Gransnet forums

Chat

Dull Clothes in shops

(71 Posts)
nannynormal Thu 27-Oct-16 11:10:38

is it just me, or do others think that clothes in the shops in winter are boring. why do they have to be all black/grey/brown etc: I want to see bright colours to buy to cheer me up in the winter, not to see gloomy colours.

Craftycat Fri 28-Oct-16 12:56:44

I can't wear black, grey (or white) so this time of year always a nightmare- I need jewel colours although I am OK with brown. I'll check out TU but I agree most of the shops look very drab this year-now if only I had listened more in sewing classes at school - took a 'learn to love your sewing machine' course a couple of years ago & realised I hated it!Mind you have you SEEN the price of material recently?

Lilylilo Fri 28-Oct-16 13:03:49

Hardly any purple,mauve,violet or plum colours this year -what a shame as these look fantastic with solver/white/grey hair. Only consolation is plenty of denim !

Gaggi3 Fri 28-Oct-16 13:34:46

I bought a bright pink jacket from Uniqlo. It's padded, warm, light as a feather, and packs into a little bag. DH rarely comments but said he liked it and thought was a good colour for me.

MagicWriter2016 Fri 28-Oct-16 13:37:54

It is even worse if you are a plus size like me. I often see lovely colourful tops in more regular sizes, but when I look at the larger sizes they are predominantly black with ( if you are lucky ) a dash of colour. And I mean a very small dash. I know black is supposed to be more Slimming, but as we already usually feel bad enough about being large, we want clothes to cheer us up and make us feel a bit younger! And something 'pretty' would be nice!

handmadedogsweaters Fri 28-Oct-16 13:45:28

I have an online shop in which I sell hand knit dog jumpers and the most requested colour is grey. So even the dogs have to put up with dull colours. LOL

Rosieroe Fri 28-Oct-16 13:53:03

Is it any wonder that scarves are so popular?

nonnasusie Fri 28-Oct-16 15:19:39

It's the same here. It's October so all the women have put on their winter "uniform". Black quilted jackets, black boots and black trousers or jeans!! It was cold 1st thing this morning but by 11:00 it was 26c!! No colour in the shop windows here either!!

Yorkshiregel Fri 28-Oct-16 16:18:09

Get yourself a good quality fleece. I live in mine. Lots of colours to choose from and the bonus is that they are warm too.
I don't suit black and the only time I have ever been known to wear it is at funerals, unless requested not to.

shandi6570 Fri 28-Oct-16 16:39:46

I was told that manufacturers try to keep us in drab colours because cheap material looks better in a dark colour plus it's cheaper for them to sell masses of the same colour, rather than give us a choice. Sounds quite probable.

Pippa000 Fri 28-Oct-16 16:46:13

I have recently bought very colourful raincoat from Seasalt, they were the only place I could find one that was not grey, dark blue or brown. It is bad enough having to go out in the rain without looking dreary!!

DaphneBroon Fri 28-Oct-16 16:57:15

I bought a scarlet one from Joules with a blue and white striped lining, DD bought one in bright yellow. There's my fuchsia pink gilet too.
Honestly there are LOADS of bright colours around! Look at Joules, Woolovers, East, for starters!

janeainsworth Fri 28-Oct-16 17:12:11

Test

gulligranny Fri 28-Oct-16 17:14:35

I too am very depressed by the boring dull stuff, particularly in M&S. I'm short and round-ish and I don't want high-necked stuff or jackets that stop at what passes for my waist and I certainly don't want the horrible dreary colours. I did find a great rainjacket by Tigi in a local garden centre (do they actually sell plants any more?) in a vibrant turquoise and that lifts my mood when I wear it but there's not a lot of choice really.

janeainsworth Fri 28-Oct-16 17:15:04

Sorry about the last post. I had written something and it wouldn't 'go'
Anyway it was to say I bought a 'pelmet skirt' in Warehouse, black/cream/pink tweed with a gold thread running through.
I wore it the other night with an old v neck cashmere sweater & felt great in it.
Maybe reverting to my 60s roots but who caressmile

1974cookie Fri 28-Oct-16 17:50:44

I went clothes shopping yesterday and came back empty handed. The colours were so dreadfully drab, it was a depressing experience and reading the above posts, I now realise that I am not the only one to feel that the clothes industry is letting us down. We have bright colours in Spring/Summer clothing, why can we not have such bright colours for the seasons which can be dark and depressing. That is when our spirits needs a lift, and colour helps enormously. ?
Last winter I bought a winter coat by Precis which luckily was in a sale. I was drawn to it by the colour as it is the most gorgeous bright fuchsia pink colour with a matching fur collar. When I wear it I feel like a million dollars and several strangers have even commented about the beautiful colour. Lets have more bright colours?

Ramblingrose22 Fri 28-Oct-16 18:40:42

I couldn't agree more - the stuff in the usual high street shops and by mail order isn't stylish at all. M&S is probably the worst - and has been for years.
The problem is made worse by my being unable to wear wool next to my skin (apart from cashmere) and hating the heavy and cold feel of viscose and/or elastane next to my skin.
I have decided I'll have to to spend more in the hope that I'll find something I like.
Any recommendations for labels with stylish clothes would be welcomed.

DaphneBroon Fri 28-Oct-16 19:44:40

Just looking in the wrong places.
EAST, Woolovers and Joules respectively.

Nannanoo Fri 28-Oct-16 19:57:21

I find navy blue is the most useful dark colour. It's not very inspiring on it's own, but mates up beautifully with accessories in scarlet, fuchsia, teal, white, cream and yellow, not to mention nice, brightly patterned scarves. I agree about the dull frumpy stuff around at the moment, tho' - M&S is too grannyish even for an old gran like me!

NemosMum Fri 28-Oct-16 21:09:12

Totally agree about M&S stuff being deadly dull this year. Last winter was bad enough, but they've really hit bedrock with design! Bought a bra and jeggings this season, but that's it. Booooooo! sad

joannewton46 Sat 29-Oct-16 02:03:29

I went round the shops a couple of weeks ago to refresh my winter wardrobe. All black, navy and mud. Well at least I'll have lots more time to so other things now I know not to bother going shopping again till the Spring!

f77ms Sat 29-Oct-16 07:30:53

shysal love the cardigan ! where was it from ?

f77ms Sat 29-Oct-16 07:33:50

I bought a rain coat type of thing from Primark . One you can roll up and put in your bag , it is red with a London buses pattern , everyone admires it and it was £4 !

littleoldlady Sat 29-Oct-16 13:19:42

Have to agree with grandMattie , look in your super markets some jewels on the go colour wise .

Have to agree with grandMattie , look in your super markets some jewels on the go colour wise .