Gransnet forums

Chat

new to retirement

(11 Posts)
clover Thu 19-May-11 20:16:46

I retired last week. It all seems a little surreal at the moment. How have others adjusted to the new lifestyle ?

GrannyTunnocks Thu 19-May-11 22:50:06

You will just be feeling like you are on holiday. Do you have hobbies? It is good to have some routine in your life. I now wonder how I had time to work.

Mamie Fri 20-May-11 14:40:31

Be prepared for it to take time. I retired and left for a new life in France the same day (although we had owned our house here for some time). I had had a demanding job and my first long, quiet, cold French winter was a real shock. I think that it is one of these things that it is hard to prepare for and because everyone who is still working is really envious, you don't get a great deal of sympathy or understanding. It is a big life change, you are bound to get the "what am I for" feelings and you need lots of time to adjust. Five years on, I have got used to it and enjoy my days and the time I have to devote to OH, the garden, walking, my work on the local council, cooking, grandchildren etc. I think the thing I missed most was being part of a team and sharing the ups and downs of the job with colleagues and I enjoy forums as one way of replacing that. The thing that has given me real intellectual challenge has been the chance to keep improving my French and to have reached a level of fluency when I can swap languages almost without thinking about it. A long journey though; I hope it goes well for you.

heleena Fri 20-May-11 17:37:15

I retired nearly 4 years ago. Initially it is a bit strange - keep feeling like you have forgotten to do something important. An old friend invited me to go to Greece with her which I did. Eventually I thought I might take up an old interest and enrolled on a college course - fashion textiles. Last year my friend and I bought a car and drove down to Greece and back. This year I have opened a shop with another friend selling my crafts and other imported goods. I am now in the process of decorating my house - even bought myself a drill last month! Just take it as an adventure to explore whatever takes your fancysmile

milliej Fri 20-May-11 17:49:46

I haven't retired, I'm just doing different stuff smile and I haven't even got grandkids!! Manage to keep quite busy though....good luck with the new phase of life, enjoy!

justrolljanet Fri 20-May-11 20:27:42

I have been retired for a year now and am just beginning to enjoy it, it was really strange at first, I felt guilty if I had nothing to do ! Now I don't know how I had time to go to work, cooking, gardening, chickens, grandchild due very soon......loving it grin

nannan Tue 07-Jun-11 21:26:51

I retired 2 years ago and it took me about a year to get over feeling guilty because I was'nt getting up and rushing off to work.
Now I love it I do classes with ladies of my age we have long chats putting the world to rights. I also do a bit of volunteering(something I said I'd never do) and I am about to embark on decorating the whole house. In my time. Just enjoy your free time you will find your own way.

SoNanny Sat 11-Jun-11 15:18:25

I retired16 months ago but at the same time my (younger) husband left me for a younger model! I now live with my lovely daughter, son-in-law and baby grandson. We all help each other but I still feel a bit bereft, a bit off kilter. I don't complain as my family are very supportive and I also want to look on the positive side of life. I don't believe in regrets or recriminations but I would love to DO something. Perhaps classes as nanna has said, are the way to go.

Lovebeingagran Sat 11-Jun-11 23:24:30

I retired 2 years ago and although I had a job I loved, I love retirement even more! I like what Millej says that she is just doing different stuff. That is right. It is great to be able to see friends without time pressures, enjoy being a Grandma, go to places you have been promising yourself you will go to but never found the time. I also work in our childrens hospice charity shop which is great fun and a lovely way to be with people. My husband has joined U3A which he really enjoys. I also missed being part of a team but other things soon take that plce and I still keep up with a few colleagues that became close friends. Do enjoy your 'you time' and hopefully you will soon wonder how you found time to go to work!

shysal Sun 12-Jun-11 16:25:50

I initially reduced my working hours after the age of 60, so was able to join some walking groups. As I am shy and live alone, it gives me company without the need to make conversation if I don't feel like it. After a while I decided that I could easily fill my days if I fully retired, and have never regretted it. I wonder how I found time to go to work. I know you hear this all the time but it is definitely true for me.

Granieee Mon 27-Jun-11 20:20:37

Hello clover
How are you getting on?
Love and hugs