Gransnet forums

News & politics

The policing bill currently going through parliament is becoming more draconian.

(12 Posts)
MaizieD Thu 25-Nov-21 10:22:16

While the country is angsting over a few thousand immigrants Priti Patel has been adding more amendments to the policing bill currently in the Lords.
I can only hope that the Lords throw them out.

inews.co.uk/opinion/priti-patel-anti-protest-powers-stuffed-policing-bill-1316830?ito=twitter_share_article-top

(Need to register to read I'm afraid. But it's free)

Whitewavemark2 Thu 25-Nov-21 10:25:48

I watched a bit of it last night. Authoritarian state. No question.

Maremia Sun 28-Nov-21 21:25:44

I see what you mean about lack of attention!

paddyann54 Sun 28-Nov-21 21:53:10

This is Priti Patel who has taken over £1.1 MILLION in expenses over 10 years ....thats on top of her salary remember .I do hope someone .....anyone thinks she's value for money .As far as I can see she has made a complete mess of everything she's touched .The Tory way... fail and make a fortune !!

Maudi Mon 29-Nov-21 08:55:09

Patel then appears to take direct aim at the Insulate Britain protests. Amendment 319C criminalises “wilful obstruction of a highway”. Amendment 319D criminalises the obstruction of “major transport works”, including roads, rail lines or airport runways. Amendment 319A creates an offence of “locking on”, or carrying equipment which might facilitate it. It targets anyone who attaches themselves to “a person, to an object or to land”. These all come with a potential 51 week prison sentence. In fact, this penalty is plastered all over the legislation.(copied from your link)

I agree with the Policing Bill hope it goes through unhindered.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 29-Nov-21 09:47:20

Maudi

Patel then appears to take direct aim at the Insulate Britain protests. Amendment 319C criminalises “wilful obstruction of a highway”. Amendment 319D criminalises the obstruction of “major transport works”, including roads, rail lines or airport runways. Amendment 319A creates an offence of “locking on”, or carrying equipment which might facilitate it. It targets anyone who attaches themselves to “a person, to an object or to land”. These all come with a potential 51 week prison sentence. In fact, this penalty is plastered all over the legislation.(copied from your link)

I agree with the Policing Bill hope it goes through unhindered.

Most protest marches obstruct the highway.

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 29-Nov-21 09:50:50

The actions Maudi mentions should be punished. I’m in full agreement.

Robin38 Mon 29-Nov-21 09:57:23

Germanshepherdsmum

The actions Maudi mentions should be punished. I’m in full agreement.

Completely agree. Hope it goes through.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 29-Nov-21 10:05:36

Is anyone reading this,?

OUR CURRENT LAWS CAN DEAL WITH EVERYTHING THAT YOU FIND OFFENSIVE.

Why the need for Patel’s bill?

eazybee Mon 29-Nov-21 10:09:40

25,000 is not a 'few thousand'
The amendments targeted at protesters sound like good common sense.

MaizieD Mon 29-Nov-21 10:09:44

Of course protesting about making the planet uninhabitable for humans should be severely punished. hmm

Lawns can be regrown, Gsm. You fill in the hole and reseed it. Within a year or two it will be as good as new.

But a wildflower meadow sounds a much better alternative. It could even still have the crocuses in it...

MaizieD Mon 29-Nov-21 10:16:25

Oh dear, threads got muddled...