Gransnet forums

News & politics

Climate change

(11 Posts)
paddyann Mon 19-Aug-19 00:59:03

Scotland is leading the way in the fight against climate change.We have increased the energy produced by wind and water and solar power and made enough last year to power all homes in Scotland and more.
In ONE year we have planted 22 MILLION trees to fight the advance of climate change .100 years ago only 5% of our land was given over to trees after clearances for building and farmland.Now we have recognised the importance of trees in many aspects including the reduction of flooding we have increased that to 19% .The Scottish government has stated its intention of increasing the rate of planting trees next year and year on year after .

The interview I saw was with a man who planted 2000 trees in just one day .Should ALL countries invest time money and effort into tree planting for the sake of the planet /

rosecarmel Mon 19-Aug-19 02:14:39

That's amazing!

MiniMoon Mon 19-Aug-19 09:36:22

Well done Scotland. Paddyann can you ask Nichola to go and shout at Boris?
We need more trees!

PamelaJ1 Mon 19-Aug-19 09:41:04

Of course.
I’ve just watched a piece on breakfast tv about sphagnum moss. It locks up carbon very efficiently and there is plan to replant the moors then harvest it to replace peat.
A friend planted thousands of trees on his land. He has lots of land and very rich.
We have 15 in our garden and a leyllandi hedge.(I think they count as trees!) If we all planted just one per household it would make a difference. We don’t have to wait for governments to act.
I know that a lot of people don’t have gardens but we’ve got room for a couple more. Perhaps a twinning scheme could be set up!

EllanVannin Mon 19-Aug-19 09:43:34

Well done. Trees are so very important to the eco-system for all sorts of reasons including the balance where we have extremes of weather.
Over the years I've always been upset to see the destruction and devastation of areas where trees had flourished as habitats for animals. It's been akin to someone coming along and flattening your home. An unnecessary and criminal act.

Jabberwok Mon 19-Aug-19 09:53:41

Someone needs to speak to the President of Brazil! His policy concerning the Amazon is a complete nightmare!

Callistemon Mon 19-Aug-19 10:31:40

Yes, he needs to be taken to task, Jabberwok; do they not have enough agricultural land already?

We do need more and more trees, they are one of the answers to the problems we face. However, the amount of CO2 they can hold increases, obviously, as they grow so it will be a good few years before they are truly effective.

How did that man plant 2,000 in one day? shock
I have seen trees being planted by machine but even mechanically, 2,000 is a huge number!

Callistemon Mon 19-Aug-19 10:37:11

I see that a Canadian man planted 15, 170 trees in 24 hours back in 2001, so it is possible. Impressive.

More recently:
www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jul/29/ethiopia-plants-250m-trees-in-a-day-to-help-tackle-climate-crisis

Callistemon Mon 19-Aug-19 10:40:11

Guardian headline is wrong - in fact Ethiopia planted 350 million trees in one day!

SueDonim Mon 19-Aug-19 12:35:34

There are plans afoot to restore the Flow Country which ironically involves removing trees, but the end results make it worthwhile. We used to live in the Flow Country, which is one of the worlds last wild places. It's a very special place.

Planting trees has to be done carefully. Monocultural forests are not that beneficial as the trees tend to be stressed and of little benefit to wild life.

If you want to learn more about trees I really recommend The Hidden Life of Trees. You'll discover some astonishing facts! wordery.com/the-hidden-life-of-trees-peter-wohlleben-9780008218430?currency=GBP>rck=cWFCTG10THo0Q3NrRFBCazVEKy9FMjR0cVgxRlR2d1IzY1BoVXB2WVNYT0VMTjBlQTVmUDVOeHQwVSswaWY1Sy9zandpTWFYTDBIWTdvMjVYQ25qMnc9PQ&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhNrwh-uO5AIViLPtCh3WUAPwEAQYAyABEgLsR_D_BwE

Callistemon Mon 19-Aug-19 16:15:02

Thanks, SueDonim
Every type of natural landscape has its benefits for us and for wildlife. I think peatland is being restored in the Peak District too. Peatland contains so much carbon and retains water, moorland plants hold carbon too.