Gransnet forums

Chat

Today I have finally cleared out.....

(28 Posts)
Gally Mon 15-Apr-13 17:35:19

...some of J's things from his wardrobe. It has taken 14 months for me to steel myself to do it. I was in the bedroom and for some strange reason I felt compelled to start taking his lovely suits out - well most of them - and now I want to put them all back in again. I feel as if I am letting him down packing them all into bin bags for the charity shop. Everything is a memory - the suit he wore to DD3's wedding 4 years ago, the suit he bought in Paris, the old trousers he wore at weekends, his dinner suit (and the new bow tie which I had bought for his last Christmas) the T-shirt DD2 gave him from Sydney, and so it goes on. I kept burying my head in them all trying to retrieve his smell, but it had gone. Am I doing the right thing? I don't know. I don't need the space but he isn't coming back to use them, so why keep them......... sad

FlicketyB Tue 16-Apr-13 15:25:28

HUNTER flowers

Gally Tue 16-Apr-13 19:56:07

I have kept a few special things but the the lot I sorted out yesterday is ready to be picked up tomorrow. I washed and ironed some things which was very strange but I felt I was doing it for him confused There's another cupboard to do in the spare room but will leave that for now - thanks for all your advice. I think it has to be done in stages. I am a dreadful hoarder and I can hear him saying 'what on earth are you keeping that lot for....for heavens sake get rid of it!'