Gransnet forums

News & politics

Jeffrey Archer has died

(20 Posts)
Patsy70 Mon 05-Oct-26 22:01:57

Just heard that Jeffrey Archer has died unexpectedly at the age of 86. He was due to publish his new novel ‘Adam and Eve’.

Retroladytyping Mon 05-Oct-26 22:07:17

Just read this too. Very sudden too. Can't quite believe he was 86. RIP

MayBee70 Mon 05-Oct-26 22:13:31

Saw an interview with him the other day saying he’d retired from writing books..

Fallingstar Mon 05-Oct-26 22:18:10

MayBee70

Saw an interview with him the other day saying he’d retired from writing books..

I saw that too.
He looked in good health.
My thoughts are with his family, a sudden death is always so hard, the shock of it will take some getting over.

mokryna Mon 05-Oct-26 23:15:05

RIP

He was interviewed this last weekend on the radio.

denbylover Tue 06-Oct-26 01:06:55

I’ve read, I suspect, just about every book he’s published. Eagerly awaiting Adam & Eve, advertised as his last publication.

A tremendous loss firstly to his family, then to his legion of fans & the literary world in general. One of the best story-tellers ever I think.

MrsQuigley Tue 06-Oct-26 04:37:00

I was shocked to hear he has died. Was reading an interview with him only the other day. Have loved his books, I remember that my Mum did too. Looking forward to reading his last, Adam and Eve.
Rest In Peace.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 06-Oct-26 07:26:20

Is “fragrant Mary” still alive?

Kandinsky Tue 06-Oct-26 07:43:21

He certainly lived a colourful life.
I loved his books.

Calendargirl Tue 06-Oct-26 07:48:08

Whitewavemark2

Is “fragrant Mary” still alive?

Yes. They celebrated their 60th wedding anniversary earlier this year, apparently.

2 sons and 5 GC, I think.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 06-Oct-26 07:54:22

I am half watching the breakfast news (I have two GC here)

There was a female Labour peer, speaking about her unexpected close friendship with JA. She was visibly upset and gave a wonderful and warm account of him.

RIP 💐

Jaberwok Tue 06-Oct-26 08:12:58

Come on Whitewave 2, an unnecessary comment especially when you obviously knew the answer, as the announcement of JA's death made it clear.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 06-Oct-26 08:23:38

Nope I didn’t know the answer, and I believe it was a judge who described her thus, so in good company.

MrsQuigley Tue 06-Oct-26 08:29:12

Good to hear that GrannyGravy13. Get so disheartened by snarky comments from Lefties about any person on the right of centre it is encouraging to hear that some can see beyond the politics.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 06-Oct-26 08:39:32

The Labour Peer was Baroness Ayesha Hazarika

Grannybags Tue 06-Oct-26 09:15:00

So shocked to hear this news. He looked so well promoting his latest book just a few days ago

Only in a Jeffrey Archer book would the Author die on the day his book is released!

merlotgran Tue 06-Oct-26 09:38:21

RIP Jeffrey Archer.

Calendargirl Tue 06-Oct-26 09:39:15

Grannybags

So shocked to hear this news. He looked so well promoting his latest book just a few days ago

Only in a Jeffrey Archer book would the Author die on the day his book is released!

At the risk of sounding cynical, it will be good for sales!

StTrinians Tue 06-Oct-26 09:52:13

Grannybags. Yes, how sad. He won't live to see how much people enjoy that last book of his. What a shame. At least he didn't suffer. RIP.

Cossy Tue 06-Oct-26 10:16:01

Indeed. What a mad, bad character!

Cannot say I admired much about him as an MP or person, BUT I have read and enjoyed his books and I like his wife!

He had an interesting life!