Gransnet forums

News & politics

Police in Mr Burgess case sacked

(10 Posts)
Fallingstar Tue 06-Oct-26 19:35:15

MT62

I remember that. Truly disgraceful.
What was wrong with a couple of carers sorting it out if it was only a butter knife.
Mind you it’s all ‘elf n safety’ now.
I remember talking down an elderly bloke with dementia who assaulted another resident with one of those old chrome kettles, remember those with the long, sharp spout. The bloke ended up with stitches in his face.
We never called the police.

Am not sure why a carer didn’t ask a member of the family to come and try to calm their relative down before ringing the police. When my DH was in hospital after suffering a stroke the elderly gentleman in the opposite bed had dementia and suddenly kicked off, grabbing his dinner tray and threatening to hit one of the nurses, his daughter was immediately alerted and was there within half an hour and with the nursing staff managed to calm him down. He was a sweetheart the rest of the time, told everybody who cared to listen that we were all staying in a lovely hotel.

MT62 Tue 06-Oct-26 19:10:51

I remember that. Truly disgraceful.
What was wrong with a couple of carers sorting it out if it was only a butter knife.
Mind you it’s all ‘elf n safety’ now.
I remember talking down an elderly bloke with dementia who assaulted another resident with one of those old chrome kettles, remember those with the long, sharp spout. The bloke ended up with stitches in his face.
We never called the police.

rafichagran Tue 06-Oct-26 19:01:37

Correct desition.

Delila Tue 06-Oct-26 19:01:03

I find it very hard to understand how a jury could previously have found these two officers not guilty of assault occasioning actual bodily harm.

I’m very glad they’ve been sacked - they both deserve it.

TerriBull Tue 06-Oct-26 18:56:52

I thought it was awful. Yes the correct decision.

Fallingstar Tue 06-Oct-26 18:52:47

I can’t watch the video footage again, saw it once and felt sick to my stomach.
No attempt was made to subdue the vulnerable man by just calmly talking him down, they acted like brutes and the female officer later joked about it. The family must be hopping mad.

Oreo Tue 06-Oct-26 18:48:10

True gross misconduct, they deserved to be sacked from the force.

LemonJam Tue 06-Oct-26 18:46:49

Yes, the correct decision. Inappropriate use of force and excessive use of force is always unacceptable and always should be treated as gross misconduct.

The video footage at the time was awful.

petra Tue 06-Oct-26 18:41:41

It was awful, wasn’t it 😥
How did these 2 ever get into the service.

BlueBelle Tue 06-Oct-26 18:37:22

Mr Burgess was the elderly gentleman in a care home who was tasered and pepper sprayed by two police officers as he held an eating knife in his hand The force used was horribly excessive and thankfully both police officers have now been sacked
I believe this is the correct decision what do you think ?