Gransnet forums

Chat

'Troll hunting'?

(36 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

Rosina Tue 11-Sep-18 10:19:11

I have just had a notification pop up about a new message on a discussion thread, and then when clicking on the link, saw that the thread had been deleted by GN due to 'Troll Hunting'. I have not encountered this before. Does this mean that there have been unacceptable posts and GN Admin. are on the case to find the perpetrators - who, presumably, must be registered and logged on - or are the 'Trolls' hunting the OP? Please excuse my ignorance but as I don't delve into social media (only GN) I am not familiar with the terms and some of the horrors that seem to arise.
The press have had reports about trolls that have been caught, convicted and even imprisoned for the vilest behaviour - why do they behave so badly? Cloak and safety of perceived anonymity? Spite? Need to vindicate their own sad existence?

Jalima1108 Tue 11-Sep-18 17:45:36

It's all too much for me

confused

Greenfinch Tue 11-Sep-18 17:52:55

I am with you Rosina.I questioned the OP but I certainly was not accusing another poster of being a troll.

Maggiemaybe Tue 11-Sep-18 18:20:16

But if you’re a genuine poster, as I believe this was, opening up on here about something deeply personal (and I’m not talking pumps and onesies!), and you have others speculating that you aren’t genuine, or that you’re making things up, it will hurt. That’s why it’s up to GNHQ to look into it if there’s any doubt, and we’re asked not to speculate and make comments that could be upsetting.

BlueBelle Tue 11-Sep-18 18:24:56

Well it’s a bit too much for my brain too Rosina I never thought the original poster was a troll if that’s what is meant I just agreed with another poster that it could have bern a wind up as it was quite a story
if I ve broken any protocol of GN delete my post by all means but don’t give me a title I don’t deserve I am not a troll, doll, fox or any other kind of hunter
Thanks Anniebach

JudyJudy12 Tue 11-Sep-18 18:34:11

Is this not a lot of fuss about nothing. If you do not believe a poster so what , just move on, if somebody is rude or offensive ignore it.We are not children that need to be protected from bad language or adult subjects.

I find the reporting to GNHQ very childish, apart from spam.

Elegran Tue 11-Sep-18 20:10:45

I don't think posters ask to be protected from adult subjects or bad language. They do sometimes ask Gn to look into replies that are deliberately and gratuitously insulting personal attacks, but that is not the same thing.

Moving on is the best move if you are not convinced by a post, but seeing others being taken in by a wind-up merchant can be a temptation to blow the gaff on them. Sometimes, too, a wind-up can be a running joke (like the onesies and plimsolls) which is a legitimate target for poking fun at , as much as recognising that the poster is poking fun at genuine inane comments.

grannyactivist Tue 11-Sep-18 20:22:47

When in Norway I often look for trolls, but haven't yet been lucky enough to spot one. grin

When on GN I often seem to be a beat behind others and I have no idea what the interesting, but now absent, thread was about. And what is worse is that I have no memory to speak of any more so I'm left wondering if I actually read it, but don't remember reading it. confused

Elegran Tue 11-Sep-18 20:39:38

I can't remember it either, GA, so if it was someone trying to wind us up, they didn't succeed with me. If it wasn't, then they got some sensible answers, so it wasn't a complete loss for them.

Elegran Tue 11-Sep-18 20:40:51

It is water under the bridge now, whatever. grin

Jalima1108 Wed 12-Sep-18 18:28:07

grin