Gransnet forums

Chat

Hypothetical Question

(33 Posts)
ninathenana Sat 30-Aug-14 08:25:34

You are driving along with young children in the car. You come across an accident moments after it happened. One of the vehicles is driven by a friend of yours. Bearing in mind the accident is on a busy roundabout in town. Do you .....
a) drive on
b) leave your car in a safe place in your full view with children inside to go and check your friend.
c) take the children out of the car and go and check your friend.

Greenfinch Sat 30-Aug-14 15:27:27

Depends on the age of the children. My 7 year old twin grandchildren can easily unstrap themselves and even though they have child locks on the back doors they could get out through the front. They would most likely stay put if I told them to but you never quite know if they are not your children.It is very dangerous to leave children in a locked car .The DiL is only putting the needs of her children first .I would not call that self-centred.

thatbags Sat 30-Aug-14 15:32:53

Having them in sight is not leaving them but greenfinch's point about their possible naughtiness in climbing out in spite of being told to stay put for a few minutes is indeed a good one.

I never did leave my kids (or anyone else's) in a car in this sort of situation but I might well have and they would have been obedient.

thatbags Sat 30-Aug-14 15:33:54

Because they would have known from my tone of voice that it mattered, not because they were little goody goodies.

HollyDaze Sat 30-Aug-14 17:48:35

The DiL is only putting the needs of her children first .I would not call that self-centred.

Quite so. Given that in the OP it stated very clearly: 'Bearing in mind the accident is on a busy roundabout in town.' - that ups the anti in the risk stakes, not like it was a quiet road or country lane!

littleflo Sat 30-Aug-14 18:35:48

When looking after the GKs they are the priority. This was not a life of death situation so she should have driven on. I agree with the DiL

hildajenniJ Sat 30-Aug-14 19:26:07

I would take the children home and phone friend later. Knowing my Dgs's they would be out of the car in a flash, having Aspergers the younger one would be all over the fire engine like a rash. Better have the children safe!!!

goldengirl Sat 30-Aug-14 20:23:14

Going with the scenario as it is presented I would say 'a'. There is no way I would leave children in a car whether it be in a 'safe' place or not mainly because they are not my children and I am responsible for them. If the situation looked bad I would ring emergency services.