Gransnet forums

News & politics

Rishi Sunak's winter economy plan

(14 Posts)
Ilovecheese Thu 24-Sep-20 13:13:35

I couldn't see this being discussed on another thread yet so maybe it deserves a thread of its own.
I think it is a good idea to subsidise part time work, as they are doing in Germany. people will retain their skills ready for when things get back to normal.
Another thing to consider, I think, is that the so called "commuter economy" may never get back entirely to how it was before. I would like to see some system of re training grants targeted at the people who were working in places like sandwich shops in city centres.

Riverwalk Thu 24-Sep-20 13:42:11

Great to see a Tory government adopting Keynesian economics!

suziewoozie Thu 24-Sep-20 14:12:35

I’m listening to LBC and learning a lot about the detail. RS is doing a press conference at 3 I think which might also explain more. Lots of SE still not helped though.

Ilovecheese Thu 24-Sep-20 14:23:21

I think he needs to consider which jobs are likely to recover and which are not, and target the help as much as he can. For instance, the arts and theatre are very likely to recover eventually, we have a lot of artistic talent in our country which is much appreciated. I wonder if the Government could take over the upkeep of theatres and some other entertainment venues, ready for when they can again welcome large audiences. They could perhaps use the venues for socially distanced education for school children, students and adults.

kittylester Thu 24-Sep-20 14:40:07

I am disappointed that this dreadful time has not be used to rethink lots of things but I think that it is particularly silly to support the bars, cafes etc so much rather than try to encourage some sort of manufacturing industry by encouraging training and investment for them.

Blossoming Thu 24-Sep-20 14:53:48

kittylester that’s what I think too. I worked from home as a software developer for more than 20 years. I was forced into it through Illness and disability, but with the support of a wonderful employer and colleagues I was able to have a successful and productive career. I retired at the beginning of this year, just in time for lockdown!

paddyanne Thu 24-Sep-20 15:00:22

if he doesn't offer support to the bar staff etc then they'll all end up on Universal credit anyway ,might cost an awful lot more in the long run

kittylester Thu 24-Sep-20 15:43:51

Or offer retraining!

Ilovecheese Thu 24-Sep-20 15:54:17

Yes, retraining, our economy can't rely entirely on the hospitality industry. A lot of these bar jobs are young people's starter jobs, nothing wrong with that but they will need a more sustainable career path.
Surely they will be better occupied with learning new skills than just remaining on a lesser type of furlough.

paddyanne Thu 24-Sep-20 16:00:31

the problem with that is there is NO training available if they cant work how can they be trained ,certainly not in hands on stuff that requires face to face tuition .We've already seen a huge number of Uni students infected with covid .for now furlough or universal basic income is the way forward

Whitewavemark2 Thu 24-Sep-20 16:40:07

During the last severe recession in the USA and post war in the U.K., the governments of the day understood the importance to look to the future.

Re-training was seen as necessary to have a workforce fit for the future growth of the economy.

This must be done for a successful future.

Ilovecheese Thu 24-Sep-20 16:43:32

If we want to lead in the digital economy, we should be able to train people remotely, or sitting at a distance from each other in an unused theatre or cinema.
O.K. it wont be for everybody, but it is an idea.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 24-Sep-20 16:45:38

Ilovecheese

If we want to lead in the digital economy, we should be able to train people remotely, or sitting at a distance from each other in an unused theatre or cinema.
O.K. it wont be for everybody, but it is an idea.

Good wheeze!

MaizieD Thu 24-Sep-20 16:47:16

Riverwalk

Great to see a Tory government adopting Keynesian economics!

It won't be very Keynesian when they try to con us into thinking that it's all got to be paid back by increasing taxation!