Gransnet forums

News & politics

Bonkers Boris and Bankers

(3 Posts)
Dinahmo Thu 02-Jul-20 18:50:52

I've just had an email about a petition from 38 Degrees. Apparently Johnson is refusing to say whether nurses will be getting a payrise and suggested that we clap for bankers. I can't believe this is true but if it is, then he must be going bonkers.

NB I've just made a snappy phrase a la Cummings!

lemongrove Thu 02-Jul-20 21:23:33

I should think any pay rises ( like tax rises) will be in the Autumn budget speech.
As for suggesting clapping for bankers.....check the source of that??

MaizieD Thu 02-Jul-20 22:24:12

He didn't quite say 'bankers'

Our innovators, our wealth creators, our capitalists and financiers – because, in the end, it is their willingness to take risks with their own money that will be crucial for our future success.”

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/boris-johnson-nhs-clap-bankers-coronavirus-a9593266.html

Talking a load of rubbish as usual. That lot won't be taking any risks with their own money. If they invest anything it'll be borrowed from a bank. And banks get their funds for lending from the central bank, the Bank of England. And the Bank of England 'money' actually belongs to the nation. It's 'our' money that will pay for it.

I can't recall pay rises for individual groups ever being announced in a Budget speech. The nearest might be the announcement of a %age cap on wage increases in the public sector. No doubt nurses pay rises will be negotiated through the unions as usual. At whatever the usual time of year is that they're negotiated.