Gransnet forums

Chat

If you could turn back time

(70 Posts)
Rivernana Wed 08-Jan-20 20:27:34

If you could turn back time how far back would you go? This thought has come about because I have just returned from attending the superb Ben Elton show - We Will Rock You. Enjoyment was tinged with sadness because I did not get the opportunity to attend a Queen concert whilst Freddy Mercury was alive. I have watched their performances on to and he was such a fabulous performer.

Bossyrossy Thu 09-Jan-20 10:44:04

Greyduster - can I recommend researching your mother’s family tree on the internet? You may be surprised, as I was, how much you can learn about your family’s background.

BladeAnnie Thu 09-Jan-20 11:03:30

I don't think I would go back. I didn't feel very wanted by my parents, my first marriage was sh***e but gave me two wonderful daughters. I got out of a bad situation, brought my girls up as a single parent, then at 50 realised my dream of doing a degree. Also at 50 met my DOH, who I am marrying in May!! Also have a beautiful baby GD. Yes I had a bad early life but the positives outweigh the negatives and my life really did begin at 50!!

Saggi Thu 09-Jan-20 11:04:26

I would go back to being 20 again.... as I was engaged on my 21 on my 21st.... worst days work I ever did.

Craftycat Thu 09-Jan-20 11:07:15

I saw all the greats ( including Queen with Freddie) but I never saw Marc Bolan live as I really wanted to but he died before I managed it.
Stones, Beatles ( they were RUBBISH), Otis,Springsteen-Bowie, oh - far too many to list but I'd have loved to have seen Bolan!

4allweknow Thu 09-Jan-20 11:08:46

I would turn back to being born to different parents. My childhood was not happy and has affected me all my life. I would still want my DH and children with whom I would hopefully have had an even better relationship.

Daisymae Thu 09-Jan-20 11:09:16

There's a Saturday night when I was 15 when it would probably have been better if I had stayed at home! Having said that I would have made other mistakes.......

inishowen Thu 09-Jan-20 11:12:13

I'd go back to my teens and not make the same mistakes. However making mistakes is all part of growing up, so perhaps not.

Paperbackwriter Thu 09-Jan-20 11:58:31

I saw Freddie Mercury on stage some time before he joined Smile (who became Queen). He was recruited, from an ad in Melody Maker, as singer to the band my then boyfriend was in. Right from the off it was clear he had total star quality. Lovely manners too. I never did see Queen though. My boyfriend from those days claimed Freddie had 'sold out' but I suspect a massive dose of envy there!

I wouldn't go back in time. Each age has brought something both good and bad and I'm just grateful still to be here, to be (cross fingers) well and to live as I do.

Annaram1 Thu 09-Jan-20 11:58:48

I would go back to the age of 20 when I met my lovely husband. Hormones being what they are I became pregnant and we got married far too young. Never really enjoyed my young years, quite poverty stricken, but time has been reasonably good and I now have my 2 lovely children and 4 fantastic grandchildren. But unfortunately my darling husband passed away 3 years ago. I miss him so much, but would have preferred a bit more time as a single woman in my twenties.

lucywinter Thu 09-Jan-20 12:05:57

I would go back just eight years to be seventy again. Before I lost so much of my strength, and became too short to ride my much loved bike that I had been riding for fortysix years.

travelsafar Thu 09-Jan-20 12:10:48

If i could go back i would tell myself the reasons why i should not have married at the age of 19.

I would find out about further education and tried my hardest to go to Univercity when it did mean so much to go there.

I would have been either a teacher or a librarian two jobs i always wanted but never achieved due to various circumstances.

I would never have married and just been a single independant woman who worked hard and travelled.

I would have been the maiden aunt in the family and devoted myself to my nephews and nieces, brothers and sisters and of course my parents whilst they were alive.

I would have been ME, not the person i am right now in my life.

hulahoop Thu 09-Jan-20 12:12:37

I wish I had moved away when we were younger like my oh wanted .

sarahellenwhitney Thu 09-Jan-20 12:32:30

I would like to go back to when my children had just started school. I would not want to change anything but being so young at the time maybe appreciate my life and what I had more than I did at that time and not taking everything for granted.

Kim19 Thu 09-Jan-20 12:42:37

Wish I could meet up with my Mother again so that I could thank her for my much loved childhood/upbringing. Don't think I ever expressed my love, admiration and respect for her sufficiently. And my husband. He knew all the previous but it would just be nice to do catch up. Mmmmm..

Hetty58 Thu 09-Jan-20 12:44:02

Notagran, I'd miss the childhood. I remember it as an unhappy time. I really loved the years when all my children were young and it seemed as if life would go on forever.

Knittynatter Thu 09-Jan-20 12:46:48

To go back to being 39 when my marriage broke up and to behave in a much more ‘dignified’ manner during my 40s !!

lovebeigecardigans1955 Thu 09-Jan-20 12:52:24

I wouldn't know where to start. If I could go back to my early days at junior school and pay more attention to maths that would be a help.
I am what I am - a middle-aged woman with plenty I could look back on with my fair share of regrets - I could have made different choices but things are reasonable.

Minerva Thu 09-Jan-20 12:54:58

If I could start again with different parents, knowing what I have learned in this life, then I would love to give it a go. But I know there were worse parents than mine and without that hindsight I may well have made some of the same mistakes with the same dire consequences. I suppose I would settle for going back to a time before something terrible happened to one of my children and somehow prevent it.

MiniDriver56 Thu 09-Jan-20 13:01:59

I would go back in time to when my Husband left me, my grief was so bad, I didn’t deal with it well a d it affected my children. They were not always my first priority. I didn’t treat them badly, in-fact I tried to make up for their Father’s lack of interest in all of us after 22 years of marriage the split took me years to recover from. I would love the time to show my children my strengths and weaknesses.

MiniDriver56 Thu 09-Jan-20 13:03:23

Knittynatter I feel exactly the same.

Shesanana Thu 09-Jan-20 13:39:39

I would just like to go back for a short time to when my mum and dad were alive to ask the questions that can now never be answered. And also to ask a few questions of my birth mother. So around 1985 would be about right.

BlueSapphire Thu 09-Jan-20 14:35:45

I would go back to 1969, when I met late DH, to enjoy again all the wonderful times we had together. I miss him every minute.

LuckyFour Thu 09-Jan-20 14:39:18

I had a happy childhood but on reflection I think I married too young, and had a child only a year later. Both my children are good, kind, intelligent people and so are their children, so I shouldn't really have any regrets.

I regret not tackling a bullying manager at the last place I worked. I just decided to leave. I hope to some day meet her by accident and tell her what a nasty bully she was/is.

MissAdventure Thu 09-Jan-20 14:58:48

Maybe I'm overthinking, but if I went back, wouldn't I still have to move forward again and relive the last 10 years or so?

TrendyNannie6 Thu 09-Jan-20 15:27:18

I wouldn’t want to go back I’m happy as I am