Gransnet forums

Chat

Animal cruelty

(66 Posts)
Rosina Wed 24-Jan-18 17:33:32

I have read this morning a really horrible and upsetting article about the ghastly treatment of sheep in a halal abattoir. (I think most of them are halal now) I just cannot understand how, when we have strict rules about and penalties for those who are guilty of animal cruelty, that this barbarous and disgusting practice is allowed to continue. I wrote to our M.P. about it some years ago and his response was that it was 'difficult'. You bet it is for the poor creatures suffering a terrible death.
Ghandi said 'The greatness of a nation, and its moral progress, can be judged by the way its animals are treated'.
I don't know what this says about us - we seem to be going backwards and sliding into medieval cruelty.

whitewave Sun 28-Jan-18 13:51:09

I think it must dehumanise those involved in the whole process.

durhamjen Sun 28-Jan-18 13:53:16

I didn't, POGS. Perhaps I should have said 'people' instead of 'you' as that's what I meant.
You did notice that I agreed with you in my first two sentences, didn't you?

suzied Sun 28-Jan-18 13:55:06

The dairy industry is just as cruel as the meat industry, particularly in the intensive factory farms.

whitewave Sun 28-Jan-18 14:01:42

I put my hand up as a meat eater. But I buy from a farm, where the animal are grass fed and free range and are slaughtered (I hate even talking about it) locally so there is little travel and as little stress as possible.

I now eat meat every 3 days, fish and veggie the other 2 to try to salve my concience.

nightowl Sun 28-Jan-18 16:38:46

You are quite right suzied the dairy industry is every bit as cruel, whether large or small farm. It’s not possible to make a cow carry a calf every year then remove it at birth without causing untold suffering to both. Not to mention what then happens to them both when they are of no further use. Like dj I would like to see everything labelled as to its origins so we know exactly what we are consuming.

Telly Mon 29-Jan-18 09:13:17

I find this debate very interesting, there is little defense of the indefensible. It must be a positive thing that people are taking more notice of what goes on their plate and how it got there. I think a light is starting to shine in the areas that a lot of food producers would rather the majority of the public don't know about. I think individuals must care enough to take some action, it all adds up.

auntbett Wed 31-Jan-18 11:06:45

Well said Barnet and sarahellenwhitney. I couldn't agree more.

durhamjen Thu 01-Feb-18 20:05:21

"This morning, a report was published by the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs Commons Select Committee, which suggests that the commitment to paying regard to animal sentience in the Bill should be delayed.
The Committee cites concerns that having to pay regard to animal welfare might lead to a “chilling effect” – slowing down, or freezing, some new policy-making. Compassion feels that the “chilling effect” is entirely desirable. It should not be possible for Ministers to formulate new policy affecting animals without giving full regard to their suffering."

We knew it was all window-dressing, didn't we?
Gove's as cold-blooded as his dad's fish.
Amazing that people were taken in by him.

CelticRose Tue 13-Feb-18 20:05:25

Just picked up the post. Also says somewhere in the King James Bible we are not much of a people if we cannot care for the young, elderly or animals. On another tack... I have just learned of an online Petition - Change.org. The Petition was to Teresa May requesting a law for an Animal Abuser Register. Dreadful story about the abuse of "Chunky" - a tiny Chihuahua.
www.change.org/p/rt-hon-theresa-may-mp-justice-for-chunky

Eloethan Tue 13-Feb-18 23:25:51

I doubt that it is just Halal practices that are inhumane.

www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/news/exposed-the-long-cruel-road-to-the-slaughterhouse-781364.html

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3763589/Report-reveals-shocking-levels-animal-cruelty-slaughterhouses.html

durhamjen Wed 14-Feb-18 00:36:12

I would say using the idea of halal slaughter is a dead cat to take attention from our own practices, but that's a bit sick, really, isn't it?

Eloethan Sat 17-Feb-18 15:51:21

If people are truly concerned about the way animals bred for food are treated, both duringtheir lifetimes and at the point of slaughter, I think they might do well to either:

Stop eating meat

Only eat meat that is organic and from a reputable source

Join an organisation like Compassion in World Farming.

durhamjen Sat 17-Feb-18 16:06:40

Apparently 25% of meals in the UK now contain no meat or fish, Eloethan.
That seems surprisingly but gratifyingly high to me.
Just another 75% to go.

Iam64 Sat 17-Feb-18 16:10:26

I usually eat meat two or three times a week, well sourced and from our local butcher. The lamb is from his fields, chicken free range and organic. I’m coming to the end of s meat free three week period away. I haven’t missed meat at all and I’m for the first time seriously considering a meat free diet.

suzied Sat 17-Feb-18 17:20:48

Howver well the animal is treated during their lives- they are all slaughtered in the end. However it is done it is horrible, it’s never cruelty free.