Gransnet forums

News & politics

UAE threatening Burnham over Man City

(6 Posts)
Fallingstar Sat 03-Oct-26 09:38:05

apple.news/AKDds4_4nTaavQjgecGf-yg

I don’t pretend to understand the machinations of premiership football but I do know that the owner of Man City is the brother of the UAE President.
So now that it has been discovered that this top drawer football team has been breaking rules/the law, the team faces punitive measures, as does any premiership team caught doing something they shouldn’t.
But now the UAE has been threatening Burnham with a withdrawal of funds aimed at developing a hi tech hub between Cambridge and Oxford called the UKs version of Silicone Valley.
If the UAE succeed in manipulating Burnham what does that mean for the PM and for premiership football??
Tbh the whole Man City debacle leaves a very bad taste in my mouth with regard to how the Premiership is run. This is not so much the beautiful game as a game sullied by big businesses, uber rich owners, and dirty tricks.

Maremia Sat 03-Oct-26 10:00:52

This will be interesting to watch.

Fallingstar Sat 03-Oct-26 10:07:12

I think it will be very tricky for Burnham to navigate but I cannot for minute see him kowtowing to the UAE president, and even if he did the whole premiership league would be up in arms, especially those teams punished for misdeeds done behind the scenes, without even mentioning how the press would crucify Burnham as would the voting public.

Fallingstar Sat 03-Oct-26 10:08:21

*premier league

Casdon Sat 03-Oct-26 10:08:33

I can’t see Burnham conceding goals in this case, he won’t allow bribery in football to go unpunished.

Smileless2012 Sat 03-Oct-26 10:09:49

I agree Casdon.