Gransnet forums

Chat

Is washing day sexist?

(53 Posts)
GrannyGalactica Mon 06-Mar-17 11:41:29

I write a newsletter for a local group and always start with a bit of cheerful, chatty nonsense to lighten the tone. Recently, I wrote that the blustery, showery weather was making washing day a challenge. To my surprise, I was advised that "washing day" is sexist and "drying the washing" would be more acceptable. Is it me?

BBbevan Mon 06-Mar-17 11:49:42

Sexist means allocating things depending on male or female. ' Washing day" has no sex. Therefore your challenger was wrong. If he/she assumed you meant that you always did the washing then they did not express themselves very well.

POGS Mon 06-Mar-17 11:55:08

Granny Galactica

"Some people will walk mikes over broken glass just say they feel hurt".

rosesarered Mon 06-Mar-17 11:59:55

grin agreed POGS
GrannyG hardly sexist....if they were to say anything it could be said that washing Day is a bit old fashioned ( we wash and dry as it suits us these days) but nothing else.

Christinefrance Mon 06-Mar-17 12:05:36

FFS have people nothing else to fill their tiny minds with.
I agree totally with POGS & Roses.
Definitely not you GrannyGalactica smile

GrannyGalactica Mon 06-Mar-17 12:05:51

It seems to me that some people spend so much effort on finding fault with the words that they miss the meaning. I like the quotation POGS.

rosesarered Mon 06-Mar-17 12:08:29

Exactly GrannyG and we do see a lot of that about , finding fault with 'the words' don't we?

sunseeker Mon 06-Mar-17 12:10:05

Pogs My mother always said about an aunt that she would walk miles over broken glass in her bare feet just to have her feelings hurt! grin

Eloethan Mon 06-Mar-17 12:20:25

I can't see why it is sexist - as I understand it, you weren't referring to women doing the washing/drying or whatever.

MawBroon Mon 06-Mar-17 12:29:01

Goodness! Words fail me(almost!)
What a stupid fuss about nothing. A person daren't open their mouth around some people!

POGS Mon 06-Mar-17 12:29:47

sunseeker

You got me! grin

That is the correct way to say it. blush

annodomini Mon 06-Mar-17 13:06:43

I'm hardly being sexist to say that I've washed my bedlinen this morning, given that I live on my own!

grannylyn65 Mon 06-Mar-17 13:10:54

Oh me too ?

Maggiemaybe Mon 06-Mar-17 13:23:35

What absolute tosh, GrannyGalactica. That person really needs to get out more!

GrannyGalactica Mon 06-Mar-17 13:54:59

Well said Maggie; that just about sums it up. smile

TerriBull Mon 06-Mar-17 14:42:24

I suppose traditionally washing day was a Monday and women were pretty much responsible for what was a labour intesive task putting sheets etc. through those old fashioned mangle contraptions. All that aside, I think that mode of laundry has been consigned to history now and as roses has said we all (men included) wash as we go so the comment seems odd for the times we live in. Some like to look for insults where there aren't any imo.

TriciaF Mon 06-Mar-17 17:25:04

shock!
Why are people so easily offended these days?
They should have lived through WW2, then they would have found something real to be upset about.

Deedaa Mon 06-Mar-17 20:55:16

Don't have washing day at all, stuff just gets washed when it needs it. Having said that I still seem to be the only person who can work the washing machine!

Grannybags Mon 06-Mar-17 21:09:59

My Granny used to put on a rubber apron and wellies to do the washing! Always done on Monday and took all day. Definitely woman's work in those days!

Luckygirl Mon 06-Mar-17 21:12:56

Oh dear - I think I would be tempted to slip in some really sexist stuff just for the hell of it - tsk, tsk grin

TriciaF Tue 07-Mar-17 09:29:26

Remember this song?
www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAlevP8JWOQ
Nice idea to have all the children helping.

Jalima Tue 07-Mar-17 09:56:05

My mother used to say 'A woman's work is never done'!

She didn't specify what work grin

Jalima Tue 07-Mar-17 09:58:21

Tricia Yes! smile

Teetime Tue 07-Mar-17 10:09:47

There was a question on a recent QI programme which read 'who is offended?' the collective answer was 'everybody'.

moobox Tue 07-Mar-17 10:30:56

We can all be thankful how easy it is to have more than one washing day a week when it only takes 5 minutes and a few button presses. Now ironing day is another matter.......