Gransnet forums

Chat

Do Men Get Their Say too......?

(89 Posts)
Barleysugar Sun 12-Nov-17 10:25:37

Is there the equivalent of a ‘ mensnet’ on line ?

I think it would be very interesting to hear their comments on some subjects, because as far as I can make out, after thirty years of marriage, mostly happy (!), I do believe their brains are wired up differently to ours!

No disrespect whatsoever to all the male species out there!

PamelaJ1 Wed 15-Nov-17 10:52:57

This question keeps coming up. Aren’t grandads grans too.
I think that men should take part as part of their Continuous Professional Development. We, naturally are their tutors???(that’s me, being shot down in flames)

00mam00 Wed 15-Nov-17 10:55:06

There is a dads net, it looks very uninviting and seems to have inappropriate adverts on it (or maybe appropriate depending on your viewpoint).
Surely ‘grans’ means grannies’ and grandads’.

I expect my grammar will get you pedants spitting and choking grin. I am dyslexic.

ExaltedWombat Wed 15-Nov-17 11:00:34

Very often a topic here can be summed up like this. 'Yeah, s**t happens, doesn't it? You have my sympathy. Try to be nice though.' Unless the topic is Brexit, a man will usually leave the conversation there. Of course, if it IS Brexit, opinions may be endlessly re-stated... :-)

loopyloo Wed 15-Nov-17 11:38:53

And I think older people who don't have children or grandchildren should be welcome on here. Otherwise they can feel very left out and isolated. Think it should be notjustgrands.com.

Sheilasue Wed 15-Nov-17 11:44:39

Personally I think they are from another planet. My h is my best friend he makes me laugh but definitely strange.
Well we are from Venus.

Ailsa43 Wed 15-Nov-17 11:50:25

Also mustn't forget bumblebee who is a very welcome male here too, and hopefully getting better after your fall

David1968 Wed 15-Nov-17 12:08:40

I've found that DH is now reading "my" Gransnet. But I can't see him joining in - he's too busy on an Archers chat site....

maryhoffman37 Wed 15-Nov-17 12:45:10

They are not a separate species, just gender. And it does relations between the sexes no favours to see them that way.

humptydumpty Wed 15-Nov-17 13:01:07

Speaking as a woman and mother but not a gran and also being 'over 60' - I just assumed this site was for anyone of the older persuasion...

grumppa Wed 15-Nov-17 13:35:18

Thank you for your penetrating aperçus, radicalnan.

HootyMcOwlface Wed 15-Nov-17 13:43:33

I thought that too humptydumpty - have I got it wrong? I find mumsnet a bit too bitchy and snipey most of the time (not always).

Blinko Wed 15-Nov-17 14:16:49

I ventured on to MN once and found it too hardcore by far. Little wisdom or common sense and lots of shouty self righteousness. Mums are welcome to it.

Fennel Wed 15-Nov-17 14:25:55

I agree - the forum would benefit from more contributions from men. I once asked if the the name of the forum could be changed, as Gransnet sounds as if it's only for women.
I like some of the discussions on Mumsnet, but usually it's overwhelming as they have so many contributers. It's difficult to find a general trend of a thread, because they're so long.

Baggs Wed 15-Nov-17 14:33:49

I think plenty of men use Mumsnet. It is advertised as for "parents" after all. And Gransnet is for grandparents. If men don't post as much as women do why is that. problem any more than men, on the whole, preferring quizzing more than women do, which accounts for why St Hugh's College, Oxford (originally a women's college) fielded an all male team for University Challenge. It doesn't mean men are cleverer than women, just that men like public quizzes more than women do.

Coconut Wed 15-Nov-17 14:34:04

Many men just don’t have in depth conversations about anything and think women talk for the sake of it ! Even getting them to the Dr can be a struggle to talk about an important health concern ! Yes, men are definitely wired different to us on many levels.

Baggs Wed 15-Nov-17 14:34:25

...why is that a problem...

grumppa Wed 15-Nov-17 15:36:08

Perhaps many women don't have in depth conversations about anything, either.

In the current trans world this entire thread seems a little odd: are we the sex or gender our noms de plume suggest that we are?

Yours neutrally,

Blinko Wed 15-Nov-17 15:43:09

I think you'll find that lots of men have 'in depth' conversations about...sport. (Yawn)

ninathenana Wed 15-Nov-17 15:53:16

hd the site definitely is open to all grandads, grannies, mothers and those without children also the LGBT community ?

Kim19 Wed 15-Nov-17 16:47:53

If men and women are wired up differently then I am very grateful for that. Certainly enjoy and have enjoyed the male viewpoint on many a diverse topic. They're usually 'wrong' of course (!!) but I find their input interesting indeed.

Caroline123 Wed 15-Nov-17 20:45:44

Absolutely! I'm with you on all points!

lemongrove Wed 15-Nov-17 20:59:47

We have few men on here because few men are interested in the same things as women, and GN is mainly oriented to women and their concerns.
Other senior sites not so much, they have more of a mix.
Before anybody stands hands on hips and says ‘ we have the politics threads’ yes we do, but they are only a few threads out of many.
Look at the thread titles.

CardiffJaguar Wed 15-Nov-17 21:11:09

It's a relief to learn there are other men here. I'll talk about anything I find interesting.

lemongrove Wed 15-Nov-17 21:16:53

Christmas Cakes? grin

lemongrove Wed 15-Nov-17 21:23:38

Actually, there may be more men than we think, who knows who is behind a user name?