Gransnet forums

News & politics

Is there still a place for the hand written letter?

(12 Posts)
Spangler Tue 27-Oct-20 10:41:22

Most of the press are reporting that Royal Mail are hinting at scrapping their Saturday deliveries.

I've hand written my response, just click on the letter.

Violettham Tue 27-Oct-20 10:54:04

Spangler Good for you. I still write letters to friends.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 27-Oct-20 10:55:45

I have a 92 year old Aunt who won’t read any emails. She insists on hand written notes at all times.

ginny Tue 27-Oct-20 11:01:43

I just love to receive a hand written letter.
I do use e-mails and wattsapp but I always hand write thank you notes for gifts and when I have been to a wedding, party or visit. Also personal letters are included in ‘real’ Christmas cards. Can’t stand those printed out sheets that are sent to all and sundry.

Vickysponge Tue 27-Oct-20 11:02:22

Spangler

Most of the press are reporting that Royal Mail are hinting at scrapping their Saturday deliveries.

I've hand written my response, just click on the letter.

Is that your normal handwriting?

M0nica Tue 27-Oct-20 11:03:01

Yes. Letters of Condolence.

Generally I avoid handwriting anything that someone else may need to read. I have mild dyspraxia and as a result my handwriting is appalling, no matter how I hard I try.

My dyspraxia wasn't diagnosed until I was in my 40s and my appalling handwriting made my schooldays hideous as teacher after teacher made me write in different ways to try to make my writing better, but without effect. Fortunately examiners managed to read it and understand what I was saying.

Puzzler61 Tue 27-Oct-20 11:05:01

Our family also send handwritten thank you notes.
Must admit I don’t write letters as everyone I correspond with is now on e mail.
I would miss my postman, he is cheery and he delivers parcels as well as mail.
Is it the end of Royal Mail as it has been I wonder?
Spangler , top marks for you. Did you learn Calligraphy?

travelsafar Tue 27-Oct-20 11:05:17

I still write to a very elderly lady in her 90's. I send her a letter roughly every couple of months. I like to try and picture her face when shs sees it on the doormatsmile I also have a very dear friend who i send letters to occasionally. We do tend to text or use whatsap too.

lemsip Tue 27-Oct-20 11:16:31

I use little notelet cards to send to my friends from time to time. They have pretty scenes of daisies and other flowers on the ones I buy. They are blank inside for you to write your note and come of course with an envelope!

lemongrove Tue 27-Oct-20 11:23:42

Same here travels and when I do write, I actually enjoy using some of the really lovely paper and envelopes I have had as gifts over the years.Nothing connects and is so personal as a hand written letter.

Spangler Tue 27-Oct-20 11:39:33

Vickysponge Tue 27-Oct-20 11:02:22
Spangler, Is that your normal handwriting?

Puzzler61 Tue 27-Oct-20 11:05:01
Spangler , top marks for you. Did you learn Calligraphy?

It was my good fortune, and others too, to be taught by a forward thinking English teacher. He called the style that he taught us, Italic Script, I've also heard it described as cursive script, and some call it copperplate.

He had us writing vee shapes along a horizontal line, then we would write the easier letters such as 'm' 'n' 'v' & 'w.' He progressed throughout the alphabet, we learned the style in just one term, from then on it was just a case of practice.

Whitewavemark2 what a wonderful lady your aunt is, I love that sort of stubbornness.
ginny, I agree, those round robin letters included in Christmas cards are so impersonal.
M0nica I sympathise with you. My sister, who is left handed, has always had difficulty getting the letters 'b' & 'd' the right way round, it didn't help at school when they tried to force her to write with her right hand.
Thank you to you all, so glad that the written word still has a place.
It wasn't that long ago when large organisations had a post room, who can ever forget the sackfuls of mail that the program "That's Life," received?

Vickysponge Tue 27-Oct-20 12:09:33

Ah thank you for the explanation Spangler. It must be wonderful to write like that all the time. Your English teacher sounds amazing. Fancy learning all that in just one term. I like email and WhatsApp ?