Gransnet forums

Other subjects

Dangerous driver

(16 Posts)
artnan13 Tue 04-Jun-19 12:43:06

Long story short - a woman from my social group shouldn't be behind the wheel of a car! I have managed to avoid being her passenger for several years because I didn't feel safe (we all take it in turns to drive), but recently had no choice. I was genuinely scared at her driving (long stretches of driving on the wrong side of the road, near misses and sometimes out of control). A few of us have tried to talk to her about it, but she laughs it off and says she's fine. She is not. Her car is covered in bumps and scratches and it's common knowledge that she often gets behind the wheel after drinking alcohol.
I know that as, a widow in her seventies, she regards her car as a vital part of life, which I understand, but I really feel that it's not a question of IF, but WHEN she is involved in a serious accident and hurts someone else (or worse).
After a great deal of thought, I reported her to the DVLA. However. that was several weeks ago and she is still driving. Does anyone know how long it usually takes the DVLA to act? Thanks.

glammanana Tue 04-Jun-19 13:00:05

Unfortunatly I think if the DVLA have not been notified of a medical reason to suspend her licience there is nothing they can do until she herself decides to stop driving.
Can you not speak with her family or a really good friend of hers to try and get the message across to her.
I would think she knows herself how her driving is but is frightened of being isolated with out her car.

Alexa Tue 04-Jun-19 13:09:30

For the time being, could you suggest , like so many of us, she could do with a driving lesson or two from a proper driving instructor. Traffic conditions have changed a lot in the past few years.

She sounds as if she cannot handle a car and her drink driving is illegal. However she seems to be a little set in her ways, so at least she might pay attention to a driving instructor.

artnan13 Tue 04-Jun-19 13:16:41

There is a health issue and I informed the DVLA.
I agree with you about it being her decision to stop and that really is the problem - think she will only stop when she has an accident. Unfortunately.

artnan13 Tue 04-Jun-19 13:18:05

Good advice, Alexa. Trouble is, she would never do that because she knows they would tell her to stop!

M0nica Tue 04-Jun-19 13:18:54

Next time you are asked to travel in a car she is driving just say 'no' and tell her it is because you find her driving so erratic and dangerous. Then either take your own car, with all those who would prefer to travel with you, or miss the event.

If the whole group told her they would not travel with her, it might make her think, although I doubt it. It would, however ensure that none of you are injured and killed in the accident that finally sees her license withdrawn.

kittylester Tue 04-Jun-19 13:27:09

If there is a health issue and you have told the dvla then they have probably asked the gp for an opinion.. Some conditions are reported direct to the dvla by the gp, or should be.

Luckygirl Tue 04-Jun-19 13:48:40

I once reported someone whose driving was dangerous (she had had a stroke but her licence had been returned) and I went to her GP - a GP can carry clout with DVLA.

Why they gave her her licence back after her stroke I cannot imagine - her driving was beyond appalling.

Luckygirl Tue 04-Jun-19 13:51:37

As to the lady in the OP's post.........just tell her straight - your life depends on it.

I was one driven to Brum by someone whose driving turned out to be awful - I went back on the train, and told him why. At one point he he got out a litre bottle of water from the door, opened it - using two hands - had a drink - closed it and returned it to its place. All whilst overtaking on the motorway!

Caro6699 Tue 04-Jun-19 14:03:25

I believe that you can report your concerns anonymously to the DVLA now. Some GPs are very reluctant to get involved if the Driver is reluctant to give up driving.

M0nica Tue 04-Jun-19 14:10:56

I tried to report someone after they drove into the side of me on a roundabout at less than 10 miles an hour, despite being able to see me for about 100 yards before he did so.

He was elderly, more to the point, he was very shaky and vague and claimed not to have seen me. On his accident claim form he had no idea where I had come from or what my speed was.

I got no joy whatsoever from the DVLA.

Davidhs Tue 04-Jun-19 16:48:11

If telling her family gives no results report her to the police directly, you can do that as a citizen. They will talk to her and give her a simple eyesight test. If she can’t read a number plate at the required distance they will stop her driving.
My father asked for help filling in the licence application at 70 his eyesight was appalling and he had to stop

Nonnie Tue 04-Jun-19 17:14:09

I agree with MOnica. I feel that if you continue to go in her car you could be condoning what she is doing.

Today we were stuck in a jam behind an accident just a few cars in front. We could see people running to help so it must have just happened. We turned round and drove away because there were plenty of people there and it was a narrow road which we hoped would be clear for emergency vehicles. I was quite upset for the people concerned even though I couldn't see the detail so just the thought of causing an accident or being in one is hard to contemplate.

Daisymae Tue 04-Jun-19 17:35:24

You could contact the police if you know she has been drinking and with a bit of luck they will stop her. I do commend you for doing something. I would also refuse point blank to go in her car as a passenger.

artnan13 Tue 04-Jun-19 18:13:08

Thanks for all your advice and thoughts. I think she knows I don't want to be driven by her. As M0nica suggests, I have said no when she has offered to pick me up. There is only one other friend who accepts a lift from her - all the others refuse.
I'm going to speak to an acquaintance who knows this woman's son. He should be aware (can't actually believe he doesn't know) as she drives her grandchildren on occasion. We (I) shouldn't be bothered about hurting her feelings when it's such a serious matter.

SalsaQueen Tue 04-Jun-19 18:29:54

IF she is driving after she's been drinking, never mind the DVLA - report her to the police! The same for driving on the wrong side of the road. Seriously, someone needs to have strong words with her!