Gransnet forums

Chat

durhamjen

(199 Posts)
Eloethan Mon 09-Apr-18 23:39:07

Where is durhamjen?

winterwhite Thu 12-Apr-18 20:52:39

I agree that this thread has run its course, but because there’s been something unpleasant about the whole episode.

Jalima1108 Thu 12-Apr-18 19:51:00

I think they went of their own accord to pastures new.
Or so I understood from a hint.

varian Thu 12-Apr-18 18:53:57

I know I'm not the only one who will miss DJ, WW and GG. I really would like to know if they just decided to go or if they were banned by GN in response to something or other. Are we to be told?

Lazigirl Thu 12-Apr-18 18:13:57

As an interested reader of the political threads, but rarely wishing to raise my head above the parapet and post because of the vitriol shown to any supporters of JC, which I am incidentally, I shall miss dj and her informative links.

trisher Thu 12-Apr-18 17:54:12

loopyloo yes the LP does want to see the railways taken back into public ownership. But they do not have a policy of complete nationalisation. There are for example private ports and airports, my GD would have nationalised the lot. He also advocated nationalising the banks and forecast that the steel industry and mining would not flourish because the banks were not nationalised. Now he was hard left.

Mapleleaf Thu 12-Apr-18 17:43:58

I thought this thread was asking where certain posters had gone. It seems to have degenerated into a bit of a slanging match. Oh dear. Yes, I think it has run it’s course.

lemongrove Thu 12-Apr-18 17:25:55

I think this thread has run it’s course, and yes, time to be deleted now IMHO.

loopyloo Thu 12-Apr-18 17:01:28

Trisha, I thought a lot of nationalisation was Labour policy. Certainly the railways.

Jalima1108 Thu 12-Apr-18 15:59:18

I would follow a link from a known source but not one that looked a bit dubious.

maryeliza54 Thu 12-Apr-18 14:38:44

I wish this awful thread would be deleted

humptydumpty Thu 12-Apr-18 14:29:11

I agree, but pasting substantial chunks of text may deter people from reading them; whether those people would, instead, follow a link, I don't know. I just did that myself (from the Guardian) on another thread, because I personally tend to think posters are more likely to read the text.

Jalima1108 Thu 12-Apr-18 14:24:19

Was it a 'subtle' hint that links are not what 'real' Gnetters do? (Because, of course, links are a bit technical, aren't they, and it's hard work clicking through to them)
hmm
MaizieD
I think one of the posters who has left and used to post a lot of links did, on occasion, copy and paste a whole article too. I think she could have been termed 'a real Gnetter'.

I am wary of links unless the source is known - because they may not always be a link to a secure site.

OldMeg Thu 12-Apr-18 13:44:18

Clearly then lemongrass you haven’t read this thread thoroughly then.

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 12-Apr-18 13:00:41

Hello, this is pretty much a thread about a thread (or threads!) There are some areas like politics where we're going to disagree but can we try to respect other people's point of view, whether they are still commenting on Gransnet or not? Thanks. If the thread continues in this vein we'll have to delete.

MawBroon Thu 12-Apr-18 08:46:23

When debate can tend to sink into personal abuse very quickly that is not discussion should be.
It should not be necessary to don one’s hard hat or steel knickers before expressing an opinion, but sadly it too often is.

Anniebach Thu 12-Apr-18 08:46:03

Some posters choose to post links rather than debate

lemongrove Thu 12-Apr-18 08:33:10

Eloethan those are only thread titles and many contributors are or were Labour supporters.
The vociferous Corbyn supporters on GN can take it! Or can they?
Nfk yes, durhamjen would love this thread and is probably reading it avidly at this very moment.grin

Old Meg we don’t actually know if nightowl has taken a break or not.Nightowl hardly ever posts on here, in fact I thought had already left the site.

OldMeg Thu 12-Apr-18 08:15:04

Reading through this thread very carefully from beginning to this point, I’m not surprised that a poster like Nightowl has temporarily taken a break from GN.

If someone whose opinions are so politely stated, and who backs up her views with factual information and considered prose feels like this then it’s a sorry state of affairs.

I’m not sure how to put this without causing offence, but it is clearly the case that some posters simply lack the capacity to debate.

maryeliza54 Thu 12-Apr-18 07:58:41

Oh there you go again Eloethan bringing facts into a discussion instead of inhabiting the parallel universe that is inhabited by the anti left on here where they are polite, well informed, rational, and treated so very very badly by the trots, the commies, the Corbynites.

MaizieD Thu 12-Apr-18 07:47:37

Why would they be pleased,*Nfk*? It's the usual mix of nice and nasty.

I was amused that Baggs copied and pasted a whole article instead of a taster and a link (probably in breach of copyright, too). Was it a 'subtle' hint that links are not what 'real' Gnetters do? (Because, of course, links are a bit technical, aren't they, and it's hard work clicking through to them) hmm

NfkDumpling Thu 12-Apr-18 05:55:00

Gosh, DJ and WW would be so pleased with this thread!

Eloethan Thu 12-Apr-18 00:40:50

Labour posters are accused of sneering and bullying. If you want to do a roll call of sneering, look no further than the very many threads started with the express intention of sneering at the current Labour Party and its supporters, starting with the most recent:

Comrade Corbychev's cock-ups"
Corbyn's elasticity
Corbyn and Momentum
Corbyn's Torque
Corbyn's Inertia
Labour Supporters may be ignorant
Corbyn's Momentum
Corbyn and the Centre Ground
Only Labour Voters welcome (ironically, yet another claim that right wing Gransnetters are nervous to post their opinions)
A Labour Government (the OP of which refers to "that joke Corbyn")
The Cure for Labour (making reference to "after Labour is trashed in this election")
Corbyn - a man of principle?

and so it continues - not much debate or facts - just nasty remarks.

MamaCaz Wed 11-Apr-18 23:36:43

Grrr - 'Lighter' not' lughter!

MamaCaz Wed 11-Apr-18 23:35:24

On a lughter note, I had to do a double-take on reading your last post, lemongrove - for a brief moment, I thought you were on a WW1 committee! Definitely a 'Should've gone to Specsavers' moment! grin

Jalima1108 Wed 11-Apr-18 23:24:05

No excuse!