Gransnet forums

Chat

Morris Dancing.

(33 Posts)
crimson Thu 31-May-12 22:31:25

Is anyone else terribly fond of Morris Dancing? We did it at primary school and I've loved it ever since. Going to Southwell to see the dancing in the town on Saturday morning [part of their folk festival] and then hoping to see the Gate to Southwell procession later in June where they dance from the centre of Nottingham to Southwell. I love all these old festivities such as the Straw Bear one. Wondered if any gransnetters have any local traditional events worth going to.

Soupy Wed 06-Jun-12 20:34:09

Well Crimson and Crossstitchgill time for me to own up to also being a NW Morris dancer.

Gill, I'm not so far from you; at first I thought you might dance with Herts Holly!

DH also dances Cotswold and were off to dance at Wimborne Folk Festival this weekend.

Soupy Wed 06-Jun-12 20:34:47

we're.....tut, tut

Mishap Thu 07-Jun-12 13:56:52

Morris dancing is wonderful - lifts the spirits! Any live music and dance gets my vote!

crimson Thu 07-Jun-12 15:11:58

Have just discovered a new lot; Beltane Morris. Their music is beautiful [they have cd's out]. We went to see some Cotswold Morris at the Malt last night, but it's the Border Morris that I really like.

FlicketyB Fri 08-Jun-12 14:50:34

On the Bank Holiday Monday we went to Bampton in Oxfordshire. The whole of what was once Whit Monday is given to Morris Dancing, Three different local groups dance at different venues in the town to three separate timetables. They visit pubs and private houses. In the afternoon they are joined by visiting groups and it continues into the pubs in the evening. The whole town is 'en fete' with a craft fair and car boot type stalls outside the stall owners houses. We had a great time!

crossstitchgill Sat 09-Jun-12 10:52:19

We have been to Bampton for this event a couple of times. If you are not interested in the dancing, visiting the gardens is very enjoyable.

Grandmanorm Sat 09-Jun-12 19:30:19

I love Morris dancing and wish it traveled north of the border.