Gransnet forums

News & politics

No Budget purdah these days. This government does not believe in a parliamentary democracy, it seems.

(79 Posts)
PippaZ Mon 25-Oct-21 19:02:57

Briefing emails have been sent. Some were embargoed, so we have yet to be fed that tit-bit of information and then there are the daily announcements.

We know about the increase in National Insurance contributions to provide more money to the NHS and ... to the NHS and ... somewhere down the line, a bone will be thrown to Care. It will no doubt be re-announced.

They have hinted at a public sector pay increase - or will it be another badge? We are told to expect a new pay policy. Well, we need it! The freeze imposed last November, seems to have been one that does not "follow the market". Rishi sobbed said that it was "unfair" for public sector workers to get a pay rise while many of their private sector counterparts were being furloughed or losing their jobs and yet this government tells the business leaders that they must pay the rate needed to employ the Great British Worker. The usual "one rule for them and another for us" government view.

The old fashioned, rather Empire style economics of grind them down and let them starve was in full swing when they took the £20 back from the poorest. No doubt they will shout when, perhaps, they annouce they are giving it back. I do hope they are not so addicted to attacking the poorest that they keep it from them.

The increase to £9.50 for the minimum wage is a step toward the great declaration of £10 they want to make in the run-up to the next election. But you will still not be able to live on it without in-work benefits. So, how is it that this group of serial liars can call it the "living wage".

In the last few days, they have let out of the bag proposed policy on Transport, Families and Early Years and Education and Skills. And then there are briefings on Arts and Sports, Investment and Military Veterans.

Oh, for the return to parliamentary democracy.

lemongrove Mon 25-Oct-21 20:08:04

Dropped snippets of info and speculation about Budget Day have been happening for a long time, right back to the days of Tony Blair.
Or....( could it possibly be?) just another government bashing exercise.

Grany Mon 25-Oct-21 20:20:15

This government need a good bashing

Urmstongran Mon 25-Oct-21 20:20:39

Oh for the boring days back ... ‘a penny on a pint’ etc!

Urmstongran Mon 25-Oct-21 20:25:02

The Autumn Budget will be the second financial statement made by the Chancellor this year, following the Spring Budget on March 3. Mr Sunak will present his Budget to Parliament on Wednesday October 27.

ElderlyPerson Mon 25-Oct-21 20:59:09

Here is a link to what was said by Mr Speaker.

news.sky.com/story/budget-2021-furious-speaker-sir-lindsay-hoyle-suggests-ministers-should-resign-over-raft-of-announcements-before-rishi-sunaks-address-to-mps-12444553

PippaZ Mon 25-Oct-21 21:01:05

Exactly Urmstongran - it's on Wednesday and it's to parliament. So why all the leaks and skirting the parliamentary purdah.

And why the personal attacks - bashing is a very derogatory word - when all I am asking for is a return of parliamentary democracy. A parliamentary democracy which no one, at any point, every, has voted to change.

Lincslass Mon 25-Oct-21 21:04:15

How can we shame Employers into paying decent wages, so that people don’t have to claim benefits. Something quite wrong here. Of course if you are a single man on low wages, or woman, you get no help whatsoever.

PippaZ Mon 25-Oct-21 21:25:21

Sadly, Linslass, for all the leaks, which most commentators believe is entirely for electioneering, we will not actually know the significance of them until we hear the full details on Wednesday.

There is a good programme on Sky at the moment and the "audience" has just asked if the limiting of the triple lock is a betrayal of pensioners. You have to ask who, other than the extreme Johnson fans, believe it isn't.

Grany Mon 25-Oct-21 21:46:48

What Tory government has put us through in last 11 years with austerity what they are offering so far is trivial Since 2010 100 billion has been taken from local councils.

They won't give what is actually needed.

Take the climate emergency they won't do anything.

Urmstongran Mon 25-Oct-21 21:50:38

I think instead of raising taxes, Conservatives should be in the business of cutting public sector waste. Start by sacking anyone whose job title includes any of the following words - equality, sustainability, net zero, diversity, inclusivity, (not an exhaustive list).

Scones Mon 25-Oct-21 22:04:03

It's an idea Urnmstongran. So then we could have an unequal, unsustainable, emissions producing public sector full of people who are all exactly the same.

Doesn't really sound like a great place to work, a good example to society or a crucible of innovation and effectiveness.

Or we could just treat people fairly, look after the environment and billionaires could pay their tax.

Fadingrose Mon 25-Oct-21 22:14:11

Urmstongran, do you object to equality, sustainability, net zero, diversity and inclusivity?
With regard to paying taxes, there were thirty millionaires who challenged the government to tax them fairly and not to let lower income families bear the brunt
Sadly the government weren't interested in what they had to say

Lincslass Mon 25-Oct-21 22:18:39

I have got to the stage where I would believe in Santa Claus, rather than any MP, which ever side they bed down on.

