Gransnet forums

News & politics

Operation Raleigh Scandal

(12 Posts)
annodomini Thu 26-May-22 16:50:43

My grandson,who was due to go to Nepal this summer to work on development projects under the auspices of Raleigh International, appeared on the lunchtime news on BBC South today to let the world know about the dreadful behaviour of Raleigh International. In his own words:

"As of 19/15/22, Raleigh International declared insolvency, which means that my Nepal trip has been cancelled. This comes 3 days after I sent the charity £2,590. Without any prior warning, the fundraising is potentially being used to pay off Raleigh’s Creditors, and I have no control over whether or not I get the funds back. This is devastating for me and all the other volunteers, collectively we have lost hundreds of thousands of pounds due to the collapse."

There must be other grans among us whose GC have been affected by this appalling betrayal of hundreds of teenagers looking to spend part of their gap year doing challenging tasks in interesting places. Not only has my GS lost money to RI, but he had already paid his air fare to Nepal. How will he recoup that? I'm going to ask my MP to raise this in the House. The media should be making a fuss but other matters have consumed them in the past week. angry

ixion Thu 26-May-22 16:57:53

I'm shocked and very sorry annodomini to read this.
It was a scheme always regarded in high esteem when my children were looking at gap years.
I do hope there is a solution for your grandson and others in the same situation.
Keep us posted!

Callistemon21 Thu 26-May-22 17:02:17

I am so sorry to hear that annodomini

It always was an excellent organisation.

BlueBelle Thu 26-May-22 17:17:46

That’s awful I do feel sorry for our young people they are often treated appallingly
I hope he hugest his money back

Callistemon21 Thu 26-May-22 17:21:30

This comes 3 days after I sent the charity £2,590.

They must have known it would happen and it's immoral to have accepted his money.

Aveline Thu 26-May-22 17:26:52

How awful. That's rotten.
My DGS planned to do an Operation Raleigh/Raleigh International project but decided to get straight to work. I'm glad he did.
I hope your MP can do something.

Smileless2012 Thu 26-May-22 17:27:18

It should be a criminal offence to take money when it's known that the business or charity has become insolvent.

I'm so sorry annodomini and hope that your MP does raise this.

BlueBelle Thu 26-May-22 17:49:57

Gets sorry

sodapop Thu 26-May-22 18:03:19

Callistemon21

^This comes 3 days after I sent the charity £2,590^.

They must have known it would happen and it's immoral to have accepted his money.

So true Callistemon I'm sorry for your grandson annodomini shakes your faith in human nature.

Joane123 Thu 26-May-22 18:07:17

How dreadful. So sorry to read this.

Jaxjacky Thu 26-May-22 18:34:03

It’s on again now annodomini scandalous and immoral, I feel for your grandson and others.

Shandy57 Thu 26-May-22 18:39:46

Your poor grandson, I do hope the media take it up. I remember my angst when our holiday operator went bust, my husband and I only found out a few night's before we were due to leave - and I had paid for the tours in advance. Best wishes for some form of compensation for all concerned.