Gransnet forums

Chat

cleaning technology

(76 Posts)
exFengirl Wed 17-Oct-18 20:37:46

Before I start the substance of this post, I'm going to admit to employing a cleaner, even though I'm retired, so I am Very Lucky to be able to do so. However, my husband has noticed that the house is much cleaner when A has been here than when it's left to me to do it. Of course.
Today, when going to work (voluntary) I received an anxious text from A that the 'vacuum' wasn't working: it's a sophisticated machine produced by the company headed by a prominant Brexiteer. The last one I owned made by the same company was wonderful: I let it fall down the stairs once and the company replaced the bits that had broken even though it was almost 10 years old. That's not really the point. When I investigated the problem with the new machine, the now too-narrow inlet tube thingy (I don't know how better to describe it) was clogged with hair, paper and 3 cocktail sticks.
That wouldn't have happened if my otherwise very good cleaner had swept the floor before using the machine, the name of which I don't think I can mention, according to Gransnet rules.
My question is: do the new generation of cleaners think they can rely entirely on technology?
I sent A a reassuring text that I'd fixed the problem and got a response that it hadn't been her fault. Indeed not: if the afore-hinted-at company had developed a machine that dealt with the demands of the task it has, presumably, been designed to do, it would cope with hairs, paper and cocktail sticks. To be fair, possibly not the cocktail sticks!
Advice anyone? I do appreciate that I'm very fortunate to be able to afford a cleaner, so please don't tell me that

Jane43 Thu 18-Oct-18 11:09:49

The cordless D** is a disappointment to us. It does get clogged up easily and emptying the cylinder is a nightmare, we have to use a carving fork to get all the fluff etc which sticks to the inner tube. Our son regularly takes it apart to give it a good clean and there is a lot of fluff etc in the parts that are hard to get at. Yes the filter does need cleaning more often than monthly as suggested. We bought a spare one so that when it starts pulsing showing that it needs cleaning we just insert the spare one and wash the other one. It is suggested that you rinse it under a tap but DH takes the fabric part off sometimes and there is a lot of debris inside so the filter isn’t as easy to clean as they suggest. We also have an issue with the extension tube when we want to take it off to use in the car or on the stairs. It is very difficult to take off, even DH finds it a struggle. All in all for the price we paid it doesn’t live up to our expectations. Since we bought it there is a later model which may well be better but for an award winning engineer there are lots of design faults in our opinion. When we replace it we will try another make of cordless vacuum. I have seen models by V** and one advertised on tv, S****. If anybody has experience of either of these I would like to receive feedback.

NotSpaghetti Thu 18-Oct-18 11:12:35

You are right of course shortlegs - some things are easier to solve than others....
We are lucky to have lots of the "problems" we do have. At least, I often think that when something small becomes an issue for me.

I worked in a refuge many years ago and more than once wept at my good fortune to have simple problems at my home. ... even the lego brick is not so painful when you see others with nothing. Humbling.

Bijou Thu 18-Oct-18 11:16:19

I have a cylinder cleaner and a very cheap upright. My cleaner prefers the latter even though the filter needs cleaning after almost every use. It copes with both hard and carpeted floors. It picks up hairs better than the cylinder.

GabriellaG Thu 18-Oct-18 11:16:48

How do you not notice that you've dropped cocktail sticks and paper on the floor, or does the OP ignore anything that noticeable and discount it as beneath her to stoop and pick up as it's the cleaner's job.
I'd certainly notice if those kind of things were lying on my floor but then, my floors are clean. Your home would have to be really messy not to notice.

Saggi Thu 18-Oct-18 11:24:18

I’ve never swept a floor BEFORE hoovering . I hoover carpets and ‘sweep’ my wooden floors! My grey/green VERY brilliant cordless is the best £299 I’ve ever spent!

kazziecookie Thu 18-Oct-18 11:32:12

The green eyed monster in me is just having a dicky fit. Cleaner WOW you are so lucky.
I have just sat down for a cuppa after working since 6.45 am cooking breakfasts and cleaning 7 bedrooms in my guest house. Tomorrow is going to be even harder as 6 rooms checking out.
I would love a cleaner as 62 with 4 more years until I retire and feeling particularly sorry for myself at the moment as my Arthritis is really giving me some gipp.
If she is a good cleaner and does a good job I wouldn’t worry to much as to if she sweeps up first why make extra work for her.

mabon1 Thu 18-Oct-18 11:38:12

You must be joking that one cleans the floor before vacuuming it, anyway, cocktail sticks could you not have picked them up yourself? You must be a lazy person.

DeeDum Thu 18-Oct-18 11:50:46

I could afford a cleaner and would love one, but knowing me I would rush around cleaning & tidying trying to avoid the cleaner seeing the mess!!
We use a gardener I fight with myself not to sweep & tidy the garden before his monthly visit ?
I worry about me lol and yes do realise how fortunate we are! But it was worked for!!

DeeDum Thu 18-Oct-18 11:53:04

Must add as I forgot to say
I know nothing about vacuum cleaners ?

harrigran Thu 18-Oct-18 11:58:40

We use one of those chunky red vacuums that would swallow anything in it's path. I couldn't sweep because I don't have a long handled indoor brush, at least I don't think I have.

tigger Thu 18-Oct-18 12:02:07

Why are those of us who have cleaners so ashamed to admit it. Mine are well paid; do an excellent job and fulfil a role more competently than I do. We can afford it and make a valid contribution to the economy.

Baggs Thu 18-Oct-18 12:23:51

Anyone who expects straight sticks (even smaller ones than cocktail sticks) and large gollops of paper to go round the sometimes quite tight corners in vacuum cleaner tubes and related gubbinses, is clearly not very... um... good predicting obvious problems (in short, the physical limitations of narrow tubes) before they occur and working out how to avoid them, e.g. by picking the gollops and sticks up by hand ?.

The word 'lazy' has just jumped into my mind.

Sweeping, as others have said, doesn't come into it.

Barnet Thu 18-Oct-18 12:42:27

I used to BE a cleaner and my employer had a D***n. It was a hellish piece of equipment. If the pipe clogged up -which was about once a week - it would overheat and turn itself off and I’d have to wait about half an hour until it cooled down before it would switch back on which meant cleaning could take twice as long. I believe their slogan used to be “100% suction 100% of the time” which is nonsense as every cleaner loses suction the minute you start to use it. Personally I wouldn’t have a D***n if you gave me one for free. I was glad when the lady I worked for changed the damn thing for a Miele. No trouble at all with that!

Happysexagenarian Thu 18-Oct-18 12:42:35

I have never swept floors before vacuuming them. However I do have a rubber broom to lift pet hair (we have a dog) and fluff off the carpets before I vacuum, works brilliantly. I think all vacuum hoses get blocked sometimes, there has to be a limit to the size of debris it can cope with. DH has an industrial Henry in his shed which has incredible suction and devours everything from dense cement dust to lumps of concrete and wood, just a pity he doesn't use it a bit more frequently!

Willow500 Thu 18-Oct-18 12:46:54

Hmm - I do sweep up and then use my handheld to hoover the piles I've swept up - trying to gather it with a dustpan just seems to make it go everywhere - we have tiled and laminated floors downstairs - the large rugs I don't sweep. I love my Dyson and have both the handheld and cordless stick ones. I also keep a spare filter so that when one is drying the other is in the machine. It copes well with all I throw at it including lots of scattered cat litter (clean that is) but if there was something like a cocktail stick on the floor I wouldn't expect it to pick that up.

I'm envious of having a cleaner - I had an excellent one some years ago who arrived on a Friday and cleaned the house top to bottom for the weekend. Sadly she moved away and as my workload is nowhere near what it was back then I can't justify the cost. Same thing happened with my gardener too - I'm hoping to enrol that job to my other half when he retires next spring - ah yes - there goes that flying pig grin

Sheilasue Thu 18-Oct-18 12:47:32

I love doing a housework, good exercise and always check my dyson when I finished, granddaughters hair is invisible on the carpet but when I check there is loads on the roller, just carefully peel it off.

Happysexagenarian Thu 18-Oct-18 12:50:22

Barnet I have to agree with you, Miele make excellent vacuum cleaners. Yes, they are expensive but worth every penny. Mine is over 10 years old now and still works as good as new. Having said that it will probably expire now! hmm

Willow500 Thu 18-Oct-18 12:52:30

Sheilasue I have long hair and it gets everywhere! Yesterday I charged up the G-Tech upstairs I've had for years and thought I'd better clean it - it must have taken me half and hour to cut away all my hair on the roller blush

lizzypopbottle Thu 18-Oct-18 13:06:53

Not trying to teach grandma to suck eggs, but if your vacuum cleaner swallows a couple of cocktail sticks, they will get stuck because they are too wide and have pointed ends. Everything else will get stuck wherever the sticks have lodged. Surely that's fairly obvious? I brush the floors where I have vinyl (kitchen and utility) because, even on hard-floor setting, the suction pulls at the vinyl. When I've brushed, I just use the hose and nozzle to suck up the ten tons of dog hair that have appeared from nowhere! Even my three dogs can't explain where it comes from. They ought to be bald as coots!

dragonfly46 Thu 18-Oct-18 13:07:12

My DD has the Shark handheld and loves it.

Carolpaint Thu 18-Oct-18 14:25:08

Sorry but can someone invent a vacuum cleaner that can do a decent cleaning? Want a really good powerful suction, that can cope with a few lumps of stuff, that does not throw a hissy fit that requires me frequently getting down and dirty. No I never thought that anyone sweeps with a broom before vacuuming, perhaps that is where I go wrong. Have tried many different machines and they are all rubbish at their job. Have three dogs so vacuuming is needed more frequently. In the years I had a cleaner, had to fiddle about with it, at her request, when it threw a hissy fit for her. As regards the filter washing, it is a pain. As regards that ardent Brexiteers offerings they ain't that good.

quizqueen Thu 18-Oct-18 14:29:35

I wouldn't touch that company. I had one of their vacuum cleaners once and it was rubbish; poor suction and some of the plastic components were so brittle they snapped and they wanted a fortune to replace them even though it was only just out of guarantee. I have my friendly and reliable Henry now.

The owner is not a true Brexiteer. He accepted a grant to move his manufacturing base to another country; maybe not even an EU one. The EU have form for doing this to the UK which is one very good reason we should leave as soon as possible. They gave Ford in Eastleigh near Southampton a grant to move to Turkey; a non EU country, with a loss o of about 15,000 jobs.!

In the news today one of the car companies is moving to Slovakia with an EU grant. Who needs 'friends' like that. Perhaps some of you Remainers could explain it. I could attach a list of about 100 companies who have moved over the years of our EU membership with encouraging grants from the EU plus many companies have gone out of business yet Remainers say they are worried about business when we leave. In actual fact, you should have been more worried about our businesses while we were in the EU!!!!!

grandtanteJE65 Thu 18-Oct-18 14:32:31

I would never dream of sweeping a floor before vacuuming either. I either sweep or vacuum. For years I used a world-renowned vacuum that is made in Denmark. Since moving I have used a bagless vacuum made by a completely unknown firm and sold through our local DIY store.

In my experience all vacuums tend to clog up - some (most) dislike cats' hairs others other things. None in my experience can deal with cocktail sticks or the like.

Try suggesting to your cleaner that next time the vacuum clogs up she checks the hose of it, or the plastic bit that goes into the tubing. I have a old curtain spiral that I use for un-clogging mine (if there is such a word, but you know what I mean.)

If you are not certain whether the tubes etc are clogged, take the smallest coin of the realm and "post" it into the hose and tubes when they are disconnected from the vacuum and from the brush. If it doesn't come out the end that is down, then there is a blockage somewhere.

maryhoffman37 Thu 18-Oct-18 14:46:19

You expect the cleaner to sweep before she vacuums? It's a different world.

Willow10 Thu 18-Oct-18 14:46:54

Baggs and Gabriella -I'm with you confused