Gransnet forums

News & politics

Boots Chemist has been sold

(8 Posts)
FriedGreenTomatoes2 Wed 07-Oct-26 17:04:58

To a Canadian firm. It was owned by Walmart. The new company own Primark too.

FriedGreenTomatoes2 Wed 07-Oct-26 17:06:53

Weston’s have more connections to Ireland than, I think they live there and they started of a company called Pennys there that morphed into Primark where they made a shedload of money, although they employ a lot of people I didn’t think they pay much tax. To be fair Boots was becoming a rubbish shop under Walmart ownership.

FriedGreenTomatoes2 Wed 07-Oct-26 17:08:15

The business pages seem to think This is a great result for Boots and the staff. The Westons are serious business people not asset strippers - and it will be very interesting to see what they do with the acquisition.

FriedGreenTomatoes2 Wed 07-Oct-26 17:09:14

Apologies for posting several times like that.

Margs Wed 07-Oct-26 17:11:01

Another well-established retail icon hoovered up by another multi-national conglomerate.

Wonder how much debt will be loaded onto this once-respected name?

Casdon Wed 07-Oct-26 17:19:25

Boots was actually merged into Walgreens, a completely different company to Walmart, which runs drugstores in the US, and last year a private equity company called Sycamore Partnership took over, and separated the two companies back out.

I think it’s a good move for Boots to be purchased by the Westons, they used to own Selfridges, and also own the Shoppers Drug Mart chain in Canada. Fingers crossed it works out well for Boots - I hope they improve their clunky website as a result.

MaizieD Wed 07-Oct-26 17:24:06

Margs

Another well-established retail icon hoovered up by another multi-national conglomerate.

Wonder how much debt will be loaded onto this once-respected name?

As it already belonged to the US company, Walmart, I'm not altogether sure what you are complaining about. It is many years since it was British owned.

If this Canadian company isn't a private equity (asset stripper) based one then there may indeed be hope for improvement.

OTOH, UK shoppers are so addicted to buying on line, mostly from Amazon, that I fear that nothing can really rescue a High Street name such as Boots.

FriedGreenTomatoes2 Wed 07-Oct-26 21:06:55

At least in the short term this may be good news for staff working at Boots.