Gransnet forums

Chat

IMPORTANT! Please read. Missing Gransnet member in France

(412 Posts)
whenim64 Wed 30-Oct-13 10:28:11

Carol Sheridan, who we all know well as Greatnan, has gone missing in the French Alps, probably whilst out on one of her frequent mountain walks.

Carol lives in Habere Poche, in the Haute Savoie departemente about 20 miles from Lake Geneva. She is mad keen on hiking alone in the mountains, and will often take off in her car to find a remote mountain pass where she can walk and enjoy the amazing scenery.

On Saturday last, she was seen driving out of her car park by a neighbour, and she has not been sighted since. Police have made enquiries and advised she can be listed as a missing person this morning. Interpol, Wellington, New Zealand police and the French gendarmerie will cooperate in attempts to find Carol. (Her daughter lives in New Zealand)

Her daughter, Fiona Conyers, is coordinating a poster campaign, and local radio stations, the Mairie, people in the village, Commonwealth Office, British Embassy and several others have been notified. GNHQ have a copy of the poster and will try to assist.

Carol's mobile phone was active whilst she was missing, but is now showing 'call failed.' However, signals from it when it was active may help the search.
She drives a black Fiat Panda 4x4 reg: AZ 522 AP. she could be parked on a mountain pass, waiting for help to arrive if she has broken down. The walks she goes on are in very remote areas, but she does occasionally see other walkers and cyclists.

A group of Gransnetters has been busy over the last 36 hours, sharing information and supporting the family. A couple of fluent French speakers have emailed local radio stations, offered to speak to police and to give help with translations of information.

We are aware there are quite a few Gransnetters living in France and the Swiss borders. If you know of any walkers who will be in the French Alps today, please share this with them.

Finally, would you please avoid sending private pm message with your good wishes, as answering them will distract the involved Gransnet members from liaising and offering support to Carol's worried family. I know you lovely Gransnetters will understand, and we'll keep updating as we know more throughout the day.

Many thanks.

whenim64 Wed 30-Oct-13 11:27:13

I remember that list, Tegan. Those are the precautions that she (mainly) follows. She would often mention her walks on Facebook, but her laptop has been failing in the last few weeks, so at first we assumed she wasn't posting because it had stopped working. That's when we checked back with her daughter, and tried phoning her, without success. Good job she is a prolific Facebook poster and phones her family often - we soon noticed when it went quiet!

The family and her friends have pooled loads of ideas about where she might be and shared them with police.

Tegan Wed 30-Oct-13 11:31:23

I assume someone has checked her flat [for items that might be missing that could give a clue [eg did she take walking poles with her and such like].

whenim64 Wed 30-Oct-13 11:34:37

Yes, police visited yesterday morning.

whenim64 Wed 30-Oct-13 11:35:35

She keeps walking poles, water, mountain maps, blankets, tyre chains and suchlike in her car.

soop Wed 30-Oct-13 11:59:48

when PLEASE keep us updated.

whenim64 Wed 30-Oct-13 12:02:00

Yes, there's a few of us in contact with her daughter and grandson-in-law. They're a lovely family, and doing all they can. As soon as there is more news, no matter how small, we'll update.

whenim64 Wed 30-Oct-13 12:12:12

Missing Abroad Charity now involved. They have expertise, so can only be helpful.

whenim64 Wed 30-Oct-13 12:59:32

More local offices have been emailed. Tourist, hotels, cycling and walking groups. Surely, someone will come up with something today?

penguinpaperback Wed 30-Oct-13 13:04:56

I hope Greatnan, Carol, is found safe and sound and asap. I'm new here Greatnan but I can see from reading here you are a well loved member of Gransnet. x

gracesmum Wed 30-Oct-13 13:05:04

If you pray, do.

Sook Wed 30-Oct-13 13:07:31

I am shocked to the core. Let's hope we have some good news soon.

whenim64 Wed 30-Oct-13 13:20:55

Please circulate the poster that Lara has added at the start of this thread, if you know anyone with links in France and the Swiss borders.

Mamie Wed 30-Oct-13 13:30:55

Have posted on one of the French expat forums where she is a member.

Maniac Wed 30-Oct-13 13:34:58

Such shocking news.Been missing Greatnan's posting in last week and thinking of her.Do hope she is found safe and well.

whenim64 Wed 30-Oct-13 13:37:16

Thanks, Mamie we spent a lot of time last night, trying to dentify which ex-pat forum she was a member of, so this is good news.

MiceElf Wed 30-Oct-13 13:46:39

Is it worth asking GNHQ to put the poster on Mumsnet too as a sister orgaisation, there must be a significant number of their members in Haute Savoie.

Penstemmon Wed 30-Oct-13 14:02:25

Good idea Mice...

whenim64 Wed 30-Oct-13 14:04:08

Great idea MiceElf. Could you mention it to Lara, who is on duty today, please? My messages and email are going wild do I'll go and check if there's any news.

Grammar Wed 30-Oct-13 14:11:44

I have posted on the Chester Gransnet Local Twitter account and have shared the Embrace Age Facebook post on our Chester Gransnet Local Facebook page.
I've also sent a direct Facebook message to a mountaineering club friend who used to live about an hour's drive from Lake Geneva.

MiceElf Wed 30-Oct-13 14:15:13

Will do.

Penstemmon Wed 30-Oct-13 14:15:44

have emailed Lara!

Mamie Wed 30-Oct-13 14:20:05

Now on two of the major French Forums. Angloinfo for the Haute Savoie would be good too, if anyone is a member.

MiceElf Wed 30-Oct-13 14:22:51

So did I!

Let's hope it yields results.

whenim64 Wed 30-Oct-13 14:25:46

Smashing - I think we might have most of the Haute Savoie population covered by now!

Ariadne Wed 30-Oct-13 14:48:11

Excellent networking!