Gransnet forums

Chat

How do you define being a Snob!

(166 Posts)
ninnynanny Fri 06-Apr-12 09:17:58

Looking down on people who read a different newspaper to you.

susiecb Fri 06-Apr-12 09:24:11

Looking down on anyone!

BlueSky Fri 06-Apr-12 19:04:13

Hyacinth Bouquet! grin

granbunny Fri 06-Apr-12 19:49:31

hmm. the most gracious are those who do not differentiate. they would not be snobs.
so, someone who treats people differently, or thinks of people differently because of their backgrounds.

Annobel Fri 06-Apr-12 19:49:36

That just about sums it up, Blue!

jeni Fri 06-Apr-12 20:53:23

Anybody who despises another person for reasons of class, upbringing, education or money! I'm sure there are other categories!
In fact:- treat yor neighbour as yourself, unless they are antisocial!

Mishap Fri 06-Apr-12 21:10:51

Someone who chastises their cleaner for calling them by their first name - this has just happened to a friend of mine! Unbelievable!

jeni Fri 06-Apr-12 21:18:41

What? You are joking! Gary (gardner) and Kate (cleaner) (married couple, ) have always called me by my first name! We also have take outs together and BBQs where Gary does the cooking and I provide all!

granbunny Fri 06-Apr-12 21:58:07

chastises their cleaner for calling them by their first name? i make my colleagues address me as 'mrs *******'. i don't like too much informality!

Charlotta Fri 06-Apr-12 22:01:46

Does that mean that you can't expect others to use your surname and call you Mrs X? Not even a woman who cleans for you. You have right not to be called by your Christian name if you don't like it.

Annobel Fri 06-Apr-12 22:08:48

Respect cannot necessarily be measured by what people call you.

Anagram Fri 06-Apr-12 22:12:54

granbunny - you make your colleagues address you as 'mrs x'? You don't ask them then?
I agree that you should be able to choose how you are addressed, but come on, if they're colleagues, surely you could just express your preference?

jeni Fri 06-Apr-12 22:16:46

No ! But I know that G and K do respect me!
They say ( I have no side to me?)
This appears to be local sign of approval.
My GP father taught me to treat all people as equal!
I have tried to always follow his example !

BlueSky Fri 06-Apr-12 22:18:43

Charlotta then you should call your cleaner "Mrs X"!

Annika Fri 06-Apr-12 22:34:03

You have cleaners ?

Annobel Fri 06-Apr-12 22:35:16

My mature students called me by my forename as I did them. There's a book about adult ed called 'Teaching on Equal Terms'. One can't do that if there's some social distinction. Amusingly, when I taught O level English to RAF students, mostly NCOs, they had to be dissuaded from calling me ma'am, as if I were an officer. Informality finally triumphed. When I was teaching ESOL, my Iranian students couldn't quite stomach calling me by my forename and compromised with 'Mrs A'. Teaching teenagers, of course, was a very different matter. If you don't maintain a certain distance, there's going to be a breakdown in discipline.

jeni Fri 06-Apr-12 22:35:38

Yes! I'm too disabled to do it myself!

wotsamashedupjingl Fri 06-Apr-12 22:41:36

Quoting Charlotta - "not even a woman who cleans for you".

shock Lowest of the low is she? hmm

granbunny Fri 06-Apr-12 22:45:20

anagram, i don't ask, i just let it be known that i prefer...they find it mildly shocking but they go along with it...

Anagram Fri 06-Apr-12 22:47:57

You said 'I make...'

Greatnan Fri 06-Apr-12 22:48:50

I employed a cleaner as soon as I started teaching - we used forenames and she became a good friend.
I am not keen on being addressed by my forename by young people in call centres but if they ask 'May I call you X' I always say 'Yes', on the grounds that they have been polite enough to ask.
When I joined the Inland Revenue as a tax inspector, the rules were that all the people in lower grades had to call me Miss X, but when I went out to the pub with them it was forenames all round. However, I was not their line manager.

harrigran Fri 06-Apr-12 22:55:52

I prefer to be addressed as Mrs harri, as my mother used to say " familiarity breeds contempt " wink

granbunny Fri 06-Apr-12 22:57:13

well, its effective in that they do it. i appreciate that.
i first became conscious of, and particular about, this when the gas company wrote to me by my first name. i found that shocking. i don't think people should use my first name unless i know them.

Anagram Fri 06-Apr-12 23:00:26

Presumably you know your colleagues, though, granbunny?
Effective or not, it seems rather preremptory.
Each to their own, I suppose.

granbunny Fri 06-Apr-12 23:04:31

well, no, i don't know all my colleagues. i have over 200 colleagues in the workplace. working together does not mean they know me or i know them. i became deeply irritated by 22 year olds bouncing up to me and addressing me by a diminutive of my first name and expecting a warm response. i find that when they approach with 'mrs ****' i can smile and be welcoming. that works better for us all.