Gransnet forums

News & politics

No good reason still to vote Tory

(19 Posts)
DamaskRose Tue 06-Oct-26 10:59:21

I voted Tory for several years in Scotland because I am firmly against independence and they were the only ones openly against. I also had a good councillor who then stood and won against the SNP. I always got a reply to any correspondence I sent him. In latter years (ie post Brexit) I have voted Labour, and will continue to do so especially now we have a new PM, because they have come out firmly against independence. The Tory party conference was, imho, a shambles reflecting the Tory party in general.

MrsQuigley Tue 06-Oct-26 10:49:25

I will vote Tory at the next election. My (Tory) MP is a good man, I have no reason to vote against him.
Broadly I do support the general Conservative way, the State is there to help the people who genuinely need help, those who are able to help themselves through life should make every effort to do so.
I support their take on net zero and the idea of a protection dome to keep our country safe. More needs to be spent on defence and the way to defend the nation has changed remarkably in recent years.
I do not see an alternative party for me to vote for. I think Burnham is shaping up to be a disaster already. One of his ideas is to allow drinking at football matches. To him it is unfair that rugby crowds can drink but football spectators cannot. He appears to be gullible and hell bent on taking us back to the awful 70s. Does anyone else miss Starmer?
One thing I think he has made a good decision about is saving jury trials.
I like Kemi Badenoch, given the chance she would make a good PM.

Cossy Tue 06-Oct-26 10:33:58

WW2 the minister, not you! grin

Cossy Tue 06-Oct-26 10:33:25

Whitewavemark2

Yesterday we had the uncomfortable spectacle of one shadow minister announcing that he wants yo get rid of the 20mph entirely.

Since the enforcement there has been a massive 34% drop in death and injury particularly amongst children overall and Edinburgh and Hill are reporting an overwhelming 64% decrease in child casualties.

What planet are these Tories living on to want to inflict this back onto children again?

Honestly, what a pathetic and stupid thing to say!

GrannyGravy13 Tue 06-Oct-26 10:33:11

I am in favour of their proposed iron dome

Dubai having thus saved 100’s of lives this year, Israel’s has literally been a lifesaver.

With the ever increasing threat from Putin and Iran our defence needs to be upgraded.

I for one am not happy to rely on America or others for our safety.

MT62 Tue 06-Oct-26 10:24:25

I won’t be voting for any of those said parties- roll on 2029! I’ll make up my mind then.

Luckygirl3 Tue 06-Oct-26 10:19:34

Whitewavemark2

Yesterday we had the uncomfortable spectacle of one shadow minister announcing that he wants yo get rid of the 20mph entirely.

Since the enforcement there has been a massive 34% drop in death and injury particularly amongst children overall and Edinburgh and Hill are reporting an overwhelming 64% decrease in child casualties.

What planet are these Tories living on to want to inflict this back onto children again?

It's freedom innit? ....
Freedom to feather one's own nest/follow one's own desires/ accumulate riches, regardless of the effect on others.
Who needs community and compassion?

Whitewavemark2 Tue 06-Oct-26 10:14:59

Yesterday we had the uncomfortable spectacle of one shadow minister announcing that he wants yo get rid of the 20mph entirely.

Since the enforcement there has been a massive 34% drop in death and injury particularly amongst children overall and Edinburgh and Hill are reporting an overwhelming 64% decrease in child casualties.

What planet are these Tories living on to want to inflict this back onto children again?

Cossy Tue 06-Oct-26 10:13:08

Casdon

They have a leadership issue. Keeping a lower profile for the time being until Reform burn themselves out would have seen a faster rise in the polls for the Tories in my opinion.

I agree and it’s so crucial to have strong and sensible opposition whoever is in power.

Margs Tue 06-Oct-26 10:08:37

Same old, same old........it's always jam tomorrow. (But our 'betters' are having caviar today.)

Cossy Tue 06-Oct-26 10:06:00

25Avalon

Not impressed by any party. Liebour, sorry Labour, tell lies, the Greens aren’t green anymore. None of them do what they were voted in for.

Honestly, do you really think jibes like that are in any way helpful?

Casdon Tue 06-Oct-26 10:04:54

They have a leadership issue. Keeping a lower profile for the time being until Reform burn themselves out would have seen a faster rise in the polls for the Tories in my opinion.

Fallingstar Tue 06-Oct-26 10:00:25

I have voted Tory in my time as well as LibDem and Labour. But cannot see anything promising about what the Tories are saying, tax cuts are the ‘jam with everything’ nonsense that we all know won’t work.

Fartooold Tue 06-Oct-26 09:59:08

Idiots 🤬

AGAA4 Tue 06-Oct-26 09:57:08

I was a Tory voter but certainly won't be voting for them with the unworkable ideas they have come up with.

25Avalon Tue 06-Oct-26 09:52:12

Not impressed by any party. Liebour, sorry Labour, tell lies, the Greens aren’t green anymore. None of them do what they were voted in for.

Luckygirl3 Tue 06-Oct-26 09:51:40

They are looking backwards not forwards.

Cossy Tue 06-Oct-26 09:50:39

How very foolish of them.

Tax cuts are the very last thing we need atm!

Whitewavemark2 Tue 06-Oct-26 09:46:07

I have been reading and watching the various speeches at the Tory conference.

Blimey what a poor show it all is. The voter totally rejected them at the last election, and I can see absolutely nothing that will bring them back, particularly the traditional Tory voter.

Tax cuts everywhere together with spending cuts.

The voter knows exactly what that will bring - another 10 miserable years resulting in zero growth, getting poorer and continuing to turn their back on our nearest neighbours.

What a wretched message they are giving.