Gransnet forums

Chat

White cars

(60 Posts)
NfkDumpling Thu 06-Jun-19 21:57:13

We're thinking of changing our car and seen one we like very much. But it's white. We've never had a white car before as it doesn't seem a sensible colour for messy people like us who are a bit lax when it comes to car cleaning.

But I knew someone who said his white car stayed cleaner than any other colour he'd had, but can this be true? Did he lie?

Does anyone have a white car and if so are they a pain to keep clean or no worse than any other colour?

Greyduster Fri 07-Jun-19 08:27:10

Our last car was a crystal white car and it showed the dirt, but we have had blue cars, red cars, silver cars - they all show the dirt! Look beyond the colour to all the other good things you like about it, NfK.

Teetime Fri 07-Jun-19 09:19:27

I have a White Kia Rio - always looks nice and smart and no dirtier than any other care I have had. It gets a wash about once a month.

shysal Fri 07-Jun-19 09:31:09

In my opinion black and white cars are the worst for showing the dirt, the best are silver and champagne. My silver one is great, but the blackened glass on the rear windows always looks dusty.

Nanabilly Fri 07-Jun-19 09:52:27

We have had 2 white cars and our sons both went out and got white cars straight away as they loved the look of them and none of us ever commented on how dirty they looked as they were no different to the rest.
. Black cars are the worst.

GabriellaG54 Fri 07-Jun-19 15:20:35

5 years back I bought a 2 yr old white 5 series BMW which I cleaned every week...yes...every week, or more often in winter. I dislike dirty cars and when I was too busy to clean it myself a very nice Polish guy used to give it a complete valet by hand.
I sold it for £2.5k more than I paid for it...to the Polish guy, Ksawery.
My present car is a silver E class MB, w leather and walnut interior. I do like white cars and would like an Audi. grin

EllanVannin Fri 07-Jun-19 15:58:22

D has always gone for big cars and had a maroon/wine coloured BMW 7 series with cream leather interior, fabulous.
Present car is a big" beast", but bags of room in it and so comfortable. It's a shiny black Chrysler----like a tank !

How about the little old Skoda that a Liverpool fan bought for £40 which took 4 of them to Madrid and back last week ? He's hanging on to it as a runaround after having been offered big money for it as only 6 exist in the country. It would have cost the 4 of them £800 each air fare. A marvellous story as he said he might even risk Istanbul next year. Good luck to him.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 07-Jun-19 16:05:03

Ellanvannin I saw that story about the Skoda, I bet they had a great time!!!

We have had 3 white cars over the years, used to get them washed weekly. Now have a big black tank of a car and my dark grey metallic convertible, they get just as dirty but I think we are getting slightly lazy on the clean car front !!!!!

Cold Fri 07-Jun-19 18:12:01

Cars are so boring - about 90% seem to be white, silver, black or grey.

NfkDumpling Sat 08-Jun-19 06:30:52

It's white with a black roof. I think we've rather decided to have it as it ticks all the boxes plus a few we didn't know existed.

Test drive on Tuesday. If it drives like a slug there'll be two very disappointed people!

Ginny42 Sat 08-Jun-19 06:38:19

I had a white car and was once mistaken for a taxi when stopped at traffic lights. grin

SpringyChicken Sat 08-Jun-19 06:58:41

We bought a new(to us) car last week. Three years old. Before collecting it, it was sprayed with a special dirt repelling polymer. The salesman said the car won’t need polishing, just a quick wash with water to keep it sparkling. I hope it’s true, I so want to believe it.

NfkDumpling Sat 08-Jun-19 20:37:57

I’ll ask about that Springy. Sounds perfect!

Willow500 Sat 08-Jun-19 20:49:02

My little Aygo is white with a red soft top (special edition) and gets just as dirty as all the other cars I've had (red, black, silver) - husband's is a black beast and is just as bad. He's had dozens of cars over the years all different colours - none are any better than another. Just go for the car you like. I really like yellow cars but never been able to persuade my husband (who has to drive mine sometimes) that it's a good idea grin

blondenana Sat 08-Jun-19 21:19:42

My daughter recently changed her red Mazda for a white one because it is a later model, and it never looks dirty ,but it does look bigger
I asked her if it was a bigger car as well as an updated model, but she said just the same,it;s an optical illusion it seems

Jabberwok Mon 10-Jun-19 11:12:45

We changed our silver Freelander for a modest white Fiat Panda. Like you NikD, I had visions of it showing every mark! But a year along the line I can honestly say that this car doesn't need cleaning any more than any other we've ever owned. So if I were you I'd go for it sooner than having to wait!!

NfkDumpling Tue 11-Jun-19 20:11:24

We went for our test drive today in the demonstration model and liked it only to be told that some other dealer had just snatched the white car with the black roof! All that angst and we missed it!

Sooooo - we're getting a blue one (DH's choice) and I get the glass roof I wanted. Consolation for having to wait until the end of September. Still a shame, I'd quite got to like the idea of a white car!

jackfowler Fri 12-Jul-19 11:53:15

I don't like white car. I always preferred white black car

grannyactivist Fri 12-Jul-19 12:14:57

I have no interest in cars whatsoever and can barely recognise our own, but yesterday I saw a small white car that had a pale orange stripe, orange roof and orange wing mirrors - as much as a car can do I thought it looked really pretty.

Keeper1 Tue 16-Jul-19 21:43:11

I have had three white cars and before those an off white mini and I find they don’t show the dirt. Silver is another good colour for not showing the dirt. It seems that the darker colours are worst for looking grubby. Hope this helps a bit

M0nica Tue 16-Jul-19 21:57:58

I am amazed how many people on here obviously buy new cars. We have never owned a new car in our lives. We buy old comfortable cars and run them until they die. Modern cars are so well made that we have rarely had reliability or expensive repair problems.

My current bright blue car was 5 years old, with a high mileage when I bought it 12 years ago. It has never broken down or had any major repairs. Just an annual trip to the garage for its MOT each year when I also have a Gold Star service and if my mechanic sees any minor problems he contacts me then fixes them.

Why spend thousands of £ on a new car that decreases in value the moment you drive it off the garage forecourt onto the road.

We could afford new cars if we wanted to, but cannot see the point.

Charleygirl5 Tue 16-Jul-19 22:04:51

Whoever decided my car was white should visit Specsavers. It is meant to be a very pale shade of green but to everybody including myself, it looks white. It is normally no dirtier than many other cars but recently every bird for miles around has used it as a communal loo.

Sarahmob Tue 16-Jul-19 22:07:15

I reluctantly bought a white car last year, it seems to stay cleaner than my previous (red) car, so I’d say go for it.

SueDonim Tue 16-Jul-19 22:15:25

If no one bought a new car, Monica there'd be no used cars for you to buy! grin

M0nica Tue 16-Jul-19 23:15:36

I thought new cars were only bought as company cars and for fleets.

SueDonim Tue 16-Jul-19 23:30:03

Our past few cars have been new. Two VW Polos I had from new began developing expensive problems after about five years so I was put off buying a used car after that.

We've always been good at negotiating good deals, too. We still haven't fathomed out how my dh got his last car so cheaply, paying less than for a used version but we're not complaining! He'll keep it for years and years, I expect, until we go down to one car between us.