Gransnet forums

Chat

Cold callers

(16 Posts)
HiPpyChick57 Sat 06-Apr-19 10:03:40

We all get fed up of cold callers, they’re the bane of my life especially when I’m at work,but does anyone have a favourite put down line or sarcy comment that you’ve used either to deliberately waste their time as they’re wasting yours or just to have a little snigger at their expense.
Don’t get me wrong, I know that they’re just doing their job but when you get them constantly ringing to ask the same questions each time it does get more than a little exasperating.

Charleygirl5 Sat 06-Apr-19 10:08:03

I rarely get cold callers but when I do I pretend I do not speak or understand English by saying Que que until they get exasperated, not long! and go,

B9exchange Sat 06-Apr-19 10:15:56

My response is 'we have the Telephone Preference Service, you shouldn't be making this call, put me through to your manager' The phone call is cut off immediately! grin

EllanVannin Sat 06-Apr-19 10:34:31

I've reported a nuisance number this week which had been ringing umpteen times. Each time I lifted up the phone as if to answer then pressed the red button so that I didn't have to tell them to " buzz-off " like I've done in the past.

jaylucy Sat 06-Apr-19 10:43:19

I have a landline phone with call minder built in - the caller has to announce who they are and I can decide to take it or not. You don't even hear the phone ring unless they do this! Bought this while my father was alive as he used to get so upset when callers asked to speak to my mother who had died 2 years previously.
Or you could do what my brother does - say " I'll just go and fetch them" and put the phone down on the side, then walk off and leave it for several minutes. Funnily enough, they have usually gone when you go back!

FountainPen Sat 06-Apr-19 10:46:52

Why be rude? The callers are only doing what is probably a soul-destroying job for a pittance.

Screen calls if you don't have number recognition or, if you do, don't answer a number you don't recognise. Anyone genuinely needing a response will leave voicemail that you can answer in your own time. Any other number simply block it.

Register your number(s) with TPS. It takes a few months to become effective but will substantially reduce the number of cold calls you receive. For those calls which do seep through simply say: No, thank you. and end the call. It really is that simple.

MiniMoon Sat 06-Apr-19 10:49:35

I saw a video of someone answering a cold call. He answered yes to every question. The chap on the other end got so exasperated that he eventually hung up.
We have a big red button beside the phone. It blocks any numbers that we don't want to receive calls from.

EllanVannin Sat 06-Apr-19 11:24:10

I can't block calls because I have an emergency line attached to the phone.

M0nica Sat 06-Apr-19 20:11:24

We ar signed up to TPS but foreign and some other calls get through. If I recognise the number is a nuisance number, I pick the phone up and press engage and then immediately ring off, if I don't the call goes to the answerphone so they know the number is 'live'.

If I don't recogise the number, I answer and if it is a cold call. I just put the receiver down without saying anything.

Chewbacca Sat 06-Apr-19 20:19:11

Only ever get them on my landline which is rarely, if ever used. My preferred method of dealing with them is to say that I'll just go and get Mrs Chewbacca and then I put the phone in the sideboard drawer and leave it there. It has been known for them to be in there 2 or 3 days before I've remembered them, by which time, they've gone. Shame!

Floradora9 Sun 07-Apr-19 19:37:14

If on the phone about a household thing I usedto tell them I will inform my husband once he gets out of prison . Sometimes pretent to be the nanny but since getting a BT phone which screens every call we do not get all calls we do not want .
When asked if thst is Mr. S my friend says ' yes that is his name of Trading Standards "

sassenach512 Sun 07-Apr-19 20:12:48

If I don't decide to just put the phone down on them, I pretend to be deaf so they have to repeat their speil over and over till they get fed up and hang up, simples smile

boheminan Sun 07-Apr-19 21:18:14

I discovered an easy way of getting cold callers to give up quickly is to establish what company they're calling from then say: 'Oh, that's interesting, I work for (that company)....which department are you in?'

DoraMarr Sun 07-Apr-19 21:49:58

I just say “no thank you, goodbye.” I agree with FountainPen, they are only trying to make a living.

Esspee Mon 08-Apr-19 06:59:46

I used to work for BT. I just want to dispel the idea some have that people in call centres earn a pittance. I was earning about three times the minimum wage and enjoyed my job.

Anja Mon 08-Apr-19 08:07:20

I don’t get cold caller by landline at all any more. I have a free call blocker on my mobile.

We do however get what are known locally as ‘Nottingham knockers’ young men trying to sell overpriced dusters, and other cleaning products. They claim to be ex-offenders trying to make a living but when asked for identification just wave the tag around their neck at you. They can be very persistent and abusive if told ‘no thanks’.

My door bell takes videos of anyone who rings. I had to point this out to one just after Christmas and threaten to post it on FB if he didn’t clear off. I felt quite threatened. So now I just open a downstairs window rather than the front door and tell them I’m on the phone so no thanks.