump can change that at any time.

Oreo Wed 30-Sept-26 21:54:11

Other countries in the EU always went their own sweet way and didn’t toe the line, but the UK muggings always followed things to the letter of the law.
I don’t think we should return to the EU as having a referendum would be a disaster once again, it was way too divisive as it was.
Edging closer maybe in various ways but not re-joining.

Wyllow3 Wed 30-Sept-26 21:44:37

At last, some sanity. I think another referendum unlikely, but it was a possibility. But definitely move towards either a Customs union or the single market.

Brexit has proved pretty much a grim disaster: probably, if it had not been such a hard Brexit, and we had stayed decent trading partners, none of this would be necessary.

For nay sayers, it's worth remembering the EU is now very different. Many more countries are making independent national decisions and still staying in for trading and other purposes, ie on the way to returning in some ways to the original trading union it was.

Go Burnham go. this is a sensible move that will allow businesses and farmers to trade well with Europe and cut prices raised by read tape and customs troubles. We can review which trading standards make sense for us as a bid.