NotTooOld Mon 25-Oct-21 22:33:56

Back, to the original post though, it is wrong that we hear all this stuff in advance, I was just thinking that the other day. Who are these leakers? I think we should be told.

PippaZ Mon 25-Oct-21 22:38:43

The Sky programme I mentioned was called the "Great Debate". They have an audience panel and some "experts" from different areas. One from business, an economist (who was refreshingly honest imo) and a politician.

Many of the experts seemed to point to the 11 years of austerity. One, if my memory serves me right, said that we had not had this hiatus in growth (as over the last decade) for 200 years.

Although those representing business were worried about the rise in minimum income there was some talk of the need for productivity.

In my opinion, if the government truly believes, as Johnson has said, in both a high wage economy and the "market place" they would put the minimum income at a level people could live on. They would then support businesses with grants and loans. Nobody should need in-work benefits. If they do our economy is exploiting them. When we are out our glass of wine should not cost less because someone is not paid enough to live on.

Beating up the low income part of the population, as they have over the last 11 years, has been destroying our steady growth and threatens our future.

PippaZ Mon 25-Oct-21 22:59:33

There is no public sector waste left to cut Urmstongran. There may have been in the past, but not now. We have to decide what we want; then we must be prepared to pay for it. It is a simple choice. You cannot have a Health Service as good as those on the continent and pay American style taxes for it. If you believe that those things you want to be run by the state can be run on a shoestring but still be at the level many complain about if they don't get - perhaps you would tell us how.

PippaZ Mon 25-Oct-21 23:02:27

NotTooOld

Back, to the original post though, it is wrong that we hear all this stuff in advance, I was just thinking that the other day. Who are these leakers? I think we should be told.

It is NotTooOld and those people leaking should, as the speaker said, resign. But we do not have anyone who takes responsibility in this government, it seems.

growstuff Tue 26-Oct-21 06:19:22

Pippa Some people are going to continue to need in-work benefits while rents remain so high. People would need to earn the current median income to be able to afford even basic accommodation. That means increasing the wages of half the population while maintaining a differential for more highly qualified jobs, which just isn't realistic. Even if everybody were to become more highly skilled/qualified, there wouldn't be the jobs for them. Somebody still has to do the unskilled work. Housing is the big sticking point for the lowest paid. The idea that the UK can become a high wage economy for everybody is wishful thinking.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 26-Oct-21 06:39:54

What I would like to see is less inequality in earnings, fairer taxes that contribute towards a comprehensive welfare state and high quality education.

All of that is politically possible, but not with this government.

growstuff Tue 26-Oct-21 06:57:17

Whitewavemark2

What I would like to see is less inequality in earnings, fairer taxes that contribute towards a comprehensive welfare state and high quality education.

I would like to see people being able to earn more money than they can by inheriting and investing it (especially in property). There need to be more incentives for people to invest in SMEs. Producing more of the technology needed for a greener economy would be the perfect opportunity to do that.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 26-Oct-21 07:23:36

That can be done through fairer taxes.

rosie1959 Tue 26-Oct-21 07:29:51

Whitewavemark2

That can be done through fairer taxes.

What do you think should be done to make taxes fairer and what changes could be made

PippaZ Tue 26-Oct-21 08:46:22

growstuff

Pippa Some people are going to continue to need in-work benefits while rents remain so high. People would need to earn the current median income to be able to afford even basic accommodation. That means increasing the wages of half the population while maintaining a differential for more highly qualified jobs, which just isn't realistic. Even if everybody were to become more highly skilled/qualified, there wouldn't be the jobs for them. Somebody still has to do the unskilled work. Housing is the big sticking point for the lowest paid. The idea that the UK can become a high wage economy for everybody is wishful thinking.

I was trying not to take the thread away from the unparliamentary behaviour of this government growstuff.

If I had put it in full, what I believe is that the minimum wage should be a wage you can live on without benefits with two acceptions, the first being for housing. That probably means a real push to provide social housing for many more people or you will continue to pay private landlords increasingly for poor and inadequate housing, simply because of the current housing stock.

The other area is childcare. which I believe should be free to all - at the point of need - from zero to three. Followed by pre-school until seven (but that really is a partly different argument).

Both of the areas that come outside the possibility - at this time - of being covered by the minimum wage have been reported by bodies I trust as being outside the capability of the minimum wage being a "living" wage.

PippaZ Tue 26-Oct-21 08:55:57

growstuff

Whitewavemark2

I would like to see people being able to earn more money than they can by inheriting and investing it (especially in property). There need to be more incentives for people to invest in SMEs. Producing more of the technology needed for a greener economy would be the perfect opportunity to do that.

Your point here is something I agree with too. Interestingly there seems to be more conversation breaking through about paying tax on income from non-work/salaried areas, added to salaried/work income and taxing it all on a continuing and progressive scale.

It's not what I would call a tsunami of comments and conversation yet. However, the waves of comments are getting bigger and discussed more.

We have the largest equality gap in centuries. Something must be done, but I doubt it would be this government that would choose to do it.