Gransnet forums

Chat

Cycling at seventy

(31 Posts)
Silverlining47 Sun 17-Jun-18 07:55:17

I have been persuaded to join some friends on a 'gentle' cycling holiday! I am fit but haven't sat on a bike for years and am most worried about a sore bottom! Can anyone recommend a good seat cover or give me any advice please.

BBbevan Tue 19-Jun-18 15:17:26

janeainsworth just been on the Carmarthenshire website. Lots on their numerous cycle paths but nothing on cycling groups or the like. DH suggests we just get a bike and I can practice in the garden until I am confident enough to brave the world.

MargaretX Tue 19-Jun-18 19:00:08

Being fit and able to ride a bike is not enough for a cycling holiday. You will have toget a bike and do at least 10 miles a day before you go. It looks easy but can be vey hard going up hill or riding against a fresh wind.

Bikes with added power e-bikes are the best for older people and wearing a helmet all day is no joke either. You should get used to it before you go.

janeainsworth Tue 19-Jun-18 19:40:26

I tend to agree Margaret.
We went out last week & cycled about 9 miles including some hills, and even with dinner at a nice country house hotel afterwards, I was knackered rather tired the next day.

Jalima1108 Tue 19-Jun-18 20:00:29

Even when I was young (about 17) friends and I did some 'practice runs' first, building up to one night away in a YH, before we tackled a much more ambitious holiday.

However, not having cycled for many years, the last time I attempted it I fell off (the bike belonged to a friend and was very old and rather unstable!).
The upside was some rather nice men came to rescue me.

GrandmaKT Tue 19-Jun-18 21:03:59

BBevan, most local authority sports centres will have cycle groups attached to them. We have one run by Age Concern for over 50s. We tend to go about 30 miles, but there is always the option of a shorter ride and beginners are well supported. Some members are in their 80s, and I know of two who have stairlifts at home, but are still regular cyclists!
Silverlining47 in addition to padded shorts, I'd recommend padded cycling gloves as your hands can get a bit sore.
I hope you enjoy the holiday, I love cycling, but have never been on a cycling holiday